Columbia MS&E VS MIT CDO

ORFEboy

Hi,

I recently got admitted to two MS programs:

Columbia Univerisity - Management Science and Engineering (1.5 years)

MIT - Computation for Design and Optimization (2 years)

I'm interested in applications of Operations Research in financial engineering, logistics/supply chain, and vehicle routing/transportation systems. My ultimate goal is to continue at the Ph.D. level in the field of Operations Research. I decided to apply to M.S. program first because I did not have much background or experience in research.

Any one has any thoughts on these programs? Thanks a lot!

Hey,

I also applied for a couple M.S. programs in the field of IEOR and got admitted to Columbia's MS&E program last Friday. This was my top choice, so I won't even be waiting for other schools to respond.

I did not apply for the program that you mention at MIT and therefore I am not really sure what the program details are. If I were you, I would compare each program's curriculum and areas of specialization and ask myself which one is a better suit for you. I know that Columbia's MS&E program in fact offers many classes in OR, Financial Engineering, Supply Chain and Logistics Analytics. So I am pretty sure the courses would fit you well. They are both great schools, so there is no wrong choice here.  Good luck!

Without a doubt, MIT CDO.

My understanding is that Stanford MS&E is not geared towards prepping you for a Ph.D. There are many things written about it on the internet, but basically its a flexible program with lots of course options. But its not a research degree. Same with Columbia MS&E. Both great programs, but they seem designed to send students into the workforce.

If you're serious about a Ph.D., then you absolutely want to build up a research profile. CDO is a thesis based program, and so when you get ready to apply for Ph.D. programs, you'll have serious research under your belt and MIT profs that can vouch for your potential as a researcher. That will do you more good than any set of courses or whatever GPA you get at Stanford MS&E, in my opinion.

Huge congratulations on all the offers though!

Thanks for your advice! What if I am still not 100% sure on Ph.D., does Stanford have some advantages? I contacted MIT professors that I wanted to work with, but some replied that they did not have available positions. I might have to find one if I don't mind which project I will be working on. Still, I am very indecisive here.

Which topic are you most serious about? If it's financial engineering, you would be silly to go to Stanford or mit over Columbia as the former have like 1-2 top people in financial engineering. Columbia has like 10. If you want to do optimization, MIT is the clear winner. Stanford has strengths too etc. All three are top 5 OR departments (we are ignoring industrial engineering in this statement, they are often lumped together for some reason)

Yeah, everything I've read and heard tends to indicate that Stanford MS&E grads place moreso in consulting and startups and less so in quantitative research positions / finance.

If you want to keep Ph.D. options open in the future, I still think MIT CDO is best. I doubt you'll have a hard time getting industry jobs out of CDO (I might be wrong), plus you get the added benefit of getting some research experience. Overall it might be the best move. 

Also worth keeping in mind that Columbia MS&E is not the flagship Columbia financial engineering program -- MSFE does really well, but I've heard all the other masters programs struggle with placement.

• 8 months later...

Hi Guys!

So I am applying to the MS&E program in Columbia and am thinking about the same program at stanford. Could you tell me, based on your experience, which is better? I aim to go into consulting primarily. 

I am a senior in ChemE with a GPA of around 3.7 with a minor in Business. I just took the GRE and scored a 161 Q and 159 V with 4.5 in Writing. 

I have some undergraduate research experience- but not necessarily in a ChemE field - more material science. I have interned at a Fortune 500 company and am currently co-oping. 

What do you think my chances are of getting in?

Thanks!

Not sure about columbia, but you will probably need to retake your GRE if you want a good chance for Stanford. See http://www.stanford.edu/dept/MSandE/cgi-bin/admissions/admitstats.php. While the GRE is not as critical as your LoRs and SoP, as a negative filter, a low quant GRE score can and will prevent the ad comm from ever reading your LoRs and SoP.