Updates on Harvard and Columbia!?

tovenusandback

Hi everyone,

Hope you guys are pulling through this nail-biting waiting time :unsure: !!!

Any news on Harvard and Columbia anthro decisions? Last 2 years - it looks like Harvard was ready with decisions THIS week. Has anyone heard anything? Thanks so much!

Hi everyone,

Hope you guys are pulling through this nail-biting waiting time :unsure: !!!

Any news on Harvard and Columbia anthro decisions? Last 2 years - it looks like Harvard was ready with decisions THIS week. Has anyone heard anything? Thanks so much!

Hi sorry, it posted before I said anything. If you are applying for the arch sub field phd, Harvard made their decisions and notified applicants 3 weeks ago

Do you mind if I ask your source on that? If this is true I'm a bit put out, not because I didn't get in but because I would have expected at least a note from my undergrad advisor there letting me know. :(

Do you mind if I ask your source on that? If this is true I'm a bit put out, not because I didn't get in but because I would have expected at least a note from my undergrad advisor there letting me know. :(

exactly!

Columbia anthro. met earlier this week and are now actively contacting people...but "unofficially", through POIs. I imagine admits will go out first, with waitlists and rejections following. Probably safe to assume you should hear by the end of next week at the latest.

EDIT: this seems like it applies for all sub-fields at Columbia. At least definitely the case for soc/cul and arch.

Edited by Jonathan Livingston

Columbia anthro. met earlier this week and are now actively contacting people...but "unofficially", through POIs. I imagine admits will go out first, with waitlists and rejections following. Probably safe to assume you should hear by the end of next week at the latest.

EDIT: this seems like it applies for all sub-fields at Columbia. At least definitely the case for soc/cul and arch.

I just got in fpr sociocultural!

I see there's Harvard waitlist posted - anyone want to claim that and let us know if you're archaeology, cultural, medical...?

That's me, been lurking in the background. Sorry for the lack of details- I'm archaeology. Don't really expect many people to turn down the offer since there are 3/4 spots and they straight-up asked me in an interview to confirm that I would accept an offer if extended. I assume they did the same to the accepted few.

Hi!

Harvard has asked if I would like to be placed on the wait list. What would it mean to be placed on the wait list vis-a-vis other offers?

Does anyone no what are odds of getting off the wait list and onto the "main list" if u will!

Since I have to accept or reject other offers by April 15th and since the guys who got harvard acceptances also have until April 15th..how does this work?

What if I say yes to another place in April 15th and a little later harvard informs me that I have been accepted?

Any information will be highly appreciated!

Thanks

Hiya kphd! I was also placed on the wait list. The wait list is just a holding place in case the accepted applicants refuse Harvard. As I have understood it, the wait list gives you a little wiggle room. Traditionally, only those who have/will accept another offer will forgo the wait list.

-No idea what the odds are for getting placed on the acceptance from the wait list. I believe that the archaeology side of it (don't know about cultural/bio) will be accepting 3 students-- to be accepted at least one of those 3 have to go somewhere else. I don't know how large the waitlist is. We just have to hope that those accepted students make their decisions sooner rather than later!

-I've seen on other forums on gradcafe that you can ask for an extention on your decision to other schools if you are still waiting for full decisions from other places (i.e. Harvard).

-I don't know what the protocol is for redacting acceptances in case you hear back from somewhere late-- I'd rather ask for an extention to decide than have to try and pull out of a different acceptance.

-Marianne Fritz (Graduate Program Administrator) seems to be the person to direct any questions to.

Once I hear back from all of my schools so that I know my options, I will probably contact her to see how many of their applicants have confirmed their attendance so that I know my odds a little better. If Harvard is your first choice, it may be worth it to wait it out, but there's no way of telling if you'll get in or not. When the incoming class is so small, each decision is wonderfully/terribly idosyncratic. Hope that helps, and best of luck!

Hiya kphd! I was also placed on the wait list. The wait list is just a holding place in case the accepted applicants refuse Harvard. As I have understood it, the wait list gives you a little wiggle room. Traditionally, only those who have/will accept another offer will forgo the wait list.

-No idea what the odds are for getting placed on the acceptance from the wait list. I believe that the archaeology side of it (don't know about cultural/bio) will be accepting 3 students-- to be accepted at least one of those 3 have to go somewhere else. I don't know how large the waitlist is. We just have to hope that those accepted students make their decisions sooner rather than later!

-I've seen on other forums on gradcafe that you can ask for an extention on your decision to other schools if you are still waiting for full decisions from other places (i.e. Harvard).

-I don't know what the protocol is for redacting acceptances in case you hear back from somewhere late-- I'd rather ask for an extention to decide than have to try and pull out of a different acceptance.

-Marianne Fritz (Graduate Program Administrator) seems to be the person to direct any questions to.

Once I hear back from all of my schools so that I know my options, I will probably contact her to see how many of their applicants have confirmed their attendance so that I know my odds a little better. If Harvard is your first choice, it may be worth it to wait it out, but there's no way of telling if you'll get in or not. When the incoming class is so small, each decision is wonderfully/terribly idosyncratic. Hope that helps, and best of luck!

Hey!!

good to hear from you!

I think I saw one other person from socio-cultural on the wait list (in the results).

Harvard is my top choice...unfortunately my best match is also perhaps the most sought after.

I am also waiting for a decision from Columbia. I think I will take your advice and ask for an extension.

I will not under any circumstances say yes to a school and then back out!

Thanks for the reply!!

4 students were accepted for archaeology at Harvard this year. I wouldn't get your hopes up if you are waiting for that sub div. apparently all girls and all around the same age and all indicated they will accept.

Hey! any such info on Socio-cultural??

I would like to be mentally prepared if possible!!