Is there any hope left at this point?

MammaD

I'm totally serious.

If we haven't heard yet, is there even still a chance?

I applied to a Maternal/Child Health program that I haven't seen any results posted for yet. My numbers are strong compared to their averages from last year's enrolled class.

I'm losing hope, though. :(

From my experience, I have noticed that the bigger schools with higher rankings take longer to make decisions. All my safety schools have already sent decisions but the 3 top schools that I applied to told me they will begin reviewing the applicants after March 1st. So dont lose hope!!

It really depends on the individual program.  The one I applied to is still taking applications.  Last year they didn't close applications till late MAY. 

I'm losing hope too. D: At least on gradcafe, my school hasn't had anyone listed get into the masters program that I've applied to...like ever. Hopefully they're just not posting the acceptance and the school I applied to just doesn't do the masters program anymore.

I interviewed with my top choice about a month ago. If you where a top applicant then you got in immedietly, otherwise you waited until the end of the interviews which I thought there was only one more. 

Nope called today and they are doing another weekend....

Bottom line, its not over till its over and not hearing anything doesn't mean rejection at this point. 

After last year, I look at it this way: there's hope until April 15th. Anything can and does happen before that. But if that date passes, and you haven't heard anything, you should be looking at plan B.

Thanks, everyone. I'm trying to think in terms that it's not going to happen for me and a PhD. I'm older, and probably not up for putting myself through this process again if I'm not successful this time. I applied to 2 programs at 1 school, and was rejected from the other program in mid-February. :(

I'm also older, but I applied to a lot more programs than you did. If nothing had worked out, I definitely would have reapplied. I knew where the weaknesses in my application were and I would have spent the year working on them.

Thanks, everyone. I'm trying to think in terms that it's not going to happen for me and a PhD. I'm older, and probably not up for putting myself through this process again if I'm not successful this time. I applied to 2 programs at 1 school, and was rejected from the other program in mid-February. :(

Honestly, in the grand scheme of things, what does a year mean??

There is something to be said for going for what you want. And I understand that sometimes it gets discouraging know, but if this is what you want, don't be discouraged. Its a lot to put yourself through but if this is what you want don't be discouraged.

With 6 rejections in hand the best coping mechanism i've heard is to make a list of all the things you can do this year by not going to grad school and then reapply. I'm going to take a trip to Scotland if I don't get in. And then its not so bad, its just a matter of perspective, you know?

I have been struggling with the same thoughts! I just submitted my applications February 1st, but it seems like months have gone by. I am trying to stay positive. My motto is... If you are applying at all, then of course you have a good chance of getting in. We aren't in denial, we are definitely smart enough, it is just a matter of fitting into the program, and being "the chosen one." I am keeping my fingers crossed for you too.

There aren't many places I could have applied with my research interests, and I chose the school I did because a researcher/faculty member there has been very encouraging of the work I'd like to do (similar to the work she's doing). I also have to consider where I'm going to raise my 3 kids.

There are other means to the end I seek, but a PhD is the most direct one. The uncertainty has been really rough on my family -- we can't make plans for anything about next year until we have a decision. Everything is on hold. If it were just me, I suppose I could apply to programs that are even remotely related to my area of research interest without regard for where I could end up, but I don't really have that luxury at this point in my life. I also don't think I could put my husband and kids through another season of uncertainty like this one has been.

So, I wait, but I feel like at this point, my odds seem pretty slim.

Thinking good thoughts for you, MammaD!

It really isn't over until it's over. The program you applied to might not formally reject people until first-round accepted applicants notify them with their decisions, or they might not have notified anyone yet--it is 100% possible as every program, even within the same school, functions differently and works on a different time frame.

In my field, we're all still waiting to hear back from the majority of schools, and some of the deadlines were back in December or early January.

Oh, also, I don't think you need to justify where you applied and why. It would have been a bad move to apply to programs you were only somewhat interested in or that weren't a good fit just because, and adcoms usually see through that tactic anyway. I only applied to two programs due to my very specific needs (i.e, I'm 32, married, and needed a school with a pre-req track; I'm not willing to move somewhere that doesn't appeal to me or that is far away from all of my family and friends); it would have been a waste of time and money for me to apply far and wide given my personal situation, though I knew it was risky to apply to so few schools.

This process is tough for everyone, even fresh-faced undergrads, but I really can't imagine going through it while raising kids and supporting a family. Kudos to you and everyone else who's done it.

Edited by midnight streetlight