Maryland (College Park)

Hey everyone! I'm excited to meet you next Wednesday. Who else is staying at the hotel? Also, I'm thinking about getting to campus a little earlier than noon (10am-11am), so I can explore the campus and library before the shenanigans begin. I hope some of you will join me!  

Hey everyone! I'm excited to meet you next Wednesday. Who else is staying at the hotel? Also, I'm thinking about getting to campus a little earlier than noon (10am-11am), so I can explore the campus and library before the shenanigans begin. I hope some of you will join me!  

I'm also in the hotel. I'm arriving early on the morning of the 13th (flying in at 6:30 a.m.) and a graduate student is picking me up around 9 a.m. to take me to the hotel, so I'm not sure whether I'll be ready to go early enough to get to campus before the events begin, but I do have my heart set on seeing the library, so maybe we can connect that morning.

Hey--I'll be arriving on Tuesday and staying at the hotel for two nights. If anyone is getting there on Tuesday, let me know! I'd be happy to explore the area with anyone interested in doing that.

Edited by cicada123

I'm also in the hotel. I'm arriving early on the morning of the 13th (flying in at 6:30 a.m.) and a graduate student is picking me up around 9 a.m. to take me to the hotel, so I'm not sure whether I'll be ready to go early enough to get to campus before the events begin, but I do have my heart set on seeing the library, so maybe we can connect that morning.

Wow. You're getting in super early! If you skip the campus exploration in favor of a nap, I will totally understand!

Hey--I'll be arriving on Tuesday and staying at the hotel for two nights. If anyone is getting there on Tuesday, let me know! I'd be happy to explore the area with anyone interested in doing that.

I'm getting in on Tuesday! My flight arrives around 6:45PM, and then I have to make the trek via metro and taxi to the hotel, so I have no idea when I'll actually get in. If I'm too late (or tired and stinky-- I don't do well with ten hours of travel!), perhaps we could do breakfast the next morning! 

Wow. You're getting in super early! If you skip the campus exploration in favor of a nap, I will totally understand!

I'm getting in on Tuesday! My flight arrives around 6:45PM, and then I have to make the trek via metro and taxi to the hotel, so I have no idea when I'll actually get in. If I'm too late (or tired and stinky-- I don't do well with ten hours of travel!), perhaps we could do breakfast the next morning! 

Breakfast the next morning would be great! I'm going to PM you my number.

Hey MercyHurst! I'm sitting in the airport, about to head to Champaign for my next visit day, so I thought I'd give you my perspective on Maryland after visiting yesterday. I want to write this all down while it's fresh in my head!

First of all, it was beyond awesome to meet actual gradcafers. We really do exist in real life! And we totally rock.

Second of all, Maryland is pretty frickin' awesome. Cicada123 and I went to campus early to explore, and UMD really is a beautiful place to study.

I think that speaks highly to the sense of collegiality at Maryland that during lunch time, tons of current students popped by to say hi and introduce themselves, and they seemed to all know each other and get along well. I got to speak to a bunch of current grad students, and they all reported to be happy at Maryland. One of the common threads I observed amongst all the students was a ton of support for the each student's interest, even if that interest isn't directly represented by a specific faculty member in the department. During the grad student panel, lots of students talked about independent and co-independent study classes as opportunities to research specific topics that are not offered as seminars.

I noticed a huge focus on keeping grad students on the five year time line. For students entering with an MA, we are expected to be done with coursework by the third semester, and onto the qual exams by the fourth semester. The dissertation prospectus is due the fifth semester, and so on. At first, I was worried I would feel rushed, but looking back, I think their focus on getting grads to their PhD in a reasonable time is a plus.

Also, there seems to be a lot of flexibility within the program. If you enter with an MA, the only actual course required is 611, the introduction to college composition. The other eight courses are completely up to you. You are allowed-- even encouraged-- to take courses outside of the department. Any certificate courses actually count towards the English courseload, so it won't take an extra semester to finish up if you are interested in a graduate certificate. I asked about pursuing ASL as my second language because of my interest in disability studies and Gallaudet is in the DC consortium, and Sangeeta said that it could be done. The flexibility also applies to the teaching opportunities; most students teach several different courses during their time in the program, which helps in the job search. Sangeeta stressed that they really focus on professionalization, with the assumption that most entering students will be entering the academic career path. They have publication and dissertation workshops led by faculty frequently offered to grad students. There will be a new DGS next semester (they rotate), and no one seems to know (or be willing to share) who the new DGS will be. Sangeeta will be on leave next year, which is too bad because she was personable, funny, and really helpful.

The current grad students are really friendly, but I didn't get the impression that they all hang out as a crew outside of classes. They all knew each other and seemed really engaged in conversations, but I didn't get that BFF feel among the cohort. But they were definitely collaborative and invested in seeing each other succeed. Plus, the incoming cohort seems really awesome. Lots of diversity in terms of interests.

Other random notes: most grad students seem to live in DC, but a few live in College Park, Takoma Park, or even Baltimore. There is a free shuttle that brings students from the College Park Metro stop to campus.

Edited by proflorax

Hey MercyHurst! I'm sitting in the airport, about to head to Champaign for my next visit day, so I thought I'd give you my perspective on Maryland after visiting yesterday. I want to write this all down while it's fresh in my head!

Hi Proflorax - not to hijack the Maryland thread, but I couldn't make it to the UIUC visiting day (I had already committed to visiting Missouri), so I'd love to hear your impressions! I can start a new thread or you can send a PM. Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys!

Congrats to all acceptees. I just had word that I'm at the top of the WL! This is an utter surprise and as I do have a funded MA (tuition and assistantship) offer from Villanova, I would love to know for certain.

After complete silence ever since applying, I caved and email the department today.  I received a reply back almost immediately -- rejected from the PhD, but accepted into the MA. 

I have kind of an unusual educational background -- Undergrad from UMD in Russian with a minor in English, and a Masters in Education (Curriculum and Instruction, concentration English) also from UMD.  I've been a high school English teacher in the area for 4 years, and just this semester made the leap to two community colleges in the area teaching freshman level English. Obviously, I want the PhD so that I can further progress to full-time faculty at some point! My true passion is teaching.  At any rate, the decision to accept the MA offer is tempting, since I might need more solid English cred to get into a PhD program than what I have. As an in-state student, the tuition is reasonable. Still, if it doesn't fit somehow with getting  a PhD, it might not offer a lot of benefit. 

Since I've been a student here AND am a current resident, I'd be happy to answer any questions people have about the area!

Who did you email? I think I sent an email a week or two ago but never received any response.

I emailed Suri, since I got her email from an automated response through Apra after initially applying, but I received a response from Dr. Ray.  

I've been asking about financial aid, units, and the consortium, and I thought others might find this important: "The financial aid package provides 10 tuition remission credits and any credits taken over are not reimbursed. Regarding courses taken through consortium, I like to inform you that tuition remission awarded to graduate assistants cannot be used to pay for courses at other consortium universities. Graduate assistants and fellows must pay for any courses that they take under the consortium arrangement."

I've been asking about financial aid, units, and the consortium, and I thought others might find this important: "The financial aid package provides 10 tuition remission credits and any credits taken over are not reimbursed. Regarding courses taken through consortium, I like to inform you that tuition remission awarded to graduate assistants cannot be used to pay for courses at other consortium universities. Graduate assistants and fellows must pay for any courses that they take under the consortium arrangement."

Thanks, that is good information to have — the offer letter I received suggested to me that consortium courses would be covered in tuition remission. Incidentally, after accepting your offer at Maryland, have you received any information about next steps or official documentation? I haven't asked additional questions since accepting, but I was a little surprised not to hear back after being contacted about whether I had reached a decision, and am wondering if I should send another email (though I suppose I could just wait and combine it with an email asking about more program details).

Thanks, that is good information to have — the offer letter I received suggested to me that consortium courses would be covered in tuition remission. Incidentally, after accepting your offer at Maryland, have you received any information about next steps or official documentation? I haven't asked additional questions since accepting, but I was a little surprised not to hear back after being contacted about whether I had reached a decision, and am wondering if I should send another email (though I suppose I could just wait and combine it with an email asking about more program details).

Yes, my offer letter also led me to believe that consortium courses would be included in our funding offer, but alas! It is not true. I'm waiting to hear about how much a three unit class will cost, and I'll let you know. 

Nope! I haven't heard anything yet. I imagine Sangeeta is waiting until April 15 and everything is settled before taking the next step. I am really excited and eager to figure out my class schedule! I have been obsessively reading over the course selection, trying to figure out what my schedule will be like next semester. 

Nope! I haven't heard anything yet. I imagine Sangeeta is waiting until April 15 and everything is settled before taking the next step. I am really excited and eager to figure out my class schedule! I have been obsessively reading over the course selection, trying to figure out what my schedule will be like next semester. 

That's good to hear, I was worried I may have missed something. I'm also anxiously awaiting class registration! Moving to evening classes is going to be a change for me, so I'm eager to figure it all out.

That's good to hear, I was worried I may have missed something. I'm also anxiously awaiting class registration! Moving to evening classes is going to be a change for me, so I'm eager to figure it all out.

Hey!

Just wanted to give y'all a heads-up that I contacted Sangeeta about courses for next semester. There are two classes that I know  I want to take, and I wanted to tell her that to make sure I would have a spot reserved in them. It took a few days, but she did eventually get back to me. Basically, my sense is that she somehow made sure it was recorded that I wanted those two classes and my spot is reserved but that it's a little ways before they start official registration for us.

Can't wait for next year!

--though, no lie, I do want summer first : )

Hey!

Just wanted to give y'all a heads-up that I contacted Sangeeta about courses for next semester. There are two classes that I know  I want to take, and I wanted to tell her that to make sure I would have a spot reserved in them. It took a few days, but she did eventually get back to me. Basically, my sense is that she somehow made sure it was recorded that I wanted those two classes and my spot is reserved but that it's a little ways before they start official registration for us.

Can't wait for next year!

--though, no lie, I do want summer first : )

Thanks, that's a great idea! I received an official decision letter from the Graduate School itself, which included an ID number and suggested that I should be able to register, but I don't think our accounts have been set up to do so yet, so emailing is probably the best alternative until that's worked out.

Now I just have to narrow down the five classes I want to take to three before they start filling up. You make a good point about at least reserving the two I'm sure about taking, though. Perhaps my third class will simply be decided for me as seats fill up.