Human rights literature

That's sort of a huge topic...  Are you looking for readings tied to (post-)colonialism, the US civil rights movement, something else?  And are you looking for theory reading, or literature where this is a major topic?

James Dawes, professor of English and director of human rights program at Macalester. Has a brilliant book called That The World May Know and one coming out in April--Evil Men. Highly recommended. 

I have, but thanks for the suggestion. And everyone else too! Lots of food for thought :)

Nice. Yeah, I read it my final year of undergrad--pretty much sent me into an existential crisis and made me want to study literature.

Barbara Harlowe and Joseph Slaughter pop into my mind when it comes to this; also UT has the Rapoport Center for Human Rights and Justice, so probably going to their site would be a good idea. We just had an incredible conference with some big names in the area of Human Rights from all over the world about impunity and its centrality to the current human rights movement.

ETA: some silly spelling errors

Edited by GuateAmfeminist

Rob Nixon's work might be of interest to you. He works on human rights as it intersects with environmental justice, postcolonialism, and issues of representation - his most recent book, Slow Violence and the Environmentalism of the Poor, is excellent. He also writes about the position of the scholar-activist.