Need advice for someone out of the field/not at all acquainted with SLP

Hello,

I am looking for some advice.

A little background: I'm currently finishing a Masters at Harvard in religious studies. I have a BA in philosophy and theology. I thought I wanted to pursue a career in academia, but now I am pretty sure that this is not for me. After undergrad, I did two years of AmeriCorps in Chicago and was a live-in Direct Support Professional (DSP) for men and women with developmental disabilities at a residential facility (mostly adults). There, I was introduced to SLP, speech therapy, and various other therapies (like OT, PT, and general sensory therapies). I really enjoyed my time there. Having said that, my exposure to SLP is very limited. I have never taken any courses in it, as most of my coursework has been in the humanities. I have some exposure to it during my work as a DSP, but it is in no way extensive. Still, I think it is something I may be interested in. I would say that my interest definitely arises from my work with individuals with disabilities, and a general interest in human development, disability studies, developmental disorders, etc. 

What would you suggest I do? If I volunteer somewhere, do I need an academic background/some coursework first? Some of you have done research in labs -- I don't see that really being an option for me as I have no background... Are there books I should read - some basic books for introductory purposes? I would appreciate any recommendations. What are some concerns about going in the field? It seem very competitive. Have any of you thought of pursuing vocations in other types of therapist? Why speech and language? What is about speech and pathology that intrigues/draws you? I am also considering physical therapy. Are schools going to be suspicious of my change in career trajectories? What are some things I should consider that I may be overlooking? 

I apologize, I know I must seem so ignorant, and that's cause I really do not know much. I thank you for any advice you can give. I'd really appreciate it. I know it's a lot of questions, so I don't expect all of them to be answered. For the upcoming year(s), I am thinking of working in the Boston/Cambridge and taking pre-reqs. at night, along with volunteering some places. I am fluent in Vietnamese but I can't read or write, so I was thinking of brushing up on that, as well as brushing up my Spanish.  I know many of you are hearing back/waiting to hear back from programs now, so I wish you all the best!! Again, thank you in advance for any words of wisdom you can provide.

Nancy

Most places don't require volunteers to have academic background. However, it might be hard to find volunteer experiences that apply directly to the field depending on where you are. I would definitely recommend shadowing or observing SLPs working in whatever areas appeal to you. Also, most graduate schools require a certain amount of observation hours before you can start working with clients, so if you can get a licensed SLP to sign off on some hours for you, it might be helpful. 

You might consider reading some journal articles or just general articles from ASHA/the ASHA leader, the Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, and so on. If you're looking for something like an introductory textbook, the survey course at my University uses Introduction To Communication Disorders: An Evidence-based Lifespan Perspective 4th Edition. But that is if you really just want a basic overview of what this field deals with. You can also find basic information about options within the field and other resources on the ASHA website. Once you decide what you're interested in specifically, you can look for journal articles pertaining to that or search for books online. If you're interested in textbooks/academic texts, you could even go to a University bookstore website and see what books the classes are using. 

This field is getting very competitive, however, if you are able to get into it, it offers a lot of great opportunities. There are many options for places that you could work (schools, rehabilitation centers, clinics, hospitals, private practice, nursing homes, etc.) and populations/disorders you can work with (infants-geriatrics, Autism, articulation, swallowing, neurological, stuttering, voice...you name it). I would say it could be very beneficial for when you are applying for graduate programs to have taken some related classes. There are also post-bacc programs that you can do before graduate school, but I don't know a lot about that. I feel that being multilingual is an asset in this field, especially being able to speak Spanish. 

My mother is an SLP currently working in a nursing home and rehab center so I was always exposed to the field. I was always interested in medicine/healthcare as well as teaching. But I am not exact science minded (chem, bio, physics...not for me) and I wanted more varied and stable job options than teaching could offer right now. I'm also interested in language and languages. I put all those interests together and decided speech-language pathology was a good option. Also, this field has really high job satisfaction and almost 100% of students from some programs find jobs shortly after graduation (according to their websites). What more can you ask for? 

I applied to several graduate programs in Boston so I know there are some wonderful options where you are. I really hope to be out there next year. Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions!

Hi Nancy! Welcome to our little corner of the Grad Cafe:)

1- It's awesome that you've figured out what you're passionate about in life. Lots of students come to SLP after having other careers, so you definitely wouldn't be alone. Some schools actually prefer applicants with diverse, non-traditional backgrounds.

2- Check out ASHA.org, which is the SLP professional organization. You can find links to academic journals, general info about the field, etc.

3- For volunteering, you wouldn't typically need a background. You can ask around to shadow SLPs in your community, or even work part-time as a habilitation therapist or respite provider for clients with speech/language issues.  Grad schools typically like incoming students to already have 25 observation hours with licensed SLPs (can be from multiple SLPs/settings).

4- I considered OT/PT, but didn't want to be in school for so long. SLP programs are typically 2yrs (3 for out-of-field applicants).

Hi Nancy, 

I'm also coming to SLP from a master's in teaching as well as 6 years of experience.  I also found this new dream and didn't know much last April when I stumbled into it.  You don't necessarily need to volunteer, but it is a great way to start on your 25 observation hours for pre-program requirements.  

There are several SLP programs that offer 2.5 or 3 year degrees, for those who are coming from other undergraduate/graduate backgrounds, who need to take the introductory level courses.  They call those students "levelers" during the first year or so, and then you join in with the cohort in the Spring or Fall, depending on how many classes are needed.  One such program is at Univ. of South Carolina - there are only 4 pre-requisite classes (plus observation hours) ,and they require all out-of-fielders (without the pre-reqs) to start during the Summer I and II sessions (usually around May 20th).  UNCGreensboro also has a 3-year program.  Other schools are more specific and want ALL incoming applicants to have already completed the pre-requisites (UNC Chapel Hill, for example).  There are a lot of options in the Northeastern US, so I'm sure you'll be able to look at the various programs to find out who offers pre-reqs as part of the program, who makes you have them to apply,etc.  Use ASHA's "EdFind" feature to locate programs in the desired geographical area you want.

If you are looking to go to school on a "part-time" basis - there are hybrid online programs that offer that.  On EdFind, tell it to bring up online programs and I think there around 15 or so programs around the country.  These programs are usually 3 years long, and the third year is the clinical year where you are pretty much working on your internship most of the time.  They usually advise that full-time jobs will be fine for the first year to 1.5 yrs of the program, then they suggest you drop your job down to part-time.  

I also looked at OT school - it's a little more medical than I want to go, even though I do want to go into the medical aspects of SLP.  

As far as schools being suspicious of a career trajectory change... you are definitely not the only one out there.  I think as long as you are solid in your statement/letter of intent about how you fell in love with this area of work, or what draws you to work there, etc, I think they'll understand without any problems.  Yes, there are a lot of "straight-from-undergrad" candidates out there -  but you and I can bring something more special to the table, work experience in whatever field, a level of working maturity that regular undergrads may not already have, and if you have already had a job working with people, this bodes well for your success as an SLP once you gain the therapy and field knowledge.  

Lots to think about!  There are quite a few options for taking pre-requisite courses ahead of time, which is what I started doing last Summer.  If you just want the 4-6 pre-reqs that places require, you can apply as a non-degree student to anywhere that offers the classes locally or online.  If you want to come out with a heavier background, there are second-baccalaureate options like Utah State and others, usually around 30 credits or so.  

For you, specifically, I think focusing on your personal statement would be a very good start. I have a friend in a graduate SLP program who has done almost the exact same thing as you. She was an undergrad English major, went into AmeriCorps for two years and saw speech pathology there. She applied directly after this with almost no experience in speech-pathology. With SLPs, they know the field is expanding rapidly, and that people are coming from all different academic backgrounds. Having that personal connection to seeing the speech-language pathologists, like you did during your DSP time. Showing passion from even minimal exposure is something graduate admissions offices look for. They want people to want to do it, and from your post here, it really seems like you fit that. I would elaborate on that in your personal statement.

Also, like the others previously stated, some shadowing experience is something that could help as well. Just email SLP offices or departments and see if you can follow someone around. Most are very enthusiastic to help in this way, and it could lead to something more, if you're lucky. I really hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck in your application process!

Kozo, katieliz456, kcald716, and zsmith91, thank you so much to you all!!! I am really grateful. This was such helpful and useful information.

I was a bit overwhelmed at first by all that I didn't know and all that is required to apply to SLP programs as well as the massive undertaking that a change in vocational paths can be -- but it's wonderful to be able to reach out/ask for help, and then receive help/have my questions answered! I am sure I'll be referring to your posts often.  Thanks, again.