GPPI in Results Database

Dinosaur7

Not going to lie...I'm freaking out a bit that so many people heard from GPPI today (according to the results database) and I didn't. Can any of you chime in and indicate when you submitted your application? Anyone else apply to G-town and not hear today?

I heard back today and submitted my application just before New Year's Eve, but my last LOR did not get in until the 14th of January.  A look at last year's results showed Georgetown releasing results well into March for what it's worth.

I am certainly not in a position to speak for the university, but it may have just been their first round?

Edited by Rugger

I submitted (with everything ready) on December 22nd, and was notified today of my acceptance. I was really surprised and not expecting it, as last year's notifications were sent in march according to the database.

I would bet they send notifications in waves, so no reason to worry yet.

I found out today as well, I submitted it on january 15th and it was all complete by then. For what is worth I am international and my last name starts with the first 10 letters of the alphabet!

Meh, well thanks guys. I'm still hopeful but less so, particularly about funding. Were you all asked to submit that bonus essay for scholarship consideration that last year's thread talked about?

I checked, and they definitely have all of my documents--the application was marked as completed on January 3rd. Bleh.

Not going to lie, I thought I had a decent shot at GPPI. This feels like a kick to the gut!

I am one of the lucky ones who found out yesterday, but no word on funding (the email said those considered for funding will be contacted separately). If you browse last year's threads, it seems that they really do release results in batches, and plenty of people seemed to get admissions offers with funding well into March. I too submitted on the 15th (complete a few days later), and I don't think I had a stellar application, so it really does seem random. Keep the faith!

Just to chime in - I submitted my application on the 15th but have not yet heard back.

However in their system it says my application was completed on the January 18 - perhaps it took a long time to process my transcripts? Hope that doesn't put me in the 'non-priority' box.

Someone mentioned here it could be done by alphabetical order. Might be true since my last name starts with a C. there is no reason to lose hope at this time, they do it in batches from what I have noticed from too many hours spent on this forum. Most schools still admit until Mid-March. I also received the email for the statement today.

As for stats:

Bachelor's in Finance (Economics minor) from a small state university. GPA:3.98

GRE: V160, Q167, AW 4.5

Languages: French (native) , English (fluent), Spanish (fair), Some African languages

Work experience: volunteered throughout college with different on-campus organizations, 6 months working with a family business

Got it - last name starts @ the end of the alphabet so we'll see. I'm not concerned w/ admissions so much as funding.

Me too! This makes me feel a little better. If anyone wants to also confirm this theory, please feel free! :)

For the record, my stats are comparable to those on the results database--plus I have a good 3.5 years of related experience under my belt and went to a competitive undergrad institution. Don't want to say too much re: my specific stats until I get a decision...what if they read here?!? Hahaha.

Hey I seem to have created a rumour about last names, I know for a fact some schools system orders you by last name, thus first ones receive a decission first. No idea if this is the case in GU though and with Alf1008 it doesn's seem likely, even though he is from Costa Rica and US computers don't handle the whole double last name Latin American thing very well so who knows. I think we cannot really believe anything, it can be that those ofus admitted are good enough to get in but need additional info for scholarship and those who havent are so good you don't need that. Or it might be internationals first (some of our cases) and very very competitive Americans and then everyone else, or they might just have gradcafe stalked us and liked our profiles hehehe. My point is as we do not really know it is best to just wait and hope for the best. Good luck and yikes about the whole "less than a week to write a SOP thing"

Hey dalu, do you have to send the scholarship essay by 2:00pm on Wednesday?

If that's the case, it wouldn't seem logical that some people get notified before others and still receive the notification for the essay due Wednesday. Also, it wouldn't make much sense that they adapt the due date depending on when the email is sent.

Maybe this first wave they sent was for people who will compete for a scholarship, and they'll send the other ones later. I don't know, I'm just speculating.

Edited by alf10087

Hey dalu, do you have to send the scholarship essay by 2:00pm on Wednesday?

If that's the case, it wouldn't seem logical that some people get notified before others and still receive the notification for the essay due Wednesday. Also, it wouldn't make much sense that they adapt the due date depending on when the email is sent.

Maybe this first wave they sent was for people who will compete for a scholarship, and they'll send the other ones later. I don't know, I'm just speculating.

From what I read from threads from the last years , they do it by waves. No idea what it depends on. But they seem to ask for scholarship essays from admitted students by waves too, even for those admitted later. For those are stressing out, you can check this thread and hope for the best:

Edited by Hopefulodi

Hello everyone, thanks for starting this thread Dinosaur 7. As everyone has said, GPPI definitely does waves of acceptances, and I know I saw in a previous year that someone who wasn't accepted until mid-March got a scholarship.

I completed my app 1/13, and I have been accepted and invited to write the scholarship one-pager by Wed at 2 pm. I have a 3.14 GPA (yes, you read that right, hope it gives hope to others), 170 Verbal, 163 Quant, and 3 years of relevant policy experience. (My last name is in the latter half of the alphabet, sorry. It appears the AdCom moves in mysterious ways.)

People who are writing the scholarship statement: How are you formatting it? Are you doing it like a letter "Dear Members of the Committee [statement] Sincerely, Name" or just an essay?

Good luck guys!