FLAS Fellowship Application

firefly85

I'm applying for a Foreign Language and Area Studies Fellowship from one of the IR schools I got into. The application is due March 16 and I have to write a statement of purpose about how the language study (in this case Italian) would fit in with my education/career plans and help me. Has anyone applied for this or knows someone who does? Do you have any advice on applying, especially the statement of purpose? I'd love to get this as it is a LOT of money for tuition and stipend. It would make grad school a lot more affordable! Thanks.

You have to play up how the language training you'll be able to get with the FLAS will benefit your graduate school plans, how it will help with your research, how it's necessary for your research, etc. Then again, I'm 0/1 on FLAS applications.

From what I understand, they especially like people who plan to make the langauge a central part of their future study and plans, not just folks who have a language requirement to fulfill. They also like people who will go into government service or who will teach in the future. If that's you, play that up.