2013 SLP Admissions Thread!

Nothing is more stressful than seeing results for schools you've applied to and hearing nothing all day...

I could not agree more! 

It's 3:00 here... I might have to knock off work and hit the pub... since I seem to be doing little else then checking my email and being nervous! 

Good luck!

After reading some feedback, I can see how they could be misconstrued. Again, I do apologize.

:)

Meh... it was said with good intentions and under stress! I'm cool! I hope you are too. These forums seem like a worse and worse idea the closer decisions come... but I can't stay away.

-Chris 

I JUST GOT INTO ECU!!!!!!!!

I actually have a seat in both campus and DE programs right now, so as soon as I decide which program I want, I will let them know.  I still want to wait to hear what USC says, but HOLY FREAKING COW!!!!!!!!!!

I AM GOING TO GRAD SCHOOL!!!!!!! 

I actually have a seat in both campus and DE programs right now, so as soon as I decide which program I want, I will let them know.  I still want to wait to hear what USC says, but HOLY FREAKING COW!!!!!!!!!!

I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!!!!! Congratulations!!!!

Congrats! I dearly hope to be singing the same song too!!!

-Chris 

so freaking pumped!  Dealing with this bronchitis has been a day and a week from you-know-where, but WOW this is more than icing on the cake... this is like a the most perfect thing to end my week, EVER!!! 

so freaking pumped!  Dealing with this bronchitis has been a day and a week from you-know-where, but WOW this is more than icing on the cake... this is like a the most perfect thing to end my week, EVER!!! 

I hope you celebrate as soon as you're feeling better!

CONGRATULATIONS! :) !!!

FINALLY SOME GOOD NEWS ON THESE FORUMS!!!!!! :lol:

Congrats I am so happy for you!

Very exciting!  Congrats!  I did my first undergrad there long ago.  I miss it!

Just to throw my little opinion in on the in vs out of field... I love that people from other fields are passionate enough about SLP to make a switch. As stated before by someone, we all want the field to grow with passionate people. As an in fielder, my only frustration is that I have this degree that is USELESS without a masters. I am often envious of the out of fielders. If they don't get in, they have a plan B already with their first degree. I have no plan B. I have a useless piece of paper. I have no idea where I would get a job or who would hire me at ALL. It keeps me up at night. Its such a hopeless desperation that I think many in fielders share.

Does anyone know someone that didn't make the cut for SLP grad school and successfully went another route? What did they do? Where did they start? Please share

(^^ congrats on ECU!)

I am SO friggin excited!!!!!!!!  WOW!  

I never thought it would happen with my 3.26 in undergrad 7 years ago, but I guess personal factors outweighed it - I also have a MA in Teaching with high marks (but no actual grades, UNC doesn't do grades in grad school) from a top school of education program, and worked really hard on my answers in the supplemental questionnaire (they don't have an SOP).  My GRE scores weren't at the top of the chain, either.  

It's only a matter of time before you guys get some great news.  I was doing some reading of last year's SLP admission threads, and noticed in the signatures that a LOT of people get accepted off of wait-lists.  So, it may be a few more weeks but there is a place somewhere for each of us.  I believed this prior to today, but it's hard to realize or verbalize until you have that acceptance email sitting in your inbox.  While I wait to hear from other schools, I will be praying for all of you to make it! 

Just to throw my little opinion in on the in vs out of field... I love that people from other fields are passionate enough about SLP to make a switch. As stated before by someone, we all want the field to grow with passionate people. As an in fielder, my only frustration is that I have this degree that is USELESS without a masters. I am often envious of the out of fielders. If they don't get in, they have a plan B already with their first degree. I have no plan B. I have a useless piece of paper. I have no idea where I would get a job or who would hire me at ALL. It keeps me up at night. Its such a hopeless desperation that I think many in fielders share.

Does anyone know someone that didn't make the cut for SLP grad school and successfully went another route? What did they do? Where did they start? Please share

(^^ congrats on ECU!)

Just to give you a little perspective, I have a Linguistics degree from my original undergrad, and I worked for 4 years for a large global corporation doing NOTHING related to my degree.  You'd be surprised at how little some types of jobs care about what your degree is in - they just want you to have one.  Trust me, there are jobs to be found out there (and good ones!) that don't require a specific undergrad background.  The degree itself is useful in finding a job in that sense.  I know all the jobs out there are probably not the same kind of work like doing SLP, but I promise your degree is not useless without grad school! :)

Oh, and also - I was in a special management training program at my company, so I didn't even have to go in "entry level" at ground zero.  I started right after I graduated from undergrad, and I promise you - they would have considered SLP majors the same as me, because they had no clue what Linguistics even was!!!  If you're in undergrad now, you should talk to the counselors that help with finding jobs, etc. (or whatever your school has to offer) - IF you had to go another route (which I definitely hope you won't have to!), they should be able to give you some other fields that may fit your needs! 

Where did everyone go?  Dinner time?  I'm sick so the hubby has gone out to get some take-out from our favorite mexican spot.  I figure if I get a burrito, rice, etc, it won't scratch my throat on the way down like my favorite nacho salad dish would.  :-( 

Have an audiology mid-term coming up next week and being sick this week and probably this upcoming weekend is not going to be easy... going to have to force my self to really study tomorrow.  Definitely looking forward to on campus courses.  This online thing (and working full-time) has been very tough.  

Congrats, KCald!

Oh, and I have to chime in on the whole hyper-competitive SLP admissions process: It simply wasn't hyper-competitive until a few years ago. I do believe most CDis applicants were able to be accepted to programs in 2008 and earlier. My friend from college (we graduated in 2008) discovered SLP and applied to GWU on a whim as an out-of-fielder. She had a so-so GPA, a decent GRE, and a small amount of somewhat relevant experience. She was accepted and is now about to complete her degree, but I bet today she could have easily been waitlisted or possibly even outright rejected.

The field is still adjusting to the influx of prospective SLPs. Boulder had an unprecedented amount of apps last year (over 500!) and I believe the year before as well; I won't be surprised if there are even more this year. With the economy tanking and the need for healthcare workers growing, SLP is a highly attractive career due to the degree time frame and job placement.

But as long as you can get into a school, it's good that the SLP programs are still competitive and aren't allowing a glut of applicants in; otherwise I don't doubt that SLP jobs would be harder and harder to find (as we've seen this happen in other professional fields like law). Then you'd end up with very specific bachelor's and master's degrees and nowhere to go.

I am SO friggin excited!!!!!!!!  WOW!  

I never thought it would happen with my 3.26 in undergrad 7 years ago, but I guess personal factors outweighed it - I also have a MA in Teaching with high marks (but no actual grades, UNC doesn't do grades in grad school) from a top school of education program, and worked really hard on my answers in the supplemental questionnaire (they don't have an SOP).  My GRE scores weren't at the top of the chain, either.  

It's only a matter of time before you guys get some great news.  I was doing some reading of last year's SLP admission threads, and noticed in the signatures that a LOT of people get accepted off of wait-lists.  So, it may be a few more weeks but there is a place somewhere for each of us.  I believed this prior to today, but it's hard to realize or verbalize until you have that acceptance email sitting in your inbox.  While I wait to hear from other schools, I will be praying for all of you to make it! 

:D :D :D CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!! I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU!!!!  ;D Any idea which option you would choose??

(Also, i totally freaked out so much when i read your fantastic news that i spilled my dinner on myself... in the middle of the library... cuz i'm classy like that :P )

Two totally un-related points...

For some of reason I am reminded of Dumbledore - "help will always be given at Hogwarts to those who... deserve it" In other words, there will be a place for all who genuinely want to be here. It may not be prestigious, or come on the first try, but I do trust in the process. It could also be that I've been re-reading Harry Potter to stave off the nerves... 

Isn't it "help will always be given at Hogwarts to those who ASK for it?" Doesn't change the general (good!) point you made but I too am a Harry Potter fan haha. Granted I haven't re-read it in a while so you may be right. Read the His Dark Materials trilogy by Phillip Pullman if you get through the thousands of HP pages and are still waiting :)

Hey all,

For those of you who applied to Northeastern decisions are up! They didn't e-mail, they just posted the decision online.

I got in :)

Best of luck to everyone

Congrats on you Boston school acceptances. I'm in my first year of one of the Boston school grad programs. PM me if you'd like to chat. 

:D :D :D CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!! I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU!!!!  ;D Any idea which option you would choose??

(Also, i totally freaked out so much when i read your fantastic news that i spilled my dinner on myself... in the middle of the library... cuz i'm classy like that :P )

I am really leaning towards the on campus program, and while I'm technically waiting on a few other schools to tell me their news, this program is a top choice for me so I'm very tempted to accept right away.  My husband and I decided to give it a week to hear from the others and then we will make the decision (as this also affects him).  So if anyone is waiting for the distance ed program, I think my spot will be opened up in a few days.  Additionally, we already have the townhouse 25 mins from ECU's campus... and we want to keep it on the market to try to sell it, but it would be easy to move back there again.  

:wub:

I actually have a seat in both campus and DE programs right now, so as soon as I decide which program I want, I will let them know. I still want to wait to hear what USC says, but HOLY FREAKING COW!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats!!! Sounds like the start of a great weekend! :-)

As an addendum, I would just like to make sure that my feelings are very clear. I don't think out-of-field applicants have less of an education/less of a right to apply or attend/less of a right to be an SLP. I think it's great! Our field is growing and expanding, and we need more people to work within it. However, I was told initially that majoring in SLP was necessary in order to be accepted to grad school. It seems to me that at many locations, out-of-field students are a large chunk of the accepted students. This seems a little unfair to me, and I hope you all understand that. After four years of SLP education (a degree that can't be used for anything else, either) and now I'm competing with post-bacc 4.0s. 

Even though GPAs do not determine a person's worth as a graduate student, many programs rank with GPA specifically. My undergrad program does a ranking scale for applicants with GPA alone. As much as we don't want to think so, it is a factor. How much of a factor is unclear, but still. The application process is very frustrating and self-deprecating by itself, but it is even worse when you think that you are competing with GPAs much higher than yours because there were different processes involved. 

I am with Tay on this, and I don't really understand the concept of a degree in SLP alone (as I am about to graduate with one :P). 

I agree 100%! I truly believe that these graduate programs need to wake up. The numbers and acceptance statistics just do not make sense. From my undergrad experience there were about 125 that graduated in CSD. When you break everything down the numbers don't add up. Sure, you have to take into account that some students do not go on into a master's degree, but the majority do...and I'm not much of a math person but if I think about my undergrad school alone--125 graduated in my class alone and 25 got in. Hello, earth to graduate schools....there are so many exceptional students ready to be audiologists and speech-language pathologists and the projection of this field is growing and needed throughout the country. So how about accepting more students into graduate programs....this 25-30 number blows my mind. 

Sorry for the rant, I'm just soooooooo tired of this! :blink:

Edited by kd0110