Asking for time off before I start?

YosemiteTam

I was just admitted to a program to start April 1 for the Spring Quarter. Since it was such a quick turnaround time, I was also looking at backup plans for employment if this didn't work out. I was just interviewed for my dream summer job leading backpacking trips, the only problem is that there is a two week training in May. Is it possible that I could work this out? I'm sure it all depends on programs, and advisors, but it sounds like I will be taking classes for the Spring Quarter and starting to figure out my thesis topic.

Would it be considered rude to even make this request? I'm not sure about grad school flexibility/etiquette. 

My understanding is that class profs are accommodating if you are, say, going to miss class because of a conference. If you can make the case it's related, you might get away with it. Of course, the other trick is that missing two weeks of classes could be REALLY hard to catch up on. Perhaps you can run it by your grad adviser as, "I'm guessing I have to turn this down, but it would be such an amazing opportunity that I want to make it work if possible."

Hopefully more experienced students will have more to say.

In May?  Your classwork may already be finished by then - my academic year is over the second week of May, so it's possible that you won't actually miss any class.  Check your academic calendar.

However, if it's early enough in May you may be missing finals, which is completely unacceptable.  I don't think any professor is going to allow you to do that when you know in advance you can't make it.

If you're on a quarter schedule or something else when class will be in full swing in May, then you can't miss two full weeks.

(What kind of summer job has a 2-week training during May?  If it's designed for students, you may find that it's scheduled for later in May to try to get students who have already finished school.)