How big is your discipline's package?

Guest dreamgoat

>>I find it amusing that RAND presents it this way. Normally they list it as tuition plus stipend of Xthousand a year.

While it is funny that RAND talked about cubicle space, but the overall amount $48,200 is just as you say...tuition+stipend.

>>Congrats on RAND.

Thanks!

>>I like that they made sure to also include info about your cubicle -- and it is "within RAND corporation" -- phew, you must be relieved it is not in some storage >>closet in some junior congressman from North Dakota's office). They're very serious over there, measuring nuclear fallout patterns and whatnot. The RAND >>mo-fos dont play! It's the original think tank.

Now about the cubicle space...I guess RAND is a little detail oriented (so am I). I like knowing EXACTLY what I am getting into, so I am glad they covered it.

My Ivy in the Humanities realm: $20,710 nine month stipend, full tuition, health insurance--all for 5 years (two as a TA) plus 4 years of summer funding, and some funds available for travel, conferences etc.! I'm ecstatic :mrgreen: (also, BEAUTIFUL campus/town---my Arcadia!)

English Ph.D.

The best package I got was from:

UC Davis: full tuition, health insurance, First year: $22,000 + $17,000/ a year stipend for years 2-5, with the possibility to petition for one extra year of teaching + stipend. Competitive dissertation fellowships in year 6.

What is normal for English Ph.D.s?

• 2 weeks later...

I can tell you that 16K will not go far in Baltimore. :D

$1000 in Baltimore is more like $500 or less in Virginia.

But there are many convenience stores to supplement income as long as you are not afraid working overnight. :D

I can tell you that 16K will not go far in Baltimore. :D

$1000 in Baltimore is more like $500 or less in Virginia.

But there are many convenience stores to supplement income as long as you are not afraid working overnight. :D

ha- i grew up in NY and currently live in boston. baltimore seems cheap to me!

MA in Spanish & French (Languages & Literatures) at University of Delaware

full funding guaranteed for 2 years (tuition & $14,600 stipend from TAship), with potential to reapply for fifth semester since I'm pursuing a double-major course of study - really excited about the funding because I know that most MA programs, especially in the humanities, aren't nearly as generous (the perks of a department that chooses to focus heavily on MA students instead of having a PhD program!)

• 2 weeks later...

$24k with fellowship plus tution (plus associated fees, health insurance, etc.) waiver for the first year, Bioengineering PhD.

What does it mean when they say that this is just for the first year, anyone?

$24k with fellowship plus tution (plus associated fees, health insurance, etc.) waiver for the first year, Bioengineering PhD.

What does it mean when they say that this is just for the first year, anyone?

I'm taking it to mean that you'll have to compete for your funding in subsequent years, i.e. not a guaranteed multi-year funding package.