Help deciphering an e-mail response

speeddemon608

In response to a question about visits for prospective students (mid-decision) and a timeline for final decision, I got this response from a grad chair:

We are finishing up the review process so you should be hearing from us very soon. You are always welcome to come and visit and I definitely encourage you to do so; I would also strongly suggest looking up faculty who are conducting research that interests you and then seeing if you can meet to discuss potential mentorship. I hope this helps.

I know it's of no use reading into these, but somehow I need to kill some time. What do you think, secret message of rejection or acceptance? This response seems to be a particularly nasty shade of 'neutral,' tough to say.

On a more practical note, should I now be redirecting the original question to the professor that I mentioned in my SOP?

I'd either read that as "You're in, but I can't officially say that you're in" or "We're strongly considering you, but we want you to demonstrate your strong interest by visiting / reaching out to professors".

In either case, I'd not sit idly by. I'd follow up, and show them you're seriously considering attending (if you are, at least).

We are finishing up the review process so you should be hearing from us very soon. You are always welcome to come and visit and I definitely encourage you to do so; I would also strongly suggest looking up faculty who are conducting research that interests you and then seeing if you can meet to discuss potential mentorship. I hope this helps.

If I were you, I'd most certainly read positively into this. I would in fact go ahead and place my bets on an acceptance coming your way. There is no way they'd say this to somebody unless they're almost sure they'd extend an offer to the person. Anyway, that's just my perception, wait and see what others think. Exercise caution though, I don't mean to give you false hope. I was only commenting on how I'd have interpreted this email if I were you. I agree with nyfilmfest, it should pay off to pay them a visit ASAP. Good luck!

that could just as easily be a copy and paste job that is sent to all of those currently not yet rejected who email to inquire about their status.

however, you should still follow through with what the grad chair is recommending you do.

that could just as easily be a copy and paste job that is sent to all of those currently not yet rejected who email to inquire about their status.

True! There's no way of being certain, but I don't think there's any reason to be pessimistic at that response, at least.

Best case: it means "We can't *officially* tell you you're in, but if I were you, I'd start apartment hunting around here"

Worst case: it's a generic e-mail sent to everyone who hasn't been rejected yet.

The good news? I really, really doubt they would send an e-mail like that to someone who had a rejection on the way in the mail.

Good luck!

I'd say that's pretty positive...

I don't think they would encourage an offer to visit and contact faculty (which is time consuming for the faculty, as well) to someone who they are not considering at all. It takes time and energy on all parts - I doubt they would waste their own faculty's time on someone they were not seriously going to consider for admission.

But then again...it very well could be a standard response...I guess?

In response to a question about visits for prospective students (mid-decision) and a timeline for final decision, I got this response from a grad chair:

I know it's of no use reading into these, but somehow I need to kill some time. What do you think, secret message of rejection or acceptance? This response seems to be a particularly nasty shade of 'neutral,' tough to say.

On a more practical note, should I now be redirecting the original question to the professor that I mentioned in my SOP?

The email said it "strongly suggests looking up faculty...", so I'd go ahead and start looking up some faculty! Who knows how to read this email as a rejection/admission clue, but I would at least take it at face value and get in touch with some profs.

Thank you guys for all the thoughts. I don't think it's a generic e-mail since it responded to my question about visits for mid-decision prospectives. It does seem like that wouldn't be sent out to someone they knew was rejected. After a solid string of rejections so far, I feel better that I can indulge my hopes a little more (still can't expecting anything though!).

As the response and some of you suggested, I went ahead and sent an e-mail to the professor I mentioned in my statement of purpose. I said that it is a top school on my list now (true statement), I'm interested in his research, and that I'd like to visit. Still waiting on that response, which I think will have to be a little bit more telling. I was pretty hesitant to send the e-mail because I couldn't help but see it as "you've probably already decided whether you want me or not, so should I come visit?", but I'm pretty sure it's worded more appropriately than that. We'll see...

I sent out a similar e-mail to three programs and got very similar responses to yours in every case. One that wasn't quite as positive as yours ended up being a reject after making the shortlist. Another was a waitlist and the third notified me that I made the shortlist and will be hearing from them in the next week or so....so it can end many ways, but I'd say you're at least still under consideration which is a good thing!

So, I got a reassuring response from the professor of interest saying some nice positive things. However he also said that they are still figuring out the financial situation to admit as many good students as they could. So it seems like a little bit of good with a little bit of bad, but it does seem as if the money might be the only hurdle, instead of a poor application which I was fearing to be the case.

I've now also scheduled a visit for when I'll be in the area, which I believe/hope can only be in my favor. I'm beginning to wonder if they'll now delay my decision until after they meet me? The original response from the grad chair said I'd know very soon, but it seems unlikely that they'd send a decision before my visit. I agree with most of you guys that I think the series of events is for the best, but I can't help thinking I could've known sooner if I just sat still! Oh well, here's to a few more anxiety filled weeks.