Non-thesis programs

anonymousxo

Hello,

I'm currently finishing my H. B.Sc in Biochemistry. GPA is around 3.5, and I'm hoping to bump it up to 3.7 by the time I graduate. I'm interested in the healthcare industry, and I always dreamed of going to medical school but quite frankly, I don't think I have the requirements for it.

So I've settled on doing my masters. My only problem is that I can't seem to find a professional program that will give me entry into the healthcare industry. I want to study in Toronto, and I'm looking for a non-thesis based program.

Does anybody have ideas? Insight? I'm lost, and anything is appreciated.

Consider Occupational Therapy - there are many universities with OT programs set up for out-of-field people because OT classes are difficult to get at the undergrad level.  UNC Chapel Hill for one, has a good program in OT.  It's a great way to get into healthcare but not necessarily 'med' school in the traditional sense.  I think the OT requirements for certification are now a clinical doctorate (which is an entry-level from bacc degree), but I can't remember for sure.  That may depend on the licensing or certification requirements of your state / country.  Many programs have an optional thesis.  

I'm going for Speech-Language Pathology which is a medical / educational professional field.  The clinical masters is all that is required and a thesis is optional.  Having a degree in PT, OT, or SLP will give you a chance to work in a hospital, rehab center, skilled nursing facility, clinic, etc... lots of options for employment.  They are also very essential fields and aren't going to die.  These fields are in very high demand.  Because of increased interest, admissions is very competitive, but it sounds like you will have the grades to compete (minimum 3.0, suggested 3.5 or higher to get into top programs). 

Good luck with your decision process!!