Accepted? Deciding where to go!

That_One

I have been reading different articles on the subject of how to select your program and now that I have several offers , I am finding this process very confusing. Of course, funding, research and placement are important factors. But I am most concerned about endning up in a program where faculty are not friendly and accessible, I will be over-worked, and the attrition rate is very high. How does one gather information on these criteria. I am a newcomer to sociology and I am also wondering how stringent the grading is in Sociology (how deadly are the curves)?

I have been reading different articles on the subject

Link us, please :)

I am most concerned about endning up in a program where faculty are not friendly and accessible, I will be over-worked, and the attrition rate is very high. How does one gather information on these criteria.

That stuff is very important, so you're right to be concerned about it! These are the things I'm trying to pick up about schools during my visits. If you can't visit, get in touch with some of their current grads - they'll be honest about that stuff.

I am also wondering how stringent the grading is in Sociology (how deadly are the curves)?

Sociology as an undergraduate major is usually easier than other disciplines. As far as graduate... grades aren't your top priority so I don't know how to answer this question.

I have been reading different articles on the subject of how to select your program and now that I have several offers , I am finding this process very confusing. Of course, funding, research and placement are important factors. But I am most concerned about endning up in a program where faculty are not friendly and accessible, I will be over-worked, and the attrition rate is very high. How does one gather information on these criteria. I am a newcomer to sociology and I am also wondering how stringent the grading is in Sociology (how deadly are the curves)?

Have you visited the programs that you're accepted into and spoken with faculty members? That is of the utmost importance, in my opinion. Make sure you do that. Visit if you can. I actually almost learned the hard way. I got an interview at a school that i was really excited about, but when I got to the school for my visit, it was just all wrong. I'm thankful that I got to visit amd avoided a potentially bad situation.

• 2 weeks later...

I had an idea to rank which factors we each consider most important when choosing where to go. I'll try get the ball rolling, but I haven't done much research on this stuff yet and still have no idea where I want to go...

Funding (relative to COL)

Supportive Environment

Rank (field and subfield)

Current faculty/dept research projects

Attitude of current grads

General "impression" during visit

Publishing Opportunities

Weather/Location

Teaching Opportunities

Qualifying Exams (how many, structure, etc.)

Time to graduate

Courses offered

Department/University Size

How about you guys? Be sure to include any I may have forgotten!

I had an idea to rank which factors we each consider most important when choosing where to go. I'll try get the ball rolling, but I haven't done much research on this stuff yet and still have no idea where I want to go...

Funding (relative to COL)

Supportive Environment

Rank (field and subfield)

Current faculty/dept research projects

Attitude of current grads

General "impression" during visit

Publishing Opportunities

Weather/Location

Teaching Opportunities

Qualifying Exams (how many, structure, etc.)

Time to graduate

Courses offered

Department/University Size

How about you guys? Be sure to include any I may have forgotten!

For me, the health insurance deal: what's included, and can spouses/dependents be on the plan as well, and if so what's the cost of that.

Also, access to a decently-sized airport - although that might just go under location.