Advice for someone rejected from every school

HomeGrown

I think sometimes people confuse "blunt" with "rude." There IS a difference. I'm a blunt person who likes to be honest and direct whenever possible, but I know how to communicate my opinions in such a way as to make the conversation or information-sharing productive. One of the hardest things to do is to give people a reality check and be respectful at the same time. It's just basic human decency and common courtesy. It's also part of being professional. Even on a forum like this one where most of us are "anonymous."

Edited by excusemyfrench

People don't like considering Tier 2 schools for professional programs because they are not as good and sometimes they are not worth the investment.  Most MPA master's degree holders don't make a lot of money (at least right away).  Why spend over $40,000 in a second-tier program that probably won't land you a job?

American University is a Tier 2 program so HomeGrown gave it a shot.

I think with the exception of his exceptionally low GPA and a low GRE Writing score, HomeGrown has a fairly competitive application.  He went to an Ivy League school has a great GRE Verbal score, a good GRE Math score (158 is around the top 75th percentile), and some work experience.

American is considered a tier-2 school?

• 3 weeks later...

Since when did American and GWU become Tier 2 schools? Both have been consistently ranked in the top 10 for their public affairs programs. Not all of us can be Harvard or Princeton material, but just because we are not going to those schools, it doesn't mean the others are less than. Depending on the kind of work you want to do, being centrally located in Washington, DC can give you more of an advantage than any Harvard or Princeton degree can.

I am sorry to hear about your admissions results, HomeGrown. We have come upon another year of admissions cycles. Hopefully, you haven't given up and will be applying again this year. If yes, good luck!