Oh, Washington...

I know better than to expect Washington's (Seattle) admit process to make sense, but I still get toyed with. People have submitted results that say they've been called or emailed, but Wash's official position is that they will email a rejection and mail an acceptance. Can any of you who have had responses help a brother out?

I haven't heard anything from Washington either, but if what you say is true I am considering that a good thing. Right? I mean, emails only take 5 seconds whereas snail mail takes a while, especially across the country. I figured that people were just sporadically getting rejected for the past month, but the latest results have resucitated a small amount of my optimism . The phone call thing does sound odd, though.

I was told way back in january that they would be sending out results all through march, so I guess they do it on some sort of rolling basis. I got my lovely rejection by email in mid-february. I'm sure you'll be hearing soon! Good luck!

Yeah, the false sense of security is the rub. It's not as if you've moved to the next round. From what I gather, Washington throws their applications on the ground, shuffles them up and then begins to pull each one out, saying "yea" or "nay." I could be way off, but in the past it seems like acceptances and rejections came out all through the month. They're just toying with us.

I got my Washington rejection (via e-mail) at the same day and hour as several people who posted results on this site. I think they reject in batches of e-mail from the Graduate Dean. Unfortunately, I can't speak to acceptance notifications. But at least you are still in the running at this point. Don't take it as being admitted, but it's nice to know you aren't rejected. That stings. Trust me.

From my experience applying to UDub last year, and discussions about them from the last few years, they start at random and make offers until they run out of money. If that means the first ten people are in and the last 600 are out, so be it. They just want to find the first suitable candidates they come upon, I guess.

They also have a tendency to lose application materials. They lost my entire application twice last year.

They blamed me both times, of course.

The secretary just sent me a letter-- per my request--saying that they are still in the review process and no decision has been made. It sounds like your initial assertion about their process lacking all rhyme and reason was right. They are taking their merry time, and I expect to get a rejection on April 24 in the mailbox.

Washington are the only school who I haven't even bothered to press by emailing their secretary with a basic inquiry. I figured the response would be vaguely saying, "yeah, we'll get there eventually." April 24th sounds optimistic. I'm going to hold my breath until July and then they'll go, "oh, hey we have this whole other stack of applications sitting on the floor."