Canadian SLP applications thread!

Inny

Congratulations egad00 and AbSLP! Really happy for you!

Nothing in my mailbox yet...

@SLP_AWS - has UofA contacted you to let you know you're on the wait list?

@egad00 - hope someone on the forum gets the place you've given up :)

Congratulations egad00 and AbSLP! Really happy for you!

Nothing in my mailbox yet...

@SLP_AWS - has UofA contacted you to let you know you're on the wait list?

@egad00 - hope someone on the forum gets the place you've given up :)

I called them yesterday because I have an offer from Dalhousie and I had to give them an answer earlier this week, which is the only reason they told me! Anyways, I have officially accepted Dalhousie's offer!

I called them yesterday because I have an offer from Dalhousie and I had to give them an answer earlier this week, which is the only reason they told me! Anyways, I have officially accepted Dalhousie's offer!

Thanks for the clarification.

Good luck at Dalhousie, enjoy!

I officially accepted Dalhousie's offer today as well! Just paid my $200 deposit!

Hi all! I just got accepted off the wait list for Ottawa! Very excited! In other news, for anyone still waiting on Alberta, I emailed yesterday and was told that the admissions committee is still making decisions and hopes to contact all successful applicants by net week. Good luck everyone!

Hi all! I just got accepted off the wait list for Ottawa! Very excited! In other news, for anyone still waiting on Alberta, I emailed yesterday and was told that the admissions committee is still making decisions and hopes to contact all successful applicants by net week. Good luck everyone!

Frenglish!!! I got in too!!! Congrats!! :)

Thanks all! :)

Frenglish!!! I got in too!!! Congrats!! :)

Yay! Congrats DJ! Feel free to PM me!

FrenglishSLP congratulations!

Do you know your number on the waitlist at Western and Ottawa\?

Thanks luslp! I was told that I was on the second half of the wait list at Western, and for Ottawa that info had to remain confidential. I do know that there were supposed to be 15 people on their wait list though, if that helps!

Wow - I must say, just reading this puts me back to exactly where I was just over a year ago (I wish I knew this forum existed)!  It's so refreshing to read, especially as exams are just around the corner - I have a massive pile of notes beside me that I should be reading....  But then a classmate posted this website in our facebook page.... and here I am.  
I need a reminder of that enthusiasm I felt when all the projects and exams pile up! (Don't worry - the enthusiasm is with you most of the year - just not around exam time ;) )

I'm currently attending UofA (such an awesome program), and my supervisor said they were having an extra difficult time with applications this year - not a surprise, since we all work so hard to get in.  Be patient :)  

Congratulations to all those who got in/will get in!  I am super excited to meet you (as is everyone else in my class - we all keep talking about wanting to know who our first year buddy will be)!

If you have ANY questions at all - feel free to PM me.  I don't mind at all :) 

Best of luck!

Wow - I must say, just reading this puts me back to exactly where I was just over a year ago (I wish I knew this forum existed)!  It's so refreshing to read, especially as exams are just around the corner - I have a massive pile of notes beside me that I should be reading....  But then a classmate posted this website in our facebook page.... and here I am.  

I need a reminder of that enthusiasm I felt when all the projects and exams pile up! (Don't worry - the enthusiasm is with you most of the year - just not around exam time ;) )

I'm currently attending UofA (such an awesome program), and my supervisor said they were having an extra difficult time with applications this year - not a surprise, since we all work so hard to get in.  Be patient :)

Congratulations to all those who got in/will get in!  I am super excited to meet you (as is everyone else in my class - we all keep talking about wanting to know who our first year buddy will be)!

If you have ANY questions at all - feel free to PM me.  I don't mind at all :) 

Best of luck!

this post is so sweet, thanks for posting:)

I, personally, am just waiting for the wait to be over, I can't help hoping that maybe, maybe I'll get in off the wait list...

something that will surely be useful to people who don't get in but want to try again next year and people who will be applying next  year: what are your impressions - what is it that UofA really look for in a candidate?

Can anyone that is accepted at U of T let us know when they have to accept their offers of admission by? It will give us a clue as to when we might hear from the department if we get off the wait list. Thanks!

this post is so sweet, thanks for posting:)

I, personally, am just waiting for the wait to be over, I can't help hoping that maybe, maybe I'll get in off the wait list...

something that will surely be useful to people who don't get in but want to try again next year and people who will be applying next  year: what are your impressions - what is it that UofA really look for in a candidate?

Unfortunately - I'm not sure what they look for, but I think GPA is a major factor.  References seemed pretty important as well, and I had really great ones.  Personally, I'd volunteer - but it's not necessary, and one classmate didn't do any volunteering (but she's also amazing in every other area possible).  I'm not too sure about GRE scores..... I feel like it's a bit more of a hoop to jump through, or something to differentiate you from another similar candidates, but I really don't know.  Of course, they also want to make sure you didn't tank the exam either!  As a whole, my class has such diverse experiences... it's hard to pinpoint exactly what they were looking for.....  maybe they approach it more holistically?

Either way, I really enjoy it here :)  If you get multiple offers - I'd take Ualberta.  The faculty is extremely supportive and cares greatly about personal well-being.  Plus, they're just great people and have really useful advice from their own clinical experiences.  AND we have our own in-house clinic for your first placements.  We're quite sheltered at first, it's true that they really ease you in the program... but once we're out, the university has gotten feedback that UofA grads are some of the most highly prepared

(and the best out there!... but maybe I'm biased  ;) )

Thanks for sharing your enthusiasm with those who needed a reminder ( more than a few classmates have been reading) !

I was accepted into the University of Alberta today by email. It was my first choice and I'm just thrilled! Good luck to everyone still waiting.

Awesome! You will love it here :)

Can anyone that is accepted at U of T let us know when they have to accept their offers of admission by? It will give us a clue as to when we might hear from the department if we get off the wait list. Thanks!

We had to tell them by today! :) 

Unfortunately - I'm not sure what they look for, but I think GPA is a major factor.  References seemed pretty important as well, and I had really great ones.  Personally, I'd volunteer - but it's not necessary, and one classmate didn't do any volunteering (but she's also amazing in every other area possible).  I'm not too sure about GRE scores..... I feel like it's a bit more of a hoop to jump through, or something to differentiate you from another similar candidates, but I really don't know.  Of course, they also want to make sure you didn't tank the exam either!  As a whole, my class has such diverse experiences... it's hard to pinpoint exactly what they were looking for.....  maybe they approach it more holistically?

Either way, I really enjoy it here :)  If you get multiple offers - I'd take Ualberta.  The faculty is extremely supportive and cares greatly about personal well-being.  Plus, they're just great people and have really useful advice from their own clinical experiences.  AND we have our own in-house clinic for your first placements.  We're quite sheltered at first, it's true that they really ease you in the program... but once we're out, the university has gotten feedback that UofA grads are some of the most highly prepared

(and the best out there!... but maybe I'm biased  ;) )

Thanks for sharing your enthusiasm with those who needed a reminder ( more than a few classmates have been reading) !

Thanks for much for sharing, miss.slp2014! I still have a year to go until I apply, but UofA is where I am hoping to get in, and hearing you say that really just makes me so more motivated and excited! (and I could really use the motivation as I sit here studying for my exams, haha)

It's so nice to hear all of that, I really hope I can be saying it from the other side myself someday soon! :)

Congrats to everybody who has heard that they got in so far, and best of luck to all the rest!!

Hello everyone,

I've been lurking around this forum for a while, so I figured it was about time to speak up!

I applied to U of T, U of A, and UWO, and I was lucky enough to be accepted to all three programs! In the end, I ended up deciding on the U of A. 

I'm extremely excited to meet everyone in the program this Fall! :)