2013 SLP Admissions Thread!

Question! How important do you think it is to have a professor with similar interests as you in the academic faculty of the program? I'm pretty sure I won't be doing a thesis, so does it really matter? Some clinical faculty have similar interests to myself, but not academic professors...

But it looks like a few of the accepted people from this year are likely declining as are some of the WL folks, so I hope that opens up something for you!

I hope so too, although I know a few people from th thread last year also declined. I wonder if they ever pull from the waitlist or not.

Hm. It didn't look to me that anyone was accepted off of USCs waitlist in results any of the past years.

You have to remember that not everybody who applies to grad school posts on tgc. There may have been people pulled off in years past, but they did not post it on the results board.

Ack! Locked my car keys in the house on my way out the door to work this morning.... The keys I grabbed are to my hubby's truck and its only the key fob so I can't even drive it.... What a way to start the day! And its COLD outside! Waiting for hubby to get home so I can get the right set of keys...

Thinking of all of you who are still waiting to hear... Hopefully today will be a big day for you as far as hearing back, or making a decision!

You have to remember that not everybody who applies to grad school posts on tgc. There may have been people pulled off in years past, but they did not post it on the results board.

Have to agree with this... If I went by results on TGC for who is going to ECU or who has been accepted to ECU on campus this fall, I would think I am in a class by myself, LOL, because all of the posts on the results board are for the distance program. It seems like there aren't as many NC or SC residents or applicants posting on TGC as I would expect. USC did state that they often do pull from the wait list because these "cream of the crop" applicants usually get accepted multiple places. Holding out hope for jmarti that your wait lists, or your "waiting to hear" schools come through!

Have to agree with this... If I went by results on TGC for who is going to ECU or who has been accepted to ECU on campus this fall, I would think I am in a class by myself, LOL, because all of the posts on the results board are for the distance program. It seems like there aren't as many NC or SC residents or applicants posting on TGC as I would expect. USC did state that they often do pull from the wait list because these "cream of the crop" applicants usually get accepted multiple places. Holding out hope for jmarti that your wait lists, or your "waiting to hear" schools come through!

I don't know if this is the appropriate thread for this question, but I noticed in your signature that you took a number of distance pre-requs. May I ask how that experience was and whether or not you would recommend it?

I don't know if this is the appropriate thread for this question, but I noticed in your signature that you took a number of distance pre-requs. May I ask how that experience was and whether or not you would recommend it?
I am taking 2 online prereqs at Utah State University. I was originally planning on taking prereqs at La Salle's online program but learned about USU on this forum. They are only $260 per credit compared to La Salle's $750 per credit. I'm taking phonetics and anatomy and physiology of speech. I was a little hesitant about taking online classes because I never had before, but my experience has been great. For my anatomy class, there are 6 exams and you need to find a proctor. The professors post all of the lectures online so you can listen, pause, rewind, and take really thorough notes. My phonetics class doesn't require a proctor, but there are open book tests, quizzes, case studies, and you have to turn in transcription assignments. Hope this helps!

I have taken 3 pre-Reqs at Utah state online, and I second all of that. I really enjoy them, feel like I've learned a lot, and they cost the same as my local in state school. Plus, some of them let you work ahead, so you can finish before the end of the semester. AND they offer them all every semester with like 200-300 spots so you can pretty much always get whatever course you want!

I declined my offers at MGH, Emerson, and Northeastern. Hope that helps some of you on waitlists to hear back soon!

Officially attending Boston University next year! Yayyyyyy

When this summer is done, I will have completed language development, biology plus a lab (local community college for cheap), phonetics, A&P, intro to audiology, artic disorders, neural processes of language, and aural rehabilitation. I started at Longwood university online, it's basically a formality of a application and you're in for the pre-reqs. They don't offer all of those courses, so I had to look at Utah State for artic disorders, and Alaska for neural processes. They have all been online. I love the Longwood classes- there is a bit of self-motivation you have to do, but I have had some good classmates and good professors along the way. The exams are not proctored with Longwood, but they are definitely hard- I feel like I have learned SO much along the way. Compared to an in-class experience, there is some lag time on getting questions answered through blackboard, but totally worth doing since I work full time. The Alaska class is considered e-live, which means I have to show up online from 4:30 to 7 Alaska time, which is 12:30 on the east coast, but its only once a week and since I am a teacher, I opted to take this class during the summer. I only have to take two Thursdays as half days of work, and the rest is all during my time off, thank goodness.

Caution, look up tuition rates if you have a choice between multiple universities. USU and UAA do not charge out of state rates for these classes. Longwood out of state rates boils down to $1903 per course, which isn't ideal, but I really have enjoyed my courses and connected with professors who were more than happy to write my LOR's, so I feel like it was worth it for the four courses I have take there.

Taking pre-reqs at multiple universities is not the easy route, but there just aren't a lot of options to get all of the courses I needed for my target university or the others on my application list... I would have done all of my pre-reqs through ecu's program since it was my target university last year when I started looking, but I missed the deadline to get a spot last spring (march 1st), the waiting list was over 140 long just for the pre-reqs.

I should also add, last spring when I started looking at applying to SLP programs I knew nothing about any of this and Longwood was the only program for pre-reqs besides ECU I found. If I had known about Utah State I might have gone that route, but from what I have read from current USU students, I probably would have contacted my former profs from undergrad or my first masters for the LORs, it seems like the interaction isn't strong enough with USU online for maybe the best LORs from what I read, although this is only my initial impression, I could be wrong. My only issue is that I completed these two degrees in 2006 and 2007 respectively, so I needed more current LORs.

I wish that would happen! lol :)

I am so tired of waiting..I feel like some schools won't even notify me till after THE April 15.

& WHY is SIUC taking so long?

Yea waiting on SIUC is so frustrating...should have heard something by now, ugh! I called last week and the week before so I don't wanna keep calling but I was under the impression all decisions (good or bad) would have been out by now.

My boss keeps interviewing SLP-A's to fill my position when I "get into grad school"...... Ughh, no pressure. I wish I had as much confidence in myself as she has in me! Still have 3 schools to hear from! -__-

May I ask about your experience as an SLP-A...as in what were you able to do? Full-time? Etc?

Some people have now actually found out that they are waitlisted at USF. I have tried calling the department several times but no one actually answers there.

Both people who posted they were waitlisted go to school there though, so maybe they found out directly? Hmmm...

Some people have now actually found out that they are waitlisted at USF. I have tried calling the department several times but no one actually answers there.

theyre probs intimidated to answer cause theyre like omg its jmarti, shes famous on tgc and we love her and she is accepted!

good luck!!! im crossing my fingers for you!

kcald, your transcript fees must have been insane. Holy cow!

Yeah... UNC (both degrees on one Tx request, thank God), plus community college, plus Longwood for my applications.... But In August, I will have to send final TXs from Longwood, now UAA, and USU... Thankfully ECU will pull my transcript for free since I am going there for the grad program... Not looking forward to it. That's also why I could only apply to a max of 7 programs.

Ha, my mom is so funny! For the past few days, she's been sending me a text every afternoon updating me on the contents of our mail. :P

I make my mom call me on days I am thinking something may be coming!!!  I even made her read an entire letter to me the other day...... whoops! :)