Question about CFY during PhD Program

Since we are all bored, waiting to hear back from schools.... I was wondering if anybody could help me. Does anybody know if our CFY year has to be done immediately after completing the master's program? I am asking because a PhD is something I'm considering doing in which case it might make more sense to do CFY after a couple years of  PhD coursework/research.... You all seem pretty knowledgeable and I would appreciate it if you could share your wisdom. 

Since we are all bored, waiting to hear back from schools.... I was wondering if anybody could help me. Does anybody know if our CFY year has to be done immediately after completing the master's program? I am asking because a PhD is something I'm considering doing in which case it might make more sense to do CFY after a couple years of  PhD coursework/research.... You all seem pretty knowledgeable and I would appreciate it if you could share your wisdom. 

A Clinical Fellowship Year (CFY) is not required unless you want to practice with your Cs (Certificate of Clinical Competence).  If you decide to complete your PhD and do research for the rest of your life--you will never need to complete your Cs.  If you want to practice--it depends what state you are in.  Some states don't require Cs for state licensure, but others do.  Basically, ASHA will acknowledge you as a practicing clinician only if you have your Cs.

Sorry, that's a rant.  But no, you do not have to complete your Cs right away--to answer your question.

I don't quite know the answer to your question, but to add to what TalkItOut said, I will say that I've been told having your CCC can make you more competitve as a faculty member at some schools, because they want faculty who are qualified to teach the clinical courses. I've noticed that lots of people have a PhD and their C's. But, I'm just getting started in this field, so take that with a grain of salt.

I'm also really interested to know whether anyone has done their CFY concurrently with PhD study.

Edited by tuckerma