Vanderbilt: "Short short list"

About a week and a half ago, after receiving a rejection from Chicago (Which was my top pick), I decided to email the remaining schools I applied to (Berkeley, Michigan, and Vanderbilt), asking when I may hear an offer (Or rejection)

A few days ago, someone from Vanderbilt replied with the following email: "A decision about your application has not yet been made, but you are the short short list at this time."

To me, this says I'm at the top (If not the very top) of the waitlist... Is that what you'd interpret it as? Because without an official word on anything, I'm not really sure what to think.

Oh, and in case you're curious: this is for a Pure Math Ph.D.

About a week and a half ago, after receiving a rejection from Chicago (Which was my top pick), I decided to email the remaining schools I applied to (Berkeley, Michigan, and Vanderbilt), asking when I may hear an offer (Or rejection)

A few days ago, someone from Vanderbilt replied with the following email: "A decision about your application has not yet been made, but you are the short short list at this time."

To me, this says I'm at the top (If not the very top) of the waitlist... Is that what you'd interpret it as? Because without an official word on anything, I'm not really sure what to think.

Oh, and in case you're curious: this is for a Pure Math Ph.D.

I think so...  It's a waitlist... 

It is amazing since we applied for exactly the same schools. I got one offer from Vanderbilt and I am gonna decline that. Hopefully that will help you. I also got rejections from Chicago and Berkeley. Have you got any news from Michigan?

It is amazing since we applied for exactly the same schools. I got one offer from Vanderbilt and I am gonna decline that. Hopefully that will help you. I also got rejections from Chicago and Berkeley. Have you got any news from Michigan?

Did you apply for Statistics or Biostat at Berkeley. I applied to Berkeley Biostat and they didnt get back to me as of now.

Did you apply for Statistics or Biostat at Berkeley. I applied to Berkeley Biostat and they didnt get back to me as of now.
I applied for math. But some of my friends applied for Biostat but got rejected last week.

I applied for math. But some of my friends applied for Biostat but got rejected last week.

Thanks for the info..do you know if your friends contacted the department to get the status or Biostat dept. informed them about the rejection. I cannot understand why they didn't inform me till now. I have sent an email 10 days back and admin coordinator responded that they are going to take decisions either last week or this week.

Wow, that is really weird.

Yeah, I got a rejection from Michigan last week, the day before an official rejection from Berkeley (Which means I really need some positive news from Vanderbilt now :/ ). I'm just glad Michigan put the rejection in the email (Instead of the "We made a decision on your application, log back in to find out what it was" that Berkeley and Chicago did), since Michigan's whole application system is absolutely horrendous. They seriously need to redesign that