UCSD Fall 2013

student12345

Hi all!

I was recently admitted to UCSD for a Ph.D. in Math! I am interested in mathematical statistics and probability theory. 

I grew up in Florida and am about to complete my BA at Boston U., so I am anxious to get to know the sunny west a little better (and coming to Boston "to see the snow" ranks among my most naïve decisions, I'll admit). 

My Open House dates are April 4-5, but this is possibly unique to my department so perhaps we can all find some other time to meet. Although I am waiting to hear from other programs, I am already quite excited about UCSD so there is a good chance I will attend :)

Also, I was wondering how my financial package compares to others; from what I hear, La Jolla is quite pricey, although I believe my department has reached very deep into its coffers to generously provide me with some very meaty fellowships. I don't believe they could have done much better, so I am hoping someone here has some good news regarding the cost of living. 

Thanks,

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Nick,

I will be attending UCSD this fall! I am a Southern California native, so I am probably biased, but I think it is a pretty great place to live. Have you made a decision yet?

Hi Nick,

I will be attending UCSD this fall! I am a Southern California native, so I am probably biased, but I think it is a pretty great place to live. Have you made a decision yet?

Hi mab, I haven't made a decision yet as I am waiting to visit the department April 4-5. I am pretty excited about seeing UCSD though, I've heard so many great things about it! If you happen to be at UCSD on those dates or if I decide to attend we should meet up. And congratulations on deciding!

Hello everyone,

I am also starting at UCSD in the Fall for the Joint PhD program in Clinical Psych. I'm coming from the Midwest, so I'm very excited about Southern Cali! I'm planning on visiting again during the early summer, to scope out apartments and all that.

:)  Cold days like today make me so happy for San Diego in a few months!

Hello everyone,

I am also starting at UCSD in the Fall for the Joint PhD program in Clinical Psych. I'm coming from the Midwest, so I'm very excited about Southern Cali! I'm planning on visiting again during the early summer, to scope out apartments and all that.

:)  Cold days like today make me so happy for San Diego in a few months!

Hi Bor, congratulations! So you mean you already visited UCSD? What was it like?

Hi Bor, congratulations! So you mean you already visited UCSD? What was it like?

I really liked it! I had been told that it was very pretty there, but even with that I was very pleasantly surprised with how nice it was. I'm coming from the Midwest, so the hilly terraing, the proximity to the ocean, and the mild weather just sounds so heavenly for me. Plus, San Diego seems like a really nice city, where you could find plenty of things to do.

I hope you enjoy your visit as well!