An Tasteless Question

LOLhedgefunds

Can u bargain on named fellowships? I.e. - suppose a school offers you a fancy named fellowship, but another school offers you a bigger fellowship. you want to go to the first school with the fancy fellowship; this first school also has other fellowships that pay more, although this one is specific to your department. can you bargain in regards 2 this?

TYIA

You can try but you may not be successful.

ec86, I think they're the same in prestige. The named fellowships come a donor that requests the award be named after them or they are designated in the name of someone famous from the university.

I'd say try. One professor told me to let her know if I've been given a larger funding package because she'll use it to bargain and see if she could pull me more funding.

All depends on how bad they want you and how much they have available. :) G'luck.

You probably won't be able to increase the size of the named fellowship, but it would be possible to ask the department if they would be willing to put some money on top of that. Apparently that's what Rutgers does to try and attract PhD candidates (at least in a few fields).