Jobs in the UK

crazyphd

Does any one have any experience with finding jobs in the UK as an American?  In the biological sciences? As each rejection rolls in it gets more an more likely that he's heading off to Kent Canturbury for grad school.  I will have just finished my PhD in Mol Bio by then but I am afraid I will not be able to find employment. 

Does any one have any experience with finding jobs in the UK as an American?  In the biological sciences? As each rejection rolls in it gets more an more likely that he's heading off to Kent Canturbury for grad school.  I will have just finished my PhD in Mol Bio by then but I am afraid I will not be able to find employment. 

He? Who is he? If he is your husband you should have no problem getting a visa as long as he gets one. The UK has Industry and Academic positions (postdocs) just like the US. The funding situation is just a little different. I know they post fellowships for Grad students online and you could likely find postdoc fellowships. These are lab specific so start looking to find an opening that would suit your interests/experience. 

LOL yes He = my husband. Sort of forgot that little detail. 

It's not really about getting the visa - I think we have all the bases covered getting to the UK.  I have been looking at post docs - they do seem like an option. My biggest concern is money though. Everyone says how expensive the UK is, we have two small children and my husbands program is not funded. I am not sure that between his fin aid and a what I can expect for a post doc salary it will be enough.....

No stipend - it's a 1-2 year taught master's that he should be able to transfer to a PhD after completion - but so long as he is a master's student he is responsible for everything including tuition.  Makes things nice and complicated.   

I sill have my finger cross for his last remaining US PhD program to admit him but if not I want to be ready and prepared for a move to the UK. 

No stipend - it's a 1-2 year taught master's that he should be able to transfer to a PhD after completion - but so long as he is a master's student he is responsible for everything including tuition.  Makes things nice and complicated.   

I sill have my finger cross for his last remaining US PhD program to admit him but if not I want to be ready and prepared for a move to the UK. 

I hope he gets into the US program. Tuition for international students is not cheap and your salary alone will not likely cover the living expenses for your family.