U Tennessee

ELM616

• 2 weeks later...

I have also been accepted to Tennessee and will be visiting there in about two weeks!!

I won't be able to visit before I make my decision so please fill us in with your experience when you return. That would be so helpful!

• 3 weeks later...

My visit last weekend was great! I really loved the campus and the area around Knoxville. It really sounds like if you are going to move there find a place in either west or north Knoxville and stay away from south and east with an emphasis on east Knoxville!! But overall nice city with great nightlife downtown on the weekends with plenty of places to find some good live music and a drink. Also having the smoky mountains so close is a plus if you are an outdoor person!

Thanks for the info! I was awarded a really generous funding package so I'm likely to attend. Been looking around on craiglslist and knoxapts.com and the cost of living seems really low, and plenty of available places to rent. North Knoxville looks like the most ideal location to UT, but it's slightly more expensive than West, at least as far as I can tell.

Yes I think that the cost of living there is really low compared to other cities of the same size. As far as accessibility to campus I think that west and north are fairly easy. In the west there is the Kingston pike that goes right into campus. My wife and I are still looking for places to live also and will most likely have to go stay in a hotel for a couple days before school to find something.  

Did you check out any specific apartment complexes while you were there? From looking on Craigslist I've found a few that are dog friendly (a must for me) and seem to be in good locations. Some that look good to me are Woodland West cause its located right on a greenway, and The Gables in North Knoxville is close to Victor Ash park. It turns out they are owned by the same management company. Reviews are mediocre for both, but I've lived in a lot of complexes that have had bad reviews and my experience is that usually a pissed off tenant or disgruntled former employee is the source of such negative reviews.

So I was wondering if you saw any that made a good impression on you?

I did not get the chance to look and any specific places while I was there because I was with the department all weekend but my wife did go look at quite a few and I do not remember specific names of the ones she like but I do know that there are a lot of dog friendly places there ( we are bringing a dog too). If you go to Knoxvilleapartmentguide.com its an awesome website with lots of info on many different apartments. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all.  I have been accepted to Tennessee as well for the upcoming year and have already accepted my offer letter.  Apartguide.com has been really helpful but I have been a little weary of some of the Craigslist postings.  Some of them are "sketchy"; for a lack of better words.  I hope you all continue to have good experiences during your search.  If you come across any positive places you visit please post them on here.  I'm still in the process of apartment searching as well.

Congrats on the acceptance!

• 2 weeks later...

Just signed and sent in my acceptance letter! Cant wait to be VOL

I've been doing a lot of research into apartments. So far everyone has told me its too early to pre-lease. One thing that has surprised me is the amount of application fees and admin fees they charge ($199 app fee in some, $275 admin fee in others) I'm in Vegas now and hardly anyone charges an admin fee. And the highest application fee I would pay is $50

Are you guys focusing your search on a specific area? Any suggestions?

Edited by ELM616

• 2 weeks later...