Top unfunded art schools Vs Medium ranked fully funded schools?

metalist

Hi, I am older than most of you, I am married and have two kids.

I was accepted to a top University with very limited financial aid offer and to a medium ranked university ranked #114 in fine arts but highly ranked in other disciplines funded with full tuition remission, TA, and stipend.

I have to decide BTW the universities. What's your opinion?

It's a tough call, I made a similar decision last year - though I didn't have a family. I think you have to consider all of what's involved - moving, time spent away form working, the impact on your family relationships it will have, the stress a financial hit might have on your family. Those are obviously very personal things you have to sort out between you and your spouse. 

I also think it depends what you are going for - it says in your bio, you're applying for Jewelry and Metalsmithing? From what I know, that is a very small community. I am not convinced that you would not have exposure to that community as a whole by going to a smaller school - unless of course you had an opportunity to work with the #1 person in the field. Going to a big school doesn't guarantee anything, except debt. And the financial burden can be very real. I am more opt to tell you to go where the money is, unless you'd be really unhappy there for some reason. Money isn't worth sacrificing certain things for, but it may provide you more security down the road, especially with a family. While you may not have to work as much for money while going to a small school, you will have to make up for that with working to gain the exposure going to a larger school might afford you. That's something you'll also have to take into account - if you have the discipline to constantly apply for shows, grants, residencies, etc. 

I would also visit both places, get a feel for them, and then follow your instincts. You'll know where it is you want to go, but you have to be brave enough to follow that, in either direction. 

Thank you, Miyamoto81, for your response, I will definitely take these in consideration.

It will make our life's easier as a family, I guess you are right about the small community issue too.

Thanks again.

Hi, I am older than most of you, I am married and have two kids.

I was accepted to a top University with very limited financial aid offer and to a medium ranked university ranked #114 in fine arts but highly ranked in other disciplines funded with full tuition remission, TA, and stipend.

I have to decide BTW the universities. What's your opinion?

PLEASE, go with "medium ranked" university!   I'm married with THREE kids, (lol)  the amount of difference that the schools reputation will have on your future is tiny compared to the amount of real-life impact that being completely broke during school and in horrible debt will have.  Just the stress of being in debt is bad enough.  

The number one key to success for most artists is having strong motivation and ambition in your work.  I don't know much about "Jewelry and metalsmith"  but how much will a schools reputation really affect your future career goals?  If your goal is to sell your work, then I'm thinking it matters very little, whereas if you are too broke to even afford materials, how are you going to succeed?

My advice is to really look at your goals and think about which you will regret more in the future-- having a huge debt or not having a big name school on your resume?  

For me, I'd rather go with having peace of mind during school and not the burden of debt looming in the back of my mind, especially with having kids.  

Also, don't put too much weight on rankings.  They may give a general idea about the "best" schools, but once you get out of the top 20 or so, i don't think the differences are that much.  If the school is accredited, has working facilities, etc, then i wouldn't get hung up on the numbers.  In this case, location may be a much more important factor than the ranking.  How is the crime rate, weather, etc.?  Good luck!

They may give a general idea about the "best" schools, but once you get out of the top 20 or so, i don't think the differences are that much.  If the school is accredited, has working facilities, etc, then i wouldn't get hung up on the numbers.  In this case, location may be a much more important factor than the ranking.  How is the crime rate, weather, etc.?  Good luck!

I actually thought about this sentence further, what if the unfunded school is top 5 and not top 20 in general,  even than would you advise to go after the money?

They may give a general idea about the "best" schools, but once you get out of the top 20 or so, i don't think the differences are that much.  If the school is accredited, has working facilities, etc, then i wouldn't get hung up on the numbers.  In this case, location may be a much more important factor than the ranking.  How is the crime rate, weather, etc.?  Good luck!

I actually thought about this sentence further, what if the unfunded school is top 5 and not top 20 in general,  even than would you advise to go after the money?

I agree with bots. 

I mean, I wouldn't go to a school that had a BAD reputation for art (if anyone knows a school like that, let us know!).

But yeah, definitely if i was accepted to a "medium" ranked school with full funding, I would choose that any day over Yale with no funding.  

Some of my absolute favorite artists went to "medium" ranked art schools.  There's only one artist that I really love who went to a top 5 school.  

Again, it depends on what you want to do!  Do you want to teach?  Show in Galleries?    

O.K, It has developed again to a new situation:

1. Fool funded offer in a small department of art ranked #114 in fine art, when I am the only graduate in my discipline, but there are undergraduates and facilities open to an interdisciplinary approach. There are other graduates in other disciplines although not all disciplines have graduates students. I have a family and kids so the environment and maybe the lack of pressure (if present)   also could fit. 

2. SMFA Post Bac with some Merit and need based scholarship. As I see it I guess I will need 10-15k to fund the school.

3. Top university not funded.

What do you think of universities like option 1, in general?

Thanks all for your help!

It all depends on what you want.  If you want to push yourself and learn the most you could from an MFA, then option 1 is not for you.  If you don't want to take out a lot of loans and have to pay them back over years then option 3 is not for you.   Option 2 is somewhere in between, but getting another fully funded MFA offer after the post bac would not necessarily happen.  You haven't mentioned what you want to do with your degree, whether its making a living from selling your work internationally, on a more regional scope, teaching at some level, or working another job while making art part-time.  All are valid, but they would result in different approaches to choosing a school.

O.K, It has developed again to a new situation:

1. Fool funded offer in a small department of art ranked #114 in fine art, when I am the only graduate in my discipline, but there are undergraduates and facilities open to an interdisciplinary approach. There are other graduates in other disciplines although not all disciplines have graduates students. I have a family and kids so the environment and maybe the lack of pressure (if present)   also could fit. 

2. SMFA Post Bac with some Merit and need based scholarship. As I see it I guess I will need 10-15k to fund the school.

3. Top university not funded.

What do you think of universities like option 1, in general?

Thanks all for your help!

I'd go with option one. Sounds best for you and your family. Option 2 is the worst.

I agree with bots. 

I mean, I wouldn't go to a school that had a BAD reputation for art (if anyone knows a school like that, let us know!).

But yeah, definitely if i was accepted to a "medium" ranked school with full funding, I would choose that any day over Yale with no funding.  

Some of my absolute favorite artists went to "medium" ranked art schools.  There's only one artist that I really love who went to a top 5 school.  

Again, it depends on what you want to do!  Do you want to teach?  Show in Galleries?    

It all depends on what you want.  If you want to push yourself and learn the most you could from an MFA, then option 1 is not for you.  If you don't want to take out a lot of loans and have to pay them back over years then option 3 is not for you.   Option 2 is somewhere in between, but getting another fully funded MFA offer after the post bac would not necessarily happen.  You haven't mentioned what you want to do with your degree, whether its making a living from selling your work internationally, on a more regional scope, teaching at some level, or working another job while making art part-time.  All are valid, but they would result in different approaches to choosing a sch

Here is what I want: to create art, exhibit and sell, to teach at an academic level and to spend time with my family.

What do you know about small departments of art with only a few graduates?

I'd go with Number 1, Number 3 if you like to take risks, or option 4: try again next year and apply to more "medium" ranked schools that ARE funded.   

I think there are some schools that actually have a rolling admission, so it might be possible to still apply.

Edited by hwrios

Option 1.... maybe  but it depends on what school it is.  Does it have a decent reputation in general, or is it ranked really low on everything?  Would they give you any teaching experience?  Is it near or in a large town where there would be other art opportunities?  Is the town amazingly great and so family friendly that it would be worth it?      

If you want to teach the most important factor is actual teaching expereince as an "instructor of record."  If one school will give you that opportunity, that school will be a better choice.  If school 1 only offers you TA posiitons but doesn't let you teach your own class, then you will not be able to teach until you have a really strong exhibiton history and experience, so that may likely be a decade down the road.

If you want to exhibit in international biennials, then option 3 would give you a better jump start towards that, but if you want to exhibit more in metalsmithing and jewelry specific shows or juried exhibitions, etc, then option 1 would be the better choice, because the debt wouldn't hold you back as much.

Small departments means lots of attention from faculty, but also means a smaller amount of connections and learning expereinces.  If you are the only metalsmith in the program, as you previously mentioned, then you will not be able to trade techniques with other MFA students like you would if you had more metals colleagues.

It is good to know how the u.s. news rankings are determined (see link below).  If you visit the school, see the spaces, and talk to the students and faculty; you will be able to make much more current and precise rankings both for yourself - and for others. The current rankings were published in 2012, but may be based second-hand on the anecdotes of knowing a colleague that studied somewhere 15 years ago. 

http://anony.ws/i/ZUjdx.jpg

The reputation of the university is great, it has departments known at top 10: Engineering, Management, sorry for not stating what university it is, I am not comfortable doing so, although i truly want to, I don't really know why.  some how the art department is ranked quiet low.?

Unfortunately, I am too far to visit the university, I am out of the states. I need to gather as much information as i can on this kind of art departments: small with a few graduates, i guess all funded with TA, I don't know which yet

It is good to know how the u.s. news rankings are determined (see link below).  If you visit the school, see the spaces, and talk to the students and faculty; you will be able to make much more current and precise rankings both for yourself - and for others. The current rankings were published in 2012, but may be based second-hand on the anecdotes of knowing a colleague that studied somewhere 15 years ago. 

http://anony.ws/i/ZUjdx.jpg

I understand that the ranking method is over appreciated, yet I don't understand why the university is hardly to not mentioned in the forum.

Option 1.... maybe  but it depends on what school it is.  Does it have a decent reputation in general, or is it ranked really low on everything?  Would they give you any teaching experience?  Is it near or in a large town where there would be other art opportunities?  Is the town amazingly great and so family friendly that it would be worth it?  

I've noticed that on this forum people tend to only talk about the top schools.  There are apparently over 100 schools that offer MFAs so not every school will be mentioned. I was accepted to Ohio University, which is ranked around #50, so I don't expect many people to talk about it.   
I still wish you could just tell us the name!  I don't see the big deal.

O. K. hwrios, good job!

now that it's open, and I guess it's ok that it is, do you know anything on the University? why do you think I should go there?

Can anybody shed some light on Purdue University and on the art department? Did anyone else apply to it?

Have you considered residencies (Haystack, Penland, Arrowmont, Metalwerx, etc) and conferences (SNAG, SOFA, Talente, etc.) to supplement your MFA experience? If you choose to go with a small program, you can still venture out and network with other artists outside of your program. You might want to ask if your MFA program has funding available for external studies and conference attendance.

Just thoughts.

If you are interested in exhibiting your work, attending SOFA would be a good way to gauge where you fit into the J+M world.  Most US art jewelry galleries are there: Sienna Gallery, Ornamentum, Jeweler's Werk, Charon Kransen, Aaron Faber, and a few more that slip my mind.

If you are interested in developing techniques and interacting with other artists, then attending a residency program (over the summer, usually 1 - 6 weeks) is a great way to network and receive insights on your style of making.  Haystack & Penland are very well known and respected (artist instructors: Maria Phillips, Lola Brooks, Heather White, Arthur Hash, John Cogswell).

As you are deciding where to attend, ask the GS director how they can support your interests as an artist in a small program.  Some schools will flat out pay for your travel, tuition and per diem to attend outside enrichment activities...they may also have special relationships with several.  It can't hurt to ask.