Where are you not going?

So I realize that it is a little early for people to start making decisions, but I figured it would be interesting to see where people are not going. I know I won't be going to Nebraska. That being said I am still thinking about my three other options. Also, those waiting for funding or wait listed might also get a sense of hope from a thread like this. :)

After visits and a lot of debating...my final 3 are: UW-Seattle, UMass-Amherst & UNC-Chapel Hill.

I eliminated two schools based on visits and faculty interaction...I have yet to visit the last two (heading to both this week and next!), but have long bee in contact with both programs.

How about you??

Sue, I'm considering the PhD in Comm. Do you know anything about the program at Iowa?

You're still not being specific enough! PhD in Mass Communication or Communication Studies? It actually matters; the latter is the one with the high reputation.

-Sue

Sue - I'm talking about PhD Comm Studies - the comm dept doesn't distinguish between the two as far as I know since I was told everyone takes courses in IP comm, media and rhetoric. Do you know anything?

Sue - I'm talking about PhD Comm Studies - the comm dept doesn't distinguish between the two as far as I know since I was told everyone takes courses in IP comm, media and rhetoric. Do you know anything?

There are two PhD programs at University of Iowa, associated with different departments: Communication Studies and Mass Communication. Students have been known to apply to the "wrong" department there by mistake!

For what it's worth, I think Iowa's program is generally considered significantly better than the one at UMass, and their graduates do better on the job market. I am, though, partial to the Five College area; I did my undergraduate degree at one of the schools there.

-Sue

What exactly is the difference between mass communication and communication studies? I understand communication studies deals with the sharing of symbols over distances of space over time. Mass comm deals with media designed to reach a very large audience. However, wouldn't the two overlap? I always took degress in comm studies and mass comm as sort of the same thing...Could you clarify?

• 5 months later...