Reapplying- How? Why? Is there a point?

Dearest gradcafe users,

I want to thank everyone for their comments and advice- you've all made this process a lot smoother.

Unfortunately, it looks like I'm going to have to reapply next year. Therefore, I wanted to know if there are people here that reapplied to the same schools this year (after being rejected) and got accepted (if so- CONGRATS!).

From my understanding, if you were waitlisted and reapply, you have a higher chance of getting in. However, if you were automatically rejected, there's almost no point of reapplying.

I'd be happy to hear personal experiences (hopefully success stories), advice, guidelines, etc.

Wishing everyone the best of luck!

This is interesting--my profs all have told me that reapplying is actually a really good bet, even if you were outright rejected the first time. Several of them know colleagues that got themselves in the door to some great schools by applying twice. They told me that it shows perseverance and lets the schools know that you are very serious about their program. But maybe this isn't always the case? I've never heard anyone say that reapplying was a waste of time though.

I applied to one school in 2006 and was rejected, but I received a nice letter that basically told me where I went wrong. I did not reapply until this year for boring reasons but I was accepted; however, no funding, so I won't be going. I think it's worth your while if you can get some feedback. I know that my SOP was MUCH better this time around. I think I actually used the old cliche of something like "Ever since I was young, I loved to read..." last time around; it's like saying you're a people-person in an interview...

While I'm all for reapplying, reapplying to the same programs is a mixed bag. I was rejected this year from a school I got into (and did not go to because of funding) last year. On the other hand, I am waitlisted this year at a school that I was outright rejected from last year, and was told the cohort is much smaller and in another year I would have been accepted rather than waitlisted. I chalk this up to a much improved application. I think a lot of it has to do with how much you change and improve your apps in the second round. My writing samples and statement of purpose are much stronger this year. I was also able to focus my research plan much more, which is undeniably helpful.

Still, sometimes you are just not what a program is looking for--the elusive "fit"--and I think it's a waste of time to apply to all the same programs a second time around. The University of Washington has now rejected me three times, first for a master's (2003) and twice for a PhD (2008 and 2009)--and I currently work for them! But, the program is just not as good of a fit as far as research expertise and university resources (for instance, I am not studying literature and culture of Asian and Indian Americans).

Maybe pick one or two top schools that you want to try to send a better application to next year. You might try to find a different emphasis or different faculty to mention in your personal statement, as whatever you said this year did not seem to do the trick.

For the rest: mix it up. Research new schools you never even thought to apply to. See where people on this forum applied and consider some of those schools that you didn't consider this year. And let yourself apply to one or two lower tier or unranked programs. In the end, wouldn't you rather have a graduate degree in a few years rather than a few years of rejections from the best schools in the country? I wish I had applied to more schools of diverse levels last year; then I wouldn't be going through the process again this year. On the other hand, my application and my plan for graduate study is much stronger this year, so maybe there is some reason behind the madness of the application process.

In any case, good luck! There is nothing wrong with having to reapply, and I think you'll probably be more successful next time around.

I want to thank everyone for your quick replies!

The reason I asked is because I know some schools keep your application on file.

I'm afraid that when the time comes, they will compare the two applications and/or reject the current application based on the previous one.

Of course, nothing is certain and your comments will be helpful next year.

One thing I learned throughout this process- some of these schools did me a favor! I wasn't a good "fit" and next year, hopefully, I'll get into a program I'll be happy to attend.

Best of luck!

M.

I've reapplied to different schools at different times. My current school that I've been accepted to is a three timer (one rejection, one wait list and now one full press courting). Before that, I had applied to another school four times and some others a couple times. It definitely boils down to fit -- I did do a master's at one school I had applied to four times, but the DGS and I had a good conversation and it just isn't the school for me and we both knew it. I kept sending that application in, though! The school I'm in at, however, jut needed me to get everything together and present it well. Which took me a little longer than I thought it should have. But that's my issue, not theirs. I'd say that you should take a good look at your app, get some advice from your LoR peeps (advice you DON'T want to hear vs. car waxing) and then really evaluate the schools you are looking at. Make sure they aren't rejecting you because you just don't fit in with what they need/want in a student. Then reapply away. It didn't kill me and I did it four times, not including the apps for my MFA back in 2002. Here's a good tip for when people ask what you are doing and it's sort of embarrassing: just say you are working towards a PhD. No one has to know that you are working towards it on your own. I've been pawning that one off on my grandma for four years now.

Nothing is certain in this whole process. That is about the only general truth.

I was waitlisted in a program last year that I got rejected from this year. That bites. But shows that just because there was some interest last year, it doesn't mean there is interest this year. Will I try again next year? Hells yeah!! I attended a conference at this very campus this weekend and there was much interest in my paper subject, and of the three presentations in my panel, mine generated the most discussion afterward. I feel a bit of relief that my research is worthwhile and that there can be great interest in it.

I have spoken to many profs and current PhD students who have told me not to give up, even after the second year. But one thing is for sure, I am going to start heavy school research beginning the week after that final rejection comes through--finding that "fit" as it is called. This year will be a radical change of game plan. Last year was a radical revision of SOP and WS. That didn't work. Guess it is time to try some other things.

If this is something you truly want to do, you must keep trying. Same schools? I recommend changing your strategy up to get them to take a fresh look.

The reason I asked is because I know some schools keep your application on file.

I'm afraid that when the time comes, they will compare the two applications and/or reject the current application based on the previous one.

I don't mean for this to be a downer at all, but I really don't think they're looking that closely.

I was rejected from Emory in 2007 and was admitted this year with fantastic funding. I think you should re-apply to schools where your scholarly interests fit with those of the faculty--this is why, I believe, I was admitted this time around; I tailored my application to the strengths of the program.

I have a question about reapplying to schools you've been rejected to:

If you were rejected do your letter writers have to submit new letters when you reapply? Or can they use the letters from last application (say your reapplying again next year)? I'm asking because I still haven't heard from my school yet and if I don't get in I don't want to have to ask my profs to write another LoR just because it seems so bothersome and tedious to do so again.

If you were rejected do your letter writers have to submit new letters when you reapply? Or can they use the letters from last application (say your reapplying again next year)? I'm asking because I still haven't heard from my school yet and if I don't get in I don't want to have to ask my profs to write another LoR just because it seems so bothersome and tedious to do so again.

I'm certainly no expert in this area since I've barely started to think about the process of reapplying, but I don't think it would be a good idea to use the same letters twice, especially if you're applying for a second time. I talked briefly with one of my recommenders and she said that she would be updating her letter to reflect whatever I've accomplished during the year long hiatus. You don't want it to look like you've spent the last year doing nothing, plus I think it shows a certain amount of carelessness on your part if you reuse a letter. But I agree, it certainly is awkward having to ask again but it happens all the time, I'm sure you won't be the first person to need more than one. Just meet with them again, go over the changes you've made to your application and have them make some quick updates to their letters.

It shouldn't be any trouble for them. I think most of them save their letters in case of reapplication requests. What can be beneficial in the LOR, furthermore, is if anyone's been promoted since your first application (this happened to me!)...

One thing that proved very helpful to the busy Prof's I asked this year, since I was applying to over a dozen Universities: I sent them my request along with an Excel Spreadsheet organized by school, type of letter (paper vs. email), due date, and a "finished" column. This was accompanied by a polite note saying they could use it or not, but I know how crazy work can get and if it helped them, fantastic, if not, disregard. They liked it and used it. Don't know if anyone else has ever done this, but I recommend it if you're applying to more than like three or four schools.