Contact POI re: Status

guitargeorge

Hi All,

I'm looking for some advice on how to reach out to a POI to ask about my status.  Allow me to give some background:

Interviewed at one of my top choices just over two weeks ago.  I sent out "thank you" emails to most of department (including potential adivisor) a couple days later and got usual generic replies that day.  Haven't heard anything since.

I know (from these forums, actually) that the person "competing" for a spot with my potential advisor got accepted last week.  Realistically, I'll probably get waitlisted, or perhaps flat rejected, so there really isn't all that much to be hopeful for.  Still, playing the waiting game (even for disapointing news) has been brutal, and I'd like to be able to move forward sooner, rather than later. 

So... I'm wondering, is it appropriate to contact my POI to check in on what's going on?  If so, is there a tactful way of doing this?  Does anyone have any examples?

Appreciate the help everyone! 

Seems like you wont be shocked if there is a rejection coming. I don't see talking with the POI as risky. Why not just go for it and ask the condition of your application. If you still would like to be in that school than talk in a way showing your interest and enthusiasm. Maybe this would take you out of waitlist (assuming so), to the mainlist. And it may show them that you care about the process and still considering them.

I am no expert but this is probably what I would do. Good luck and wish you the best :)

Edited by miamia

• 2 weeks later...

Any updates on how this turned out? I'm in the same boat and trying to figure out what to do. I'm thinking of emailing the academic program coordinator to ask if they have sent out all acceptance offers already.