choose between ms program: Yale and Columbia biostat?

Hi everyone,

Please give me some information you know about these two programs. I am gonna to find a job in industry after graduation and wanna know which program has better reputation and alumni network in industries.

If you guys could also share some info on recent job marketing of masters in biostatistics ~

Thank you a lot for help! feel helpless about deciding which one is better for me.

Someone more informed than I am should chime in, but from my perspective (given the research I've done), I think Columbia has a better reputation in the Biostat field... However, I don't know how substantial the gap in reputation is. Also, given you only desire a masters for industry, I think reputation matters even less. Unless Columbia is funding you, I would take Yale if I was in your position for the main reason being cost of living in New Haven is less than NYC and even though both have fantastic reputations, I'd give an edge to Yale for the "name brand"

Edit: on a different note, how did Yale notify you? I'm still waiting for a PhD decision and I assume I'd the masters offers were sent out yesterday, then, PhD may be coming soon

Edited by Noco7

I am facing the same problem too.

Financial wise, I actually found Columbia's tuition to be a lot cheaper than Yale? 

Columbia: 18 units/year * $1400/unit = $25,200/year

Yale: $34,000/year

Does anyone know if this information is true?

But of course, I would assume the living expenses in NYC is much higher than New Haven. So the total cost would add up to be about the same.

Edit: on a different note, how did Yale notify you? I'm still waiting for a PhD decision and I assume I'd the masters offers were sent out yesterday, then, PhD may be coming soon

Noco7, my MS decision was notified yesterday too. They sent me an email saying an decision has been made and a link direct me to the application website. Good luck to you  :)

Edited by naryx

Hi everyone,

Please give me some information you know about these two programs. I am gonna to find a job in industry after graduation and wanna know which program has better reputation and alumni network in industries.

If you guys could also share some info on recent job marketing of masters in biostatistics ~

Thank you a lot for help! feel helpless about deciding which one is better for me.

Columbia has a better reputation in Biostats and a bigger alumni network due to the size of their program, but those things should matter less in industry like Noco said. As far as the job market goes for Biostatisticians, couple people in the field have told me that it's pretty good.

Hi guys,

thank you for all your helpful information. For Decaf`s question, they sent me a email and tell me decision has been available online in the application system.

In my opinion, Columbia has its own medical center and hospital which is helpful for students to find internship but its master program always recruit too many students and the qualify of courses for masters are not as good as that of their phd program. Its location also is a big attraction for us who want finding jobs after graduation instead of further study.

Yale only recruit 10 master for this program this year, so I think the quality should be also better. And that program include a thesis project, which mean more opportunities to obtain practical experience.

It is a really hard decision to make. 

Hi guys,

thank you for all your helpful information. For Decaf`s question, they sent me a email and tell me decision has been available online in the application system.

In my opinion, Columbia has its own medical center and hospital which is helpful for students to find internship but its master program always recruit too many students and the qualify of courses for masters are not as good as that of their phd program. Its location also is a big attraction for us who want finding jobs after graduation instead of further study.

Yale only recruit 10 master for this program this year, so I think the quality should be also better. And that program include a thesis project, which mean more opportunities to obtain practical experience.

It is a really hard decision to make. 

Yale only recruit 10 master students this year?! Could I ask where did you get that information?

If it's true I must be really lucky!

They only accepted 10 Masters Biostatistics candidates? Is this for the MPH and MS degrees?

Also, for the Columbia Biostatistics program, that's a 1-year accelerated program, right? Unless you're talking about the Biostatsitics Certificate, I would consider the classes and pacing of the curriculum.