UPenn vs UofChicago -- MSW

mstea

It's hard to give you advice or thoughts without knowing what your concerns or priorities are. :)  I don't know much about MSW specifically, but both of those schools are very well-respected in general.  Some initial thoughts:

Did you visit the programs? What did you think of the campuses?  What did you think of the faculty? Philadelphia is a slightly cheaper place to live than Chicago -- how important is that to you?  Where do you want to end up working? You will have an easier time networking locally or regionally near school you attend -- but, of course, you aren't limited to networking nearby. 

Have you looked at the course and work requirements?  Which program has more interesting coursework?  Which seems to have better internship/placement opportunities?  Do you have a particular interest within Social Work, like forensic work or work with children?  If so, is one program better designed to emphasize that area?  Does one have more faculty in that area in the other?  Does one have better placement in that area than the other?

Are you moving with a spouse, partner, or children?  How will each of these areas be for them?

I like a lot of Angua's points, but actually I do not agree that Philly is the cheaper place to live. I suspect they're roughly the same overall, but food and utilities costs are almost certainly higher in Philadelphia. Google the cost of living in these places if that is important to you.

They're both in the top 20 for your field, but Chicago appears to be the better program (always in the top 5) based on the rankings I've seen. And given social work's ties to sociology and the immense importance of "the Chicago School" in that field, I personally can't imagine that I would pass up that opportunity. That said, UPenn does carry that Ivy League brand.

On the other hand, why choose a school based on its rating or prestige? If too few faculty members align with what you want to do specifically, you might not be happy there. Maybe this sounds ridiculous, but you may want to read the biographies of some professors (and maybe their publications, too) and see where you align.

However, there is only one real official answer here...

You need to make a list of pros and cons.

Thanks for replying everyone! I haven't visited Penn but I've visited Chicago. I liked the diverse vibe since I'm free the bay area. I felt like I could live there immediately. I think I'm going to have to make a visit. I have a dog. Both places seem pet-friendly. Partner is a non-issue. I love the vibe of both programs so far... but it seems like a lot of Penn's classes are lectured by Chicago grads (in Social Work at least)... so I don't know. I will do the pros and cons list but I was wondering if anyone had some general ideas. Thanks again everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

I second Angua's suggestion of comparing the "fit" of each program to your interests and professional aspirations. Before applying for MSW programs this year, I spent a lot of time researching programs (including digging into professor's bios) to figure out which schools most closely aligned with my goals and passions. I'm re-evaluating those same issues now as I juggle my admissions offers and try to make a decision as well.

If it was me, I'd choose U Chicago, because I feel like within the field it's one of the best. But, the "best" really depends on what you're going for and how well the program suits your needs.

The funny part is, I'm sure you'd enjoy your academic experience at either place! That's what I keep reminding myself when I get stressed about the decisions, anyway. Best of luck!