To do Master's or go straight into PhD?

Adorabella

Hey everyone... this issue has been on my mind for a long time now. Next year I should be applying for grad school.

By that time I will obtain my BSc degree (majoring in Molecular Biology). 

Due to the structure and length of my studies, I qualify for PhD studies right away, meaning I don't have to do the Master's. I am wondering, should I skip Master's and go straight into PhD - which will save me one/two years, or do Master's? Master's will definitely broaden my research experience and prepare me more for PhD. 

(I am aware that at most universities in US you are not required to do Master's to get into PhD, but in European system it's a little bit different)

Thanks!

In the US a masters is only necessary if you feel that you are not ready to go to graduate school. Otherwise it's a waste of time. I did do a masters after graduating undergrad because I felt like I needed more lab experience and better letters of recommendation. I also got a masters from the UK where it was research focused instead of just taught classes like in the US. If you have lots of research experience good letters and you feel ready to start a PhD program, then a masters would be a waste of time.

If you're ready I'd just go straight into a PhD. Like aryelh I had to do a master's to get more research experience. Otherwise, if you're applying to schools in the US, you really don't need a master's degree.

• 4 weeks later...

Agreed with everything above. I only have an undergrad, and I have been looking at both MS and PhD programs. I've found that I qualify for most PhD programs too. If you're ready, and that's what your ultimate end goal is, then go for it!

Definitely go straight for your PhD. I am completing my masters right now in Cellular Physiology, but the only reasons I stayed here for a masters is because I was switching fields from microbiology to mammalian cell biology. Otherwise, I would have gone straight for the PhD. These guys are right. Unless you're not ready or think you want to go into a slightly different field, go straight through to a PhD Program.

Just like biotechie says, masters is a good option if you are changing your field.
My undergrad degree is from molecular biology and genetics department and when I first applied to computational biology PhD programs at the end of it, I got rejected by all of them. Now I am doing a masters in computer engineering department and I have got a handful of acceptances. I believe expanding my computational knowledge with the masters had significantly increased my chances of getting into a computational biology program. But if you are sticking with the same research area, then I don't think its impact will be that significant. 
However as far as I saw, European programs tend to require masters degree. so if you are planning to go to Europe, you might need to go for masters. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

You need to have MA degree only in the case if you are not able to manage with PhD program without it. In another case, you should not waste your time and it will be better to keep 2 years for other purposes :) As I know, programs in biology are really original and sometimes it is possible to skip MA degree. At least in Russia, one of my friend to do the same thing several years ago.

^I was told to get a Masters simply to improve my chances of getting into a PhD program *because* my GPA was too low. Getting a Masters has helped at least put me into the waitlist lane instead of flat out rejected. So if you're grades are subpar or your GRE scores just aren't it, I'd definitely apply for a Masters (which is also, waaaaaaay easier to get into). If not, save your time and go for a PhD.