2013 SLP Admissions Thread!

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if anyone still looks at this thread, but I wanted to check back in and say "hi" now that i've survived my first week of grad school/clinic!!! Classes haven't been too hard, but doing all the lesson plans/treatment plans/room decoration/activities takes a LOT of time.  It's totally worth it, though, once you get to be in there with the client(s)!  :D

and huge congrats to badgerina! I know you'll love UW Madison!

Not sure if anyone still looks at this thread, but I wanted to check back in and say "hi" now that i've survived my first week of grad school/clinic!!!

You're not in clinic already, are you? Or do you mean you're preparing for for clinic?

Edited by clydeyo12

Yep, they really do throw us into our first clinical practicum the first week! Right now, all of us grad students are doing the 4-week intensive literacy camp, so we each have 2 school-aged clients for 3 hours/day, 4 days/week! After camp, we will switch to a more traditional clinic schedule. :)

Thanks guys! I'm pretty stoked. I actually had to respond the next day to make sure I hadn't dreamed the email!

For other applicants maybe next year, our class is 25 total. Seems to be about 15 Madison alumni, 10 out of state, no other WI schools as far as I can tell at first glance, I think 2 from Madison's post-bacc program. Someone next year will be dying to read that is my guess :)

Congrats on your decision, badgerina!

Best wishes my fellow, Wisconsinite and almost-classmate!

Best wishes to you too fellow Wisconsinite! UWM has an awesome program, enjoy it!

Yep, they really do throw us into our first clinical practicum the first week! Right now, all of us grad students are doing the 4-week intensive literacy camp, so we each have 2 school-aged clients for 3 hours/day, 4 days/week! After camp, we will switch to a more traditional clinic schedule. :)

That seems kinda crazy to me. So they have you treating clients without any foundational coursework aside from undergraduate prereqs? Is that normal?

That seems kinda crazy to me. So they have you treating clients without any foundational coursework aside from undergraduate prereqs? Is that normal?

I don't think it's *that* unusual.  (The majority of the grad students are in their 2nd or 3rd semester of grad school-- just 11 of us are "newbies".)  We are all in-field students who have completed 25 observation hours & clinical methods classes.  We also had a few days of "boot camp" prior to therapy, and we received pre-assembled boxes/binders with lesson plans and therapy materials.  Our clients had already been evaluated, so we just had to choose which games/activities to implement (from the set we were given), and what order to do them in.  We have extremely close supervision, and we have to get all lesson plans/treatment plans Okay-ed by our supervisor beforehand. So they really make sure it's impossible for us to screw up haha :)  if a supervisor sees us doing something wrong (not reinforcing, giving the wrong level of support, etc) they will intervene IMMEDIATELY to correct us. So there are several "safety nets" in place :D

I just wanted to chime in and add that most two-year programs I've looked at have students starting clinic within the first few weeks of clases, but, as katieliz noted, with a lot of supervision at first. And supposedly they start you with "easy" cases.

Katieliz, I drove through Waco last week on IH 35 and thought of you.  :-)

I just wanted to chime in and add that most two-year programs I've looked at have students starting clinic within the first few weeks of clases, but, as katieliz noted, with a lot of supervision at first. And supposedly they start you with "easy" cases.

Interesting, I did not know that. My program requires four courses before you start clinic.

My undergrad school and the grad schools that I toured (in Southern California, Arizona, and Washington) all seem to really pride themselves on the fact that new students start clinic the first or second week of the program. At my undergrad, seniors who have completed 25 hours of observation by the end of their fall semester are even allowed to take a clinic client for their capstone class, with the professor's permission. There is a huge amount of oversight, though. My undergrad also has those clinic rooms that are wired to a central room, which makes it easier to supervise. The professor's sit in a little command center and observe all of the therapy session, and intervene if necessary. 

I'm actually a little nervous about being thrown straight in to clinic, but everyone keeps telling me that's the best way to learn. 

Editing to Add: Obviously, the undergrads are not acting as full SLPs. The professor in charge is present for all evaluations, and interviews, reviews all of the lesson plans, and signs every single document. I just felt like I should clarify that, just in case. :)

Edited by arrowgirlie

I know that at USF, we are starting in the clinic during the first semester after a few weeks worth of "boot camp" to get us situated. I am absolutely terrified, but I know that it's the best way for me to learn and become a wonderful SLP.

On  a side note, is anyone in this thread currently taking neuroanatomy at ENMU (online, of course)?

Interesting, I did not know that. My program requires four courses before you start clinic.

I didn't know that either. Yikes...I would be so nervous! The only thing I did in undergrad was get my 25+ hrs of observation..no clinical practice. I won't be starting clinic until my second semester, followed by a summer internship.

I think the program I'm going into for the Fall does 1 week of orientation and then they start getting you in the clinic.  I'm a little nervous, especially being out of field, but they say there is a lot of guidance that first semester.  The second semester, since all of the 2nd year graduate students are off doing their full-time internships, the first-year students are the ones running the clinic, so I'm definitely going to "glean" all I can during that first semester so I'm ready for it!  It's almost the middle of June now and I'm so pumped for  August... just have to get through the last three pre-req courses this summer and I'm home free after July 31!! 

Does anyone know a good online "Language Disorders" course? I can only find articulation/speech disorders ones. ENMU has one, but its only disorders found in children. UF's isn't offered when I need it. USU's is articulation (that's different, right? more like speech?). :(

Does anyone know a good online "Language Disorders" course? I can only find articulation/speech disorders ones. ENMU has one, but its only disorders found in children. UF's isn't offered when I need it. USU's is articulation (that's different, right? more like speech?). :(

I'm pretty sure most language disorders classes are in children! I know my undergrad course was "Language Disorders in Children".

• 4 weeks later...

My hubby and I have moved for school and I'm loving the new area.  He got a new job (YAY!!!!) and he so far loves it.  I'm finishing my last three pre-req courses in the next two weeks so I'm pretty stressed at the moment ... still unpacking and organizing the house, and dealing with little bits of life along the way - gotta get a recall repair done on the Prius tomorrow or Tuesday, and now I have to reschedule my podiatrist's appiontment, and need to schedule my acupuncture for the residual swelling in my foot... a bit overwhelming to say the least.  I have applied for a GA position but I don't know if the hours will work with my CSDI coursework / clinicals... who knows. We'll see. 

• 5 weeks later...

Just saying hi.  I moved to Boston and did my five prereq courses at BU this summer (what a whirlwind), am now studying for a competency exam so I don't have to take another prereq, and start grad classes on September 3rd.  I can't believe that a year ago around this time I hadn't even officially decided to apply yet!  I hope everyone else is doing well. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi you guys!!! I hope you all are surviving the first few weeks of grad school :P I start clinic on Monday, and I am so excited/nervous. I have two clients (one preschool, one school age) and I even made my first treatment plans this week. I'll be checking in to see how you all are doing. Thinking of you!

It's been a crazy few weeks for me!  Started three weeks ago, and it has been like an unstoppable downhill roller coaster ride!.  I have been assigned a pt. in the in-school clinic and I'm excited to meet them this week.  I've also been talking with supervisors about my off-campus internships (which won't be until next school year, but I'm a long-term planner).  It's all very exciting but very nerve-wracking, too!  I am in the middle of studying for my first two exams, and wondering if I'm doing enough work in my studying efforts.  I'm also meeting with professors about a research thesis topic (narrowing my ideas down).  I did all my pre-reqs via DE online courses, so the transition to full-time on campus has been difficult, but very beneficial.  Hope you all are doing well, would love to hear some updates from you guys as well!  Best of luck to you all!  

Just peeked back at this thread, and I loved hearing what y'all have been up to! CatSLP, i hope your thesis stuff goes well-- let us know which topic you end up choosing.

Since I opted to start in June, I'm in my third (yikes!:/) clinical placement now...  8 hours/week in the hearing clinic, and 10 hours/wee (5 clients) in the lang&literacy clinic.  I've also just started working 10hrs/week as a GA, so I get to TA for an undergrad class, which is really fun :)

I have to say, the chaos of grad school is MUCH better than the stress of application season last year ;) 

Glad to see that everyone is doing well! I have mostly undergrad courses this semester, but each course has tons of required observation hours, so I am getting PLENTY of chances to watch grad clinicians/SLPs do some fabulous work. It is hard to believe that I will be a clinician this time next year.

I get to see my first actual pt. in clinic today... SO nervous, but in a good way.  They keep telling me "you can't kill them," but I definitely want to make sure what I choose a a therapist is beneficial for the pt. and helpful for my own learning, so ... here we go!  Off to campus! :-)