Jump to content

Responding to an offer without hearing back from other schools first?


quilledink

Recommended Posts

Hi there! Not sure if this has been asked already, but I'd love some input if it hasn't :)

 

I've been offered full funding from my top choice and full funding from my safety school. I'm still waiting to hear back on two other schools who (judging from the results search/the knowledge that they tend to use snail mail), haven't made up their minds yet. The offer from my top choice included a really nicely worded letter as well as an email from the Chair of the Department. Basically, I want to get back to them right away, but I'm not sure if I should wait for the two other schools or not, one of which is equally as prestigious and wouldn't require me moving, but definitely wouldn't offer me a fellowship of equivalent value (not to mention that I definitely don't get the same feeling about my research "clicking" as well as I do with the department at my top choice school). I should probably add that none of my profs thought I was going to get any funding at all, and that may still hold true of these two schools.

 

Essentially, what I want to know is, is it proper etiquette to respond to an offer immediately after it's been given? If so, how do I let the other schools know?

 

Or should I be waiting for a response from these other schools (and why? because I'm probably not thinking too clearly about it now)?

 

And I guess, if I'm waiting, how do you respond to the emails from Chairs of Departments (eek) without giving away that it's an absolute yes? Because when I saw that email I almost replied in all caps with a reply of "YES!!!" (joking, but it was close...).

 

Thanks so much :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If the fit is great at the school where you have been accepted, and there is a fellowship, I think you have your answer!  It sounds as though the other places you are waiting to hear from may not be as good for you as far as the funding AND the fit ... and those are the biggest components to consider.  

 

However... if you want to wait to hear from other schools, I think your accepted / desired school would understand you needing to be fully informed of the options at least for another week or two.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If the fit is great at the school where you have been accepted, and there is a fellowship, I think you have your answer!  It sounds as though the other places you are waiting to hear from may not be as good for you as far as the funding AND the fit ... and those are the biggest components to consider.  

 

However... if you want to wait to hear from other schools, I think your accepted / desired school would understand you needing to be fully informed of the options at least for another week or two.  

 

Thanks so much :) Yeah, my top choice is pretty much ideal, so I can't see the need in waiting much... It just feels really weird not to have all my options open in front of me, even though I know which one I'd choose even if they were all offering me equivalent funding...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Okay, with that... I'll play the devils advocate, then... what if the two schools you are waiting to hear from offer MORE funding?  Would that change your answer to the school with the fellowship?  If no change, then I think you're safe to accept the offer!!  Congratulations!!!! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ooh good point! I think, unless it's some ridiculous amount (like, 3x what I've been offered, which would be nigh impossible), I still wouldn't accept :) Thanks! I guess I know my answer now haha :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use