LBJ in admissions thread

MPPgal

I was in the same situation as you and eventually emailed Prabhu. She told me I had not been recommended for funding (what I expected). I guess no news is bad news, but it never hurts to ask.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Been lurking this thread for awhile - finally decided to join in on the conversation. I'm going to the 8th April admit day, anybody else?

FrenchO and MPPgal - I think full tuition + 14K stipend + one of the hippest, youngest, and dynamic city in the U.S. is hands down a no-brainer. Looking at value proposition alone: as international students, tuition can get extremely expensive. I have experienced that vicariously. IF you can get a free one, go for it (unless in the case of a JD or MBA where attending a top tier school MAY still provide a good value proposition). You all should serious consider visiting if there's any doubt in your mind - it'll be worth investing and making an informed decision on where you want to spend your next two years. 

I'll commit after attending admit day, but my real purpose of attending is to visit friends and apartment shopping. PM me if you wonder why so many people love Austin or a biased opinion on why LBJ over all the other schools you got in - REALLY. I'm on a full ride (not b/c of LBJ) + $24K fellowship from LBJ (MGPS). I'm taking it and running with it like I stole something. 

Well, we will definitely see each other at the Open House on April 8. I am going for the MGPS as well.

Thanks for the opinion, I must say I pretty much agree. Still, I really want to take the most possible informed decision for my next two years !

MPPGal : if we don't have any answer on last Monday Open House, I will keep you posted on the one in two weeks.

Edited by FrenchO

Prabhu's newsletter indicated that Camp LBJ would start in mid to late July, based on last year's schedule. No idea about cost, but I think the formal econ/stats boot camp (which is optional, but not free) comes before. There's a refresher class or two during Camp LBJ but it's not meant to be a prep course.

Camp LBJ is free to attend. No cost at all. It has a heavy math component to refresh concepts and mechanics but doesn't substitute for formal coursework or independent study and the qualifying exams. Rather, Camp compliments all of that. Camp also offers philosophy and policy lectures on a range of topics, many by LBJ faculty who stop in to lead a discussion. It's also very social. You won't be disadvantaged by spending your summer elsewhere but you'll certainly feel much better acquainted with Austiin, UT, LBJ, and your cohort if you attend. Hope that helps. Good luck with your decisions.

Who is planning on attending ?

17th of July is really early, especially for those of us who will be moving from overseas. But it sounds like a nice way to get used to Austin and become part of the LBJ community. And start to have some introduction on Policy issues. Coming from a heavy math background (it's France guys !), I don't need to take any stat exam, but I can certainly help others ;)

Prabhu sent me last year schedule & presentation of Camp LBJ when I inquired for information, so I can share it with anyone interested (PM).

Edited by FrenchO

Who is planning on attending ?   17th of July is really early, especially for those of us who will be moving from overseas. But it sounds like a nice way to get used to Austin and become part of the LBJ community. And start to have some introduction on Policy issues. Coming from a heavy math background (it's France guys !), I don't need to take any stat exam, but I can certainly help others ;)   Prabhu sent me last year schedule & presentation of Camp LBJ when I inquired for information, so I can share it with anyone interested (PM).
It does sound like a nice way to transition!

I just read the course description that Prabhu sent out for Advanced Empirical Methods, and may have whimpered a bit. I have bad memories of game theory being used as a tool by sadistic/bored TAs to trick undergrads on exams. Nonetheless I shall take a deep breath, clutch my pencils, and soldier through....perhaps things will be better when the examples are actually applicable to real world situations as opposed to bargains over imaginary luggage. 

TO everyone interested by the Camp LBJ schedule & description, send me your email address in PM, as I cannot attach files on GradCafe.

I just read the course description that Prabhu sent out for Advanced Empirical Methods, and may have whimpered a bit. I have bad memories of game theory being used as a tool by sadistic/bored TAs to trick undergrads on exams. Nonetheless I shall take a deep breath, clutch my pencils, and soldier through....perhaps things will be better when the examples are actually applicable to real world situations as opposed to bargains over imaginary luggage. 

Haha, I promise Game Theory can be very interesting. Especially when applied to industrial, oligopoly case situations ;)

Does anyone know if there a FB up and running yet? Perhaps this will be a great way to know who's attending/attended the open house, searching for roommates, etc.

make one! or see if there is one in the works to be made soon! I would definitely join that in a heartbeat.

• 2 weeks later...