Eeny meeny miny moe... Decisions?

I know that we're still relatively early in this cycle and there are still a lot of admits awaiting us all (that's the only option, I'm sure), but April 15th is already looming. So, my question is... what factors are you weighing as you're considering? Or rather, what are shaping up as the most important pros and cons- fit? Money? Opportunities for collaboration? Quality of local nightlife? Basically- how do you plan to decide?

I tend to be more of a 'gut reaction' decision maker, but when it comes down to it, for a decision of this level of importance I want to make sure I've asked all the necessary questions of programs, grad students, etc. I even see a(nother) spreadsheet in my very near future.

I know that we're still relatively early in this cycle and there are still a lot of admits awaiting us all (that's the only option, I'm sure), but April 15th is already looming. So, my question is... what factors are you weighing as you're considering? Or rather, what are shaping up as the most important pros and cons- fit? Money? Opportunities for collaboration? Quality of local nightlife? Basically- how do you plan to decide?

I tend to be more of a 'gut reaction' decision maker, but when it comes down to it, for a decision of this level of importance I want to make sure I've asked all the necessary questions of programs, grad students, etc. I even see a(nother) spreadsheet in my very near future.

One of my professors said that if you have looked at everything very closely, and you have narrowed down your visits, pay attention to the gut reaction when you go visit.  He said at some point that emotion will come into the process, and in my experience, I think this is good advice.  At this point, you probably have a decent idea of strengths vs. weaknesses in programs.  My main factor is will you get me to the end goal - will the faculty and the program see to it that I actually finish my PhD and help me to find the #1 goal - a JOB.  Never forget the final outcome you hope to achieve.

One of my professors said that if you have looked at everything very closely, and you have narrowed down your visits, pay attention to the gut reaction when you go visit. He said at some point that emotion will come into the process, and in my experience, I think this is good advice. At this point, you probably have a decent idea of strengths vs. weaknesses in programs. My main factor is will you get me to the end goal - will the faculty and the program see to it that I actually finish my PhD and help me to find the #1 goal - a JOB. Never forget the final outcome you hope to achieve.

One of my profs said the same thing about trusting your gut on your visits. He said o remember that they are going to be on their very best behavior, so if things start seeming fishy/fake, or there are obviously disgruntled students, definitely take note in that.

Congratulations to everyone who has, or will have, options from which to choose. I'm sure there will be lots of suggestions regarding the best questions to ask, things to look for, etc during your visits, but I'd like to add an additional piece of advice. I don't think the value of visits can be overstated, so my recommendation is to visit quite a few places (if you're lucky enough to be invited). It is easy to jump to the conclusion that you will go to school XXXXX (your dream school), and indeed that might be the end result. But visiting schools YYYYYY, ZZZZZ,....., will not only help you be more confident in your decision, but will also allow you to meet and network with faculty in your field, hear different perspectives on the process, and meet your future colleagues. So, even if you're very excited about school XXXXX, I think there is much to be gained by visiting other programs. (If you do this, it's important to keep an open mind and be genuinely interested in and considering the school you're visiting. Nobody appreciates the obnoxious prospective student who isn't actually interested in the school they are visiting and advertises to everyone that they are probably going to school XXXXX instead).

Edited by adaptations

You might want to look at some of the past and current threads on this topic. For example, there's an active thread right now over on the History forum. And, a search of the forum will reveal a lot of posts and advice about making the final decision.

Good luck!

I am looking at:

1. Employment Outlook/Funding

2. Faculty

3. School Location

4. Who seems like they really want me

Everything else is negotiable.

Add to that: the other admits and current grad students (especially the first years). This is who you are going to be in class with for the next two years. You will be doing problem sets and co-authoring papers papers them. A close relationship with your advisor will mean a 15-30 minute chat every couple of weeks to make sure that everything is going smoothly, but most of your interactions in your department will be with the other grad students. They don't have to be your best friends but they will be your colleagues and peers and will be one of the major factors in your ultimate enjoyment of your program.

Add to that: the other admits and current grad students (especially the first years). This is who you are going to be in class with for the next two years. You will be doing problem sets and co-authoring papers papers them. A close relationship with your advisor will mean a 15-30 minute chat every couple of weeks to make sure that everything is going smoothly, but most of your interactions in your department will be with the other grad students. They don't have to be your best friends but they will be your colleagues and peers and will be one of the major factors in your ultimate enjoyment of your program.

Definitely second this. However, I would also say that while visits can bring out the best in schools, they tend to bring out the worst in prospective students. In my experience visiting Master's programs, there can be a lot of showing off and anxiety that manifests as aloofness. I've talked to current grad students who absolutely love the programs they're in, but had comically bad experiences with other students during their visits. this isn't to discount the interactions you have during your visit, but rather to remember that what you're seeing isn't necessarily the most realistic portrayal of the way things will actually be. Also be sure to talk to a number of current students--if one student is unhappy, take their viewpoint seriously, but be sure to get others' opinions as well. In other words, be aware that everyone is on their best behavior, but don't be too quick to find the faults, either. In my case, I'm looking at the following:

1. faculty, both in terms of fit and reputation--where are their former students now? What are their relationships like with their current students? Do they have time to advise their students, or are they advisors in name only? How are they about supporting their students--helping them publish, present at conferences, get fellowships, etc? I don't necessarily want my advisor to be my best friend, but I do want them to advocate for me, if necessary. Are there other people in the department that might support your work beyond your primary advisor? 

2. the general tenor of the department--do people get along? are there rifts in the department that will have an effect on who I can work with or have on my committee? Since my work is fairly interdisciplinary, I'm also concerned that they support this kind of work and have a sense of what people are doing beyond the boundaries of political theory. Similarly, how much (if any) competition is there among students? 

3. job placement--I kind of lumped this in with the first one, since placement can have as much to do with who your letter writers are as it can with the school itself. Remember that some of the job placement stats reflect students whose professors may have since moved elsewhere, making it difficult to tell whether the school or the professor had more of an impact on their job market success.

4. funding--does everyone get the same amount of funding? how easy is it to secure outside funding beyond the guaranteed x years? are there any requirements (teaching, etc) in order to receive funding? If so, how easy is it to find teaching positions? How does this affect the competition between students?

5. location--how easy is it to live (relatively) well on a grad student stipend? Where do students live? Do most move away after the first x years, or do they tend to stick around?

For me it would be (on the rational side):

1) Fit and faculty research, including geographic coverage and diversity in terms of methodology and approaches

2) Funding - can I expect to make a living with the funding I am offered? What about the summer periods?

3) Resources, facilities - existence of and cooperation with research centers, international cooperation, opportunity for language and area study

4) Equally: Location - do I get the impression that I could live in the place for 5+ years and make some friends? and Reputation

Although in the end I think that the "gut reaction" will heavily impact my choice as well. I will be visiting schools in March and hope that that will help in the decision-making... Most likely though (knowing myself), it'll make the decision even more difficult ;)

This is only partially related to the topic, but worth pointing out:

If you have a conflict with any official visit dates, ask to visit another time. The program should be happy to oblige and still give you the same travel reimbursement. I visited two programs outside of the broader "open houses", and in many ways liked that type of visit better. I had more numerous and longer meetings with faculty and all of my time on the campuses was fully tailored to my interest area and my concerns.

This thread from last year might be of use:

As a side note, one particular factor that I think stands to be weighted more highly than it often is by applicants is the quality of students at the department. Being surrounded by good students means your seminars will go better, private conversations will be more productive, you'll have better opportunities for coauthorship, etc. So keep an eye out for that kind of thing as you go on admit weekends.

As a side note, one particular factor that I think stands to be weighted more highly than it often is by applicants is the quality of students at the department. Being surrounded by good students means your seminars will go better, private conversations will be more productive, you'll have better opportunities for coauthorship, etc. So keep an eye out for that kind of thing as you go on admit weekends.

This. You are going to learn just as much from your peers as you will from your profs.

Before I applied, I made sure my academic interests would fit nicely with the faculty there and that the faculty/department had some kind of above average reputation in my field. So now when offers come, it boils down to (in order of importance):

1) Full funding offers - no full ride, no go

2) Post-PhD job placements - careers in academia are hard enough to get, if the department helps, then all the better

3) Current/ex-student satisfaction - ascertained via Skype or email discussions

As a European with a sagging bank account, I cannot afford to go visit universities in the US unless they fully pay for the journey. What I know about the environment of these universities I learn through interacting with current/past students and googling information.

Edited by DeMoomin

As a European with a sagging bank account, I cannot afford to go visit universities in the US unless they fully pay for the journey. What I know about the environment of these universities I learn through interacting with current/past students and googling information.

I'm in a similar situation and was wondering whether people had ideas on how to best bypass this handicap. In particular, how does one substitute what earlier posters have referred to as the feel of the department or the gut instinct one gets from meeting faculty and current students? I'm facing some tough choices at the moment, and am mostly clueless when I think about whether I would get along better with people at this department or another, and what the 'culture' of a department may be like. Thoughts? 

I'm in a similar situation and was wondering whether people had ideas on how to best bypass this handicap. In particular, how does one substitute what earlier posters have referred to as the feel of the department or the gut instinct one gets from meeting faculty and current students? I'm facing some tough choices at the moment, and am mostly clueless when I think about whether I would get along better with people at this department or another, and what the 'culture' of a department may be like. Thoughts? 

I think talking to multiple grad students is the best bet.

Email the Profs you are interested in working with and ask them for a Skype conversation. That's what I've been doing. I also skype with current and ex-students of the department. It's been really, really helpful in getting a feel for the kind of experience to expect. Speak to about 2-4 students if possible. Draw up a list of specific questions which will address all your concerns. And if they can't skype, send them the most vital ones via email and they can maybe answer it. You won't be able to get a feel for the campus, of course, but useful questions for everything else include:

- What is their career goal (so I know how to compare what is important to them with what is important to me). Did they find attending this programme helped them achieve their career goals? Also, was the programme different to what they expected?

- What is it like to work with Professor X? What is their supervision style like?

- What is the usual length of time for completion?

- Do students tend to get extra funding from the university e.g. for field research?

- What's the community spirit like for graduate students at this university?

And so on and so forth. 

Just wanted to pop back in and say thanks for everyone answering here- I've been following a lot of these steps as I talk to people (and asking a ridiculous amount of questions) and this thread has been enormously helpful. Keep 'em coming and I'll also try to weigh in as it gets closer to April with some wisdom!