When is it appropriate to ask about funding?

Greenbeans19

So I found out a couple weeks ago that I got into a certain sociology PhD program. I'm very excited! However, there is no mention of funding, and funding is an absolute essential for me to go back to school When is it appropriate for me to ask about what type of funding they are offering me? And who should I direct this question to--my department contact or the graduate school itself? I don't want to come off the wrong way, but I am dying to know!!

I would ask someone in your department at your current school when would be appropriate to ask just to be safe on timing but I would say that you should email the graduate director and politely ask if your candidacy will be funded or not as it will help you in making your decision in a more timely manner. Good luck!

I think it's totally acceptable to ask about funding.  I would probably ask whoever sent you the offer, when funding decisions are made and what type of funding is available.

I totally agree with this.  DEFINITELY let them know that you're a)interested b)excited c)need to know their anticipated funding (if any) of your program to help you evaluate this lifetime decision that you will make in the very near future.

Even if you only got into 1 program, it's fine to phrase it this way because, like you said, if they are not offering funding, then why are you wasting your time.  Just ask!  Hopefully you'll have an answer before the weekend.  :rolleyes:

I agree with rising_star -- wait until you get the official acceptance letter. If you get an official letter (which usually also tells you that you must decide by a deadline) without a funding offer, then you should ask! However, usually informal conditional acceptances are followed by an informal phone or Skype call with the purpose of providing you with more information and answer any of your questions. If they don't tell you about funding at this point, and they ask if you have questions, then it would be okay to ask about funding, in my opinion. They might say it's not confirmed yet (otherwise they would have told you probably) but they could still tell you the normal funding levels.