Corresponding with professors

devil7

Hi all,

I received an admit from my top choice (a top 5 US university) with RAship. I wrote to my PoI expressing interest in working with him. He replied within an hour saying that we should talk. I followed up asking for suitable slots. However he has not replied. It has been 4-5 days since I sent him the email. Is this a polite way of saying that he is not interested in working with me or is this quite common among professors?

Thank you. I would appreciate any thoughts/advice about this.

Edited by devil7

If he has expressed interest I would assume he is interested. There are many reasons why he might not have gotten back to you yet - he may have forgotten, he may be ill, or simply very busy, etc. Wait a few more days (or don't, if it's urgent) and send him a polite follow-up email.

That is common.  Professors are very busy people and likely he really just got bogged down.  I would give it another day and then send a polite email asking what times would work for him - give him some options that you are available if possible, or let him know you can do almost any time.

Hi all,

I received an admit from my top choice (a top 5 US university) with RAship. I wrote to my PoI expressing interest in working with him. He replied within an hour saying that we should talk. I followed up asking for suitable slots. However he has not replied. It has been 4-5 days since I sent him the email. Is this a polite way of saying that he is not interested in working with me or is this quite common among professors?

Thank you. I would appreciate any thoughts/advice about this.

Have you heard from the professor as yet? Oftentimes, the POI are quite busy and it wouldn't be wise to present yourself as aggressive when it's someone you may be eager to speak with. Give the professor a few more days, then send a followup email. Make that email more of a followup, rather than a "why haven't I heard from you" email. Basically, write the email as if you had actually heard back from him/her and wanted to know which date and time was more suitable. You could even present a date/time that you are available (obviously not in the next few days) and ask them if they may be available.

Hope that helps. Let us know how it goes.

Have you heard from the professor as yet? Oftentimes, the POI are quite busy and it wouldn't be wise to present yourself as aggressive when it's someone you may be eager to speak with. Give the professor a few more days, then send a followup email. Make that email more of a followup, rather than a "why haven't I heard from you" email. Basically, write the email as if you had actually heard back from him/her and wanted to know which date and time was more suitable. You could even present a date/time that you are available (obviously not in the next few days) and ask them if they may be available.

Hope that helps. Let us know how it goes.

No, unfortunately I have not heard back from him. I am thinking of waiting until the end of this week and then write a follow-up. 

Thank you for the advice. I was quite worried about how to write a follow up. I mean I do not want to sound arrogant but still want to know if he wants to work with me or not. I guess, writing the follow up like you said would be a nice way out (unless he writes to me, of course).

Devil7, this is one of the most frustrating parts of this experience I have had thus far.

This has happened to me with 3 different professors, and for each one I generally only waited a week before I followed up. Sometimes they respond to the follow-up immediately, as if they had simply forgotten about the previous message. Other times, they acknowledge the previous message and apologize for being busy.

I'm giving advice to myself just as much as I am you by saying to be patient; they would not have picked you nor contacted you had they thought it a waste of their time.

Good luck!

Now let me ask you all this:

My POIs from the two schools I'm considering right now have both suggested we have a phone conversation before I visit the campus. The visits will take place in the next 2-4 weeks.

What are some things that I should ask/talk about during these phone calls that can help me be more productive during my visits?

To go along with Devil7, one of these POIs initiated this phone call idea, then hasn't replied to my almost immediate response in over 2 months... wtf? I can understand holidays/busy times, but let's get real... I followed up from my original reply 5 weeks after he suggested the phone call (Dec. 7), and it's been another 3 weeks since that time. I want to believe that once accepted, it is us as the students who have the power, since the schools should be trying to get us to accept their offer, but this guy sure is making it tough. I don't want to come across as needy or demanding, but this is really doing a number on me.

Thanks for the wisdom!

Now let me ask you all this:

My POIs from the two schools I'm considering right now have both suggested we have a phone conversation before I visit the campus. The visits will take place in the next 2-4 weeks.

What are some things that I should ask/talk about during these phone calls that can help me be more productive during my visits?

To go along with Devil7, one of these POIs initiated this phone call idea, then hasn't replied to my almost immediate response in over 2 months... wtf? I can understand holidays/busy times, but let's get real... I followed up from my original reply 5 weeks after he suggested the phone call (Dec. 7), and it's been another 3 weeks since that time. I want to believe that once accepted, it is us as the students who have the power, since the schools should be trying to get us to accept their offer, but this guy sure is making it tough. I don't want to come across as needy or demanding, but this is really doing a number on me.

Thanks for the wisdom!

The main thing you would ask professors is about their research vision in for the next few years. From there, my advice would be to play it by ear. Some professors are more open and you can talk to them about their style of research, the average time it takes for a student Ph.D. under them, how much freedom they give their students while picking the research problem, etc, while others may not be so open.

However it would always be beneficial to talk to one or more of their students prior to the phone conversation with the professor (It'd help if you knew someone in the department and asked him/her to get information from the professor's students or introduce you to one of the professor's student. A student would hesitate (I sure would) reveal information (especially negative information) about their advisor to a stranger.).

About your second question, I am in the same boat as you :( . However, I would disagree with you when you say that after getting accepted, the student has an advantage over the PoI. If a large number of incoming students want to work with a professor, he would want to be very selective. Thus, even though the college may want you to join, the professor still has all aces up his sleeve.

BTW, in my case, I had contacted the PoI first and expressed interest in working with him, and he had suggested a Skype call. Thus, it is not like he contacted me. I'm not sure what to make of his response. The best option is perhaps to wait for a few more days.

Disclaimer: I have only had a phone conversation with a PoI, who was open and very nice. These are just my two pence.

Edited by devil7

I am in a similar situation.  However, a professor contacted me first.  He left a voicemail with his cell and office number.  I have left a message on each number and that was on the 12th and 13th.  I also left my email in the voicemail and told him he could contact me that way if it was easier.  I still have not received a call or email from him.  I was going to try and email him tonight but don't want to be too annoying if he hasn't had time to return my calls yet.  Any advice?

POI help please! I was recently accepted by WashU which I consider to be amazing program. However, I applied to the program because it is a prestigious program that emphasizes interdisciplinary studies, diversity, creativity, and flexibility, not because I have any specific interest in certain professors. When I spoke to the DGS on the phone he asked which professors I would like him to put me in contact with and I drew a blank. I have reviewed each of their bios online but don't feel particularly drawn to anyone. I feel like I need to get to know them, or at least read some of their work (I currently don't have access to any research databases) before I start throwing names out. So I guess my question is am I supposed to have this figured out already? Is it okay to be open to speaking with anyone in the department or should I just pick a few professors and cross my fingers? Also, if I do pick a few, am I expected to be familiar with their work when they contact me?

On 2/21/2013 at 12:48 AM, justlucy said:

POI help please! I was recently accepted by WashU which I consider to be amazing program. However, I applied to the program because it is a prestigious program that emphasizes interdisciplinary studies, diversity, creativity, and flexibility, not because I have any specific interest in certain professors. When I spoke to the DGS on the phone he asked which professors I would like him to put me in contact with and I drew a blank. I have reviewed each of their bios online but don't feel particularly drawn to anyone. I feel like I need to get to know them, or at least read some of their work (I currently don't have access to any research databases) before I start throwing names out. So I guess my question is am I supposed to have this figured out already? Is it okay to be open to speaking with anyone in the department or should I just pick a few professors and cross my fingers? Also, if I do pick a few, am I expected to be familiar with their work when they contact me?

I think you should do a bit of research on the professors before you ask to speak to someone specific - you do not need to review all of their research in detail, just reviewing the abstracts of some of their most recent work will actually give you a very good idea (much better than what the online bio / profiles usually), and you do not need access to any research database - either the individual POI's website or any research database where the paper is available will let you view the abstact for free.

After viewing these abstracts, you should be in a much better position to shortlist a few POIs that seem more relevant to your research interests, and you should be able to have an informed discussion with them as well. Although you have been accepted into the program, it always helps to create a positive impression right at the start by showing that you are aware of the research priorities of the POIs in your area.

Weymiller, any update on your situation?

A different prof from the same department as the one who is MIA actually set up a phone call and followed through with me. It was most helpful, and I learned quite a bit about the program. I even feel better about the prospect of choosing that school than I did before.

Good advice, Zapster