When are the PhD admission results for Biology usually declared?

shreya s

I have applied to USC, Wesleyan, UIC, Miami, Ohio and a few other universities for PhD in Biological sciences after contacting the Professors there. Can anyone please tell me when do they generally declare their admission results? I am an International student and I still haven't heard anything from any University. The admission counselors at the universities are saying that the applications are still "under review". I am starting to freak out now.

Some of the universities choose to do the skype interviews earlier than the domestic ones; others later. Also there are universities like UVa (virginia.edu) that is infamous for late decisions. I am not sure about the universities where you have applied. I'm from the same background (same country, same stream) and I have had 4 interviews yet with one acceptance and one rejection. Although it is getting late, there's one thing for certain: you are still in the hunt; at least in the waiting list (since I guess a few universities have already sent the first batch of acceptance letters). It's good news for you that you were not rejected outright without an interview in the middle of January of early February (some candidates receive their rejection letters then). It's bad news that you are yet to have any interview. But then again, in our stream selection:interview ratio is high (1:4 to 3:4). So if you are asked to sit for an interview, you would definitely make it (because it is too late). Also the universities where you have applied are not too high ranking; that means many of the first choice candidates of theirs will turn down the offer. So hang on there.

I have applied to USC, Wesleyan, UIC, Miami, Ohio and a few other universities for PhD in Biological sciences after contacting the Professors there. Can anyone please tell me when do they generally declare their admission results? I am an International student and I still haven't heard anything from any University. The admission counselors at the universities are saying that the applications are still "under review". I am starting to freak out now.

I too have applied for PhD program in Biomedical Sciences to Temple, Virginia Tech & SUNY Downstate Medical Centre and haven't heard from any of them yet. Applied to two of them after my preapplication was cleared by them.I too am feeling unnerved but still hoping for some positive news. Good luck to you.

Some of the universities choose to do the skype interviews earlier than the domestic ones; others later. Also there are universities like UVa (virginia.edu) that is infamous for late decisions. I am not sure about the universities where you have applied. I'm from the same background (same country, same stream) and I have had 4 interviews yet with one acceptance and one rejection. Although it is getting late, there's one thing for certain: you are still in the hunt; at least in the waiting list (since I guess a few universities have already sent the first batch of acceptance letters). It's good news for you that you were not rejected outright without an interview in the middle of January of early February (some candidates receive their rejection letters then). It's bad news that you are yet to have any interview. But then again, in our stream selection:interview ratio is high (1:4 to 3:4). So if you are asked to sit for an interview, you would definitely make it (because it is too late). Also the universities where you have applied are not too high ranking; that means many of the first choice candidates of theirs will turn down the offer. So hang on there.

Does the interview ratio 1:4 mean that for one slot four candidates are interviewd. Any way congrats on your acceptance. Which school are you going to ?

Hi. I just got a letter from the Professor at Miami U, Ohio saying that I "have been recommended for admission to PhD and will receive a letter from the Graduate School soon". I hope that means I am admitted. Will wait for the letter to arrive. I know the wait is the worst! I still haven't heard anything from any of the other schools. 

Does the interview ratio 1:4 mean that for one slot four candidates are interviewd. Any way congrats on your acceptance. Which school are you going to ?

Yes, that's what I meant. I've decided to go to Rutgers-UMDNJ. It was my third choice; but good enough for me. :)

Thanks so much for the reply. How were you contacted for the interview? Did you receive an email?

Yes, I did. By the way, check your spam folders too, 'cause you may lose any there.

Hi. I just got a letter from the Professor at Miami U, Ohio saying that I "have been recommended for admission to PhD and will receive a letter from the Graduate School soon". I hope that means I am admitted. Will wait for the letter to arrive. I know the wait is the worst! I still haven't heard anything from any of the other schools. 

The long wait has paid off. congrats. Hope this includes full funding. getting acceptance without even an interview is great. Your GPA and GRE scores should be very good. Did you also take the subject GRE ?

Congrat! Miami is a very decent school and Ohio is a nice place to be. By the way, it is not unusual in other stream of science to admit a student without an interview. Biologists perhaps like to talk too much. ^_^

Thanks so much. I am still waiting for other universities to respond. The topic is actually Geomicrobiology and is under the Department of Geology, maybe thats why there wasn't an interview. I did not know much about Miami U but upon a little research, I think its a good school. How is it going with you?