How big is your discipline's package?

Guest dreamgoat

• 4 weeks later...

My package (including tuition waiver) is about $17k, which I'm happy with for an MS program. I was worried that I wouldn't get funding, and it was harder than I thought it would be to secure it. Congrats to those who reeled in the big offers!

MS (music technology) program:

$1500 per month, no summer funding, tuition waiver. Had to pay $1615 per sem towards fees that could not be waived. No health insurance subsidy. Location: Atlanta, Georgia.

PhD programs:

I had $20.5 + my health insurance 100% subsidized from a highly ranked school in Chicago (PhD, Linguistics).

I opted for $17K + 85% subsidized health insurance for my spouse and myself in Columbus (PhD, Psychology).

Figured that a couple could live better in Columbus (much lower cost of living) than in Chicago on the respective stipends. Also Chicago offered no health insurance subsidy for the spouse. Had to shell out an extra $5K per year for the university insurance for the spouse. Liked the chicago program a lot better though :(

PhD in Linguistics: I had five offers ranging from 20-27K for 5 years, all including fees, a tuition waiver, and health insurance. The amounts would increase yearly by several hundred dollars. Varying amounts of entrance awards and summer funding -- usually these weren't large sums. Most schools required 1-3 years of TAship, the 1st and last year were always on fellowship.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 years later...

>>I find it amusing that RAND presents it this way. Normally they list it as tuition plus stipend of Xthousand a year.

While it is funny that RAND talked about cubicle space, but the overall amount $48,200 is just as you say...tuition+stipend.

>>Congrats on RAND.

Thanks!

>>I like that they made sure to also include info about your cubicle -- and it is "within RAND corporation" -- phew, you must be relieved it is not in some storage >>closet in some junior congressman from North Dakota's office). They're very serious over there, measuring nuclear fallout patterns and whatnot. The RAND >>mo-fos dont play! It's the original think tank.

Now about the cubicle space...I guess RAND is a little detail oriented (so am I). I like knowing EXACTLY what I am getting into, so I am glad they covered it.

The cubicles are great and you also get issued a laptop!