Ellensburg, WA

Dexterchi

From what I've heard, nothing, but to each his own. A lot of people I knew who went  to school there always came out to Seattle on the weekends frequently, which is itself a scary hour drive through the pass. Personally, I wouldn't care if I was in graduate school study as I would be wholly committed to my program.

It's a small city. It has easy access to the Cascades if you like to hike, there is a robust "outdoors" community, and the surrounding landscape is striking. There are some interesting paleontological and archaeological sites in the surrounding area that you can visit, if you are into that sort of thing.  Because it is on the Columbia Plateau, the climate is pretty different than what you might think of for Washington. I'd take a look at climatologies on wunderground or some other weather site to get an idea what that entails, but the weather is much drier and more seasonal. I think the biggest cultural thing is the annual rodeo, but the one in Pendleton is better, although a long drive. Because it is a college town, it has more going on than comparably sized cities in the region, but that is still fairly minimal compared to any major city.