Waiting List Question

jferreir

I received an email from my first or second choice (still can't decide), and it said the following:

"Thank you for your application to School X, Program Y. We have placed you on a shortlist for admission. We will inform as soon as possible if we are able to offer you admission into our program."

I thought there was a clear difference between a shortlist and a waiting list, but the final sentence had me wondering. So, I replied via email for clarification and this is the response I received:

"Hi. Yes, it is a waiting list. And it is indeed because we only offer funding with admission that we are not now able to admit you. Things will work themselves out between now and mid-April."

I know I read into things way too much, but do you think the implied message is that an offer of admission will be made by mid-April? Or conversely, is the admissions officer politely telling me to back off and wait like everyone else? Is there a general probability of acceptance for those on a waiting list? The policy stipulates that official notification is to be sent by post-mail only, so I don't know how significant the first email is.

Upon reflection, I really wish I received no correspondence in the first place. I totally underestimated how nerve-racking this whole experience would be!

They are saying that you will know one way or the other by mid april--this does not mean acceptance.

Some programs are more open with waitlists than others. I recently asked one school where I was waistlisted how applicants are pulled from the waitlist (ranked, by subfield, etc), and whether or not many waitlistees are eventually granted admission before april 15th.

THey were great and told me it was ranked (and gave me my rank), and said yes, last year they exhausted their wait list.

Ask the grad coordinator. INdicate you have other offers but remain interested in the program.

I think that I may read too much into these things also, but it almost sounds to me that they are trying to reassure you in a way. It doesn't sound negative to me. Good to know that you are seriously being considered and are a bit closer to receiving admission with funding. Good luck and I hope you hear positive things!

Thanks for the replies!

One says it's positive, the other says it's neutral. Ahhh, back to square one! I appreciate the suggestion of contacting the admissions offer, but I don't want to be a pain in the ass. Something tells me that he's busy enough... any other thoughts?

Being placed on the waitlist is a positive thing in and of itself. I think the email is friendly but I don't think you should read too much into it. The bottom line is they'll let you know by mid-April, depending upon what their admitted students decided to do, whether they can offer you funding (and thus, acceptance) or not. I've heard it's sometimes helpful to let a school you've been waitlisted at know that they're your top choice and you're still waiting to hear back from them, but it's hard to tell if that's the case here. Good luck!

Thanks for the replies!

One says it's positive, the other says it's neutral. Ahhh, back to square one! I appreciate the suggestion of contacting the admissions offer, but I don't want to be a pain in the ass. Something tells me that he's busy enough... any other thoughts?

It's a positive. It's definitely and absolutely a positive. I say that with no empirical evidence whatsoever; it's only that I have a nearly identical letter from a school I really want to get in to and if I don't consider it a positive I'll spin into a depressive nose dive.

Mine ended with "I hope to have some good news for you in the next few weeks." That sentence is all that's keeping me going right now.

It's a positive. It's definitely and absolutely a positive. I say that with no empirical evidence whatsoever; it's only that I have a nearly identical letter from a school I really want to get in to and if I don't consider it a positive I'll spin into a depressive nose dive.

Mine ended with "I hope to have some good news for you in the next few weeks." That sentence is all that's keeping me going right now.

Interesting point. I would agree, but I'm not sure if I can trick myself into believing something when I have so many insecurities. I just wish they would give us some indication of what our chances are. For instance, it would be helpful (merciful?) to know how many people are currently on the list, my rank within that list, and how many offers are usually extended to those on such a list (given past records).

If I could do it again, I would explicitly request no correspondence other than admitted/not admitted.

Interesting point. I would agree, but I'm not sure if I can trick myself into believing something when I have so many insecurities. I just wish they would give us some indication of what our chances are. For instance, it would be helpful (merciful?) to know how many people are currently on the list, my rank within that list, and how many offers are usually extended to those on such a list (given past records).

If I could do it again, I would explicitly request no correspondence other than admitted/not admitted.

Email and ask the grad coordinator!!! This will not hurt your chances.

It is positive, but your fate rests with the deans, the funding and the choices of the other admits. If they were not interested in you, you would have been rejected. Beyond expressing your interest there isn't much you can do but wait.

They can't give you chances because the school cannot predict what students will do this year, although you can be sure almost no program has 100% yield. What happens last year has no bearing on what admitted students choose to do this year. Much of it has to do with what students decline the offer, what they want their income cohort to look like, and if they have the money to fund you - all of which you have no control over.

It is fine to call to express your interest, ask about the waitlist size and if they rank. It might be helpful to ask if there is anything you can do to improve your chances of admission from the waiting list. Beyond those questions there is basically nothing you can do except wait.

Make sure to accept an offer at another school and deposit (if you have another choice) because you might never come off the waitlist. In the event you are taken off the waitlist and choose to enroll you will forfeit your deposit at the other school. Think of it as an insurance policy.

I received a wait list letter as well. I emailed the Graduate Admissions director in my department asking how soon I should expect to know and my status on the wait list. I received a very positive response back including exact information on how many applied, how many were on the wait list, and my position on the wait list. The admissions director also let me know what they usually admit off the wait list (sometimes all, sometimes most). This made me feel a lot better about the whole situation. I thought it was helpful to let them know again that their school was my top choice and I enthusiastically listed all the reasons their program was a good fit for both of us. (I kept it brief) I don't think it hurts whatsoever to inquire about your position and push for your interest in the program, especially if its guaranteed funding with acceptance. :)

I received a wait list letter as well. I emailed the Graduate Admissions director in my department asking how soon I should expect to know and my status on the wait list. I received a very positive response back including exact information on how many applied, how many were on the wait list, and my position on the wait list. The admissions director also let me know what they usually admit off the wait list (sometimes all, sometimes most). This made me feel a lot better about the whole situation. I thought it was helpful to let them know again that their school was my top choice and I enthusiastically listed all the reasons their program was a good fit for both of us. (I kept it brief) I don't think it hurts whatsoever to inquire about your position and push for your interest in the program, especially if its guaranteed funding with acceptance. :)

That was very reassuring, thank you!

I would be willing to email the graduate coordinator, but I'm still not sure if this school is my top choice. The other front-runner hasn't sent out any notifications and my application is still under review. If you were in my position, would you:

1) Risk being an annoyance and send a cut-and-dry email to the graduate coordinator requesting more information (for the second time in 2 days), OR

2) Wait until you receive a response from the other university and then commit to saying that this school is your top choice, etc. etc.?

I don't want to make any unwarranted assumptions, but my other top choice is ranked higher, so I assume my chances for acceptance will probably be lower (i.e. I may receive a rejection). I'm guessing notification will come around late March or early April. Thanks again for the input and sorry about my indecisiveness! I feel like a lost little boy...

Well, the grad coordinator has no influence on admissions. I think it is fine to request more information. I would (and have).

Also, is there any faculty member in the department/potential advisor you have been in contact with previously? I sent an email to faculty I had been emailing and asked her some of the same questions: do they usually get off the waitlist, is it ranked, when will I hear by?

Don't worry!! This is part of their job. They are used to it.

Yes, I did contact a potential advisor previously, but I don't know if he's on the graduate committee. Since he is a relatively new hire (late 2007), I really don't think he would be able to properly answer those questions. Argh, I'm so afraid of stepping on toes, here. Any suggestions on how to word the request? Ideally, I would like to say that I'm trying to weigh/prioritize competing offers, but truthfully, I haven't heard anything from anyone else. I just need this information so I can sleep at night!

Well, I did have a few other offers, so I did mention that--the faculty I talked to asked me what my first choice, second choice, aid offers were (in an effort to give me differences between programs, etc). So, perhaps don't lie.

WHat I would say--"I am very still very interested in the program and I had a few questions about the waitlist process. I know you are relatively new to the department, but do you have any idea what the target cohort size is, how many offers have already been extended, and if they have pulled from the waitlist in past years? I don't want to get too excited if there is little chance I will eventually be offered admission."

Or, you could wait to send this type of email after you have another offer. I sent this type of email because the woman I had been in contact with was very helpful during the application process and seemed willing to help me out.

I chose to email the director of graduate studies and, low and behold, no response. Bummer. I really hate being ignored - especially when I'm paying them to review at my application. Oh well, maybe I'll hit the sauce to get my mind of things.

I just wanted to thank everyone who contributed to this thread. I am currently wait listed at the same school that wait listed me two years ago, and I've been debating whether or not to email the grad coordinator and the professor I interviewed with. However, I feel better about doing so knowing that some people do get good information this way. I may wait a little longer just in case the news isn't good, so I can have a few more weeks of hope though!