POI has kept an open line of communication... is it appropriate for me to ask him about the dress code?

sje

Pretty much what the title says... My POI has been very open and kind, so I was wondering if it's appropriate to ask him what the dress code for the interview is...? What do you all think? And if it's not appropriate, what's the accepted dress for interviews in biological anthropology?

Male/Female? I'd probably go semi-casual.

As a guy, I went in a nice dress shirt and a semi-casual dress vest with slacks. The vest may have been a bit much, but I like making a nice impression and a suit would have been way too stodgy.

If bio anthro is anything like sociocultural then you could get away with a pair of chino's and a polo or button up (untucked, even) if you're male identified. Use that as a reference for comparison if you aren't male-identified. It's a pretty casual field.

As for asking your POI, I wouldn't do it (would you call a potential employer before a big interview to ask what to wear?). If you are in contact with a current student in the program, you could shoot them an email to get advice. I don't know much about variations of interview attire for males, but I like ak48's suggestion.

sje, I asked my POI about dress code (I'm pretty sure we're talking about the same interview weekend :P) and they said it's fairly laid back, most people come in slacks and a button down (no tie). Basically avoid jeans but definitely not a suit.