Carnegie Mellon 2013

BuckyandTerraceChairs

Going to Heinz for public policy. Planning to be at the visit weekend in April. Looking to have apartment showings lined up when I come into town. Interested in finding another Heinz classmate to live with and in a position to sign a lease that weekend in April. Looking for probably only one person for a 2 bedroom place. Looking around Squirrel Hill. 29 yr old female. Fine with either male or female roomate. Cheers!

Wow, you're way more on top of things than I am. I'm 99% certain I'll be coming to CMU for civil engineering, and I'll be visiting in a couple of weeks, but I haven't even started thinking about where to live. I've got a partner, toddler, and dog, so we may be looking to just buy a house, given what appear to be really low prices in Pittsburgh. I know absolutely zero about the area, though, so if anyone out there wants to weigh in with advice, feel free!

Welcome to both of you!  I'm in my second year of a joint Econ/Pub Pol PhD at CMU (Tepper & Heinz).  Pittsburgh is a great city--some of the cosmopolitan nature of bigger cities without the higher pricetag!  I believe the Heinz Master's Facebook page has some sort of a roommate request board, so I'd suggest looking there.  You want to have a rental secured by May, or else the good bargains will be gone.  Also, STAY AWAY from Lobos (you'll see pink signs).  My landlord is CJ Greve and they're excellent.  I've heard mixed things about Mozart as well. If you haven't had a shared apartment before, make sure when you're negotiating your lease that your payments are independent; i.e., you can't be evicted for your roommate's failure to pay.

As far as houses go, several of the students in my program with families have purchased homes in Greenfield and really like the neighborhood.  Dogs are tough with renting--a lot of landlords are cat-friendly but far fewer are dog-friendly, and most of those aren't places you'd really want to live (with the exception of a few snazzy new buildings like the apartment complex by SouthSide Works and the one owned by the same at the Waterfront).  Those would run you close to $1200/month, though, and you can get a house for much less.  There are some condos in the city but they've been on the market for a few years--the market for traditional houses is much more stable--Pittsburgh didn't see too much of the bubble, so also not too much of the burst.  Think about what your preferred mode of transporation will be--there are some folks who bike from the more remote areas, but most drive or take the bus.  If that's your plan, then consider the Port Authority routes and plan for potential cutbacks on those.

I'm not on here too often, but feel free to message me if you have further questions and hopefully I'll see it in my email.  Cheers!

• 1 month later...

Just decided today! I'm going to be joining CMU LTI's MLT program!!! Currently looking for a place to rent, preferably either in Shadyside or Squirrel Hill. Also looking for a roommate. Any advice about these things would be much appreciated!

Hi, will be attending Carnegie Mellon as well  (MPD) this fall... Any idea how to go about looking for housing and room mates, preferabbly around Squirrel Hill. Are there any online forums or portals for this? Thanks....

Headed there for robotics in fall. I was out of the country for the month of march during visits and never got a chance to go. I think my only chance before I actually come in fall semester will be late May, so I guess I will have to check out apartments then. If anyone is looking for roommates PM me! I'm trying to find a place close enough to campus that I can bike, and I don't know anything about the town yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Ahh, I was all set to go to CMU for an MS in Biomedical Engineering, but I recently got into Northwestern's MS BME program as well =/

Anyone have any experience with the department and why they decided to go to CMU mind DM-ing me?