Strengthening my application for a neuroscience PhD program

omoplata

Crossposted from College Confidential, since I didn't get that much input over there --

Anyhow, I graduated in the summer of 2012 with a double major in neurobiology and film from Northwestern. Uncertain about the career path I wanted to take (as one can see from my majors), I elected to not invest in grad school for the time being, and instead, entered the workforce. 

Now, I like my job, and I count myself as lucky to have found this opportunity. Working life has taught me a lot about how to be a better person and has improved my self-reliance, my work ethic, and my focus. But after lots of deliberation, reading, and conversing with my past professors and advisors, I've been able to finally solidify my life goals and future plans and have come to the conclusion that it's time for me to start planning for the next stage. 

So that I won't bore you guys, I won't get into my life plan, but elements of it involve getting into neural engineering, which compels me to go back to school for a computational neuroscience PhD. As my application will be noticeably weak in some areas because of my unorthodox undergrad, I was wondering what steps I should take to improve my application before December/January deadlines. In my opinion, my prime weaknesses are lack of research experience (only one summer -- and wet lab, at that), math courses (only two quarters of linear algebra, vector calculus, and multivariable calc at the start of Freshman year, when my work ethic was at an all time low), and coding experience (none). GPA was a 3.63, so while unspectacular, I don't think that will be a liability -- my film courses actually provided most of the drag. Also ended up with some teaching experience as a biology TA, though I'm not sure if that's something to trump. 

Post-bacc is not realistic, since I can't afford to quit my job and inconsistent startup hours prevent me from taking night classes on a regular basis. While being able to leave my job and focus full-time on science would be great, it's unrealistic as I have to continue paying student loans and rent. I have applied to some lab tech jobs to no avail, and a few of those positions want 2 year contracts, which I'm reluctant to take on. Off the top of my head, the best I can do for the time being is to try to volunteer for a lab off-hours with my existing Northwestern connections. 

What else should I be doing? Is there something obvious that I'm missing? Your help and advice is appreciated.

For neural engineering coding experience is probably a must. I would take a class or invest some serious time in learning Matlab on your own. You don't need to be great, but comp neuro labs will be looking for people with those skills. I would make that your focus, and if you could find a tech job that would further your math/coding skills (I noticed you don't have differential equations or analysis, which are pretty important) you should go for it; 2 years isn't too long. May I ask what your current job is?

Currently working as an SEO analyst at tech startup -- been getting away with using the rudimentary stats knowledge I have for the time being. 

With the help of a professor I've kept in touch with, I've been teaching myself more stats and R. 

I guess I should've mentioned that the two years is more of a concern if I even get accepted for a lab tech position. I've been getting turned down before that phase because of the competitive job market for bio majors. My previous research experience essentially amounts to one summer at NIH, a wet neuro lab course, and a year at an evo psych lab (which I'm hesitant to even count -- I was just doing that for a paycheck, honestly). 

I might add that another option I have is to apply for neurobiology programs first, and then learn coding and more math when I enter grad school and develop my thesis into something that's more computationally oriented. 

Edited by omoplata

Lab experience. You can learn coding in grad school/ teach yourself (online courses like Harvard's CS50 too). You need to get at least two years of teching in before being competitive at top programs. You need to apply to labs and beg them to work you like a grad student (60+ hrs week). No post-bac needed. I'd apply directly to neurobio programs and then work in a comp neuro lab. No one cares what your phd is officially in, just your advisor and your research. You are young, so really don't rush into the phd, def. find a tech position and the best school you can.

Dapi, I have a choice between staying in Chicago to tech or doing the NIH postbac IRTA. In your opinion, which will better prepare me for the rigors of grad school? I guess my preference would be to stay in Chicago, so I can not have to deal with the exhaustive hassle of a move and focus on getting work done. 

Does postbac require classes (I'd say don't then)? Which is the better lab? Which one will allow you to conduct independent research? Moving is easy, just focus on finding a lab that does work that inspires you! :)

Dapi -- I've taken your advice to heart and have started the transition to lab tech positions. 

I do have a question about what you mean by "competitive programs' -- my options to tech so far are at labs that are a bit aways from research interests, and although their focuses of study are engaging, I'd prefer to jump to grad school as soon as I can to focus on my specific research interests. As a result, I'm a bit wary about spending a full two years teching. 

I said for you to be competitive (aka get into) top programs you need good lab experience in a field you are interested in. Try to find a job at a good school in a field you like, and where the PI will let you do your own research and not just wash glassware or something.

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to quickly give my two cents.  First, you are thinking that a tech job in a lab not directly related to your interests is not worth the time.  While they might not pay as much as your current job, being in the lab full time for a few years will do wonders.  Whatever you learn about neuro, wet lab techniques, experimental design, computational/engineering, etc, will be easily relatable to whatever you do later and will show admissions that you are serious about science.  It may also make you more successful during grad school.