Thoughts on doing research in grad school?

I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on doing research or a research assistantship in grad school. I was offered partial tuition and a stipend at a pretty high-ranked school to do research on cochlear implants. It seems like the offer of a lifetime, because when else will I get to do something awesome like that? However, I'm just not sure I LOVE research, I really like working with clients and being around people. And working 20 hours a week on top of the regular grad school requirements seems daunting  :( I could go to a lower-ranked school for cheaper than this school, but I wouldn't get the great opportunity.. but I also wouldn't have to take out loans. Is anyone else thinking of going into research? I'd love to hear other's experiences!

That seems like a great opportunity to consider! :D Do you have experience doing research in undergrad? I feel like that would be the best way to determine how much you'd like doing research in grad school.  And do you know exactly what this research would involve? If you'd be stuck in a cubicle doing hours of data entry, it could get pretty boring, but if you're going out to elementary schools and doing tests on CI kids, that might be more enjoyable for a people-person like you :) 

I've learned that I, personally, love doing data collection (working with research subjects in the lab, collecting language samples, etc.) but I'm not a fan of doing lit reviews, and running statistical analyses, etc.

I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on doing research or a research assistantship in grad school. I was offered partial tuition and a stipend at a pretty high-ranked school to do research on cochlear implants. It seems like the offer of a lifetime, because when else will I get to do something awesome like that? However, I'm just not sure I LOVE research, I really like working with clients and being around people. And working 20 hours a week on top of the regular grad school requirements seems daunting  :( I could go to a lower-ranked school for cheaper than this school, but I wouldn't get the great opportunity.. but I also wouldn't have to take out loans. Is anyone else thinking of going into research? I'd love to hear other's experiences!

If you have netflix, check out the documentary Sound and Fury. It might spark your interest in doing research on CI! 

There's a lot to consider! Are you interested in CIs at all? Do you want to go into research after your education? If not, it's important to consider if coming out of school in a lot of debt it worth it for you. If you're also unsure if you can handle the 20 hours a week on top of school, that may also be a reason to consider declining.

Weigh the positives and negatives! If you're more stressed/unhappy about the prospect of researching during school, I think you have your answer. Good luck. 

It seems like the offer of a lifetime, because when else will I get to do something awesome like that? 

I'm just wondering -- could you not find opportunities like that at other times/in other places? I just thought I should point out, it hardly seems like a once in a lifetime opportunity... I love doing research, but I think there should be other opportunities for you to be involved with research.

Like I said, I love with doing research... however I don't think I could manage 20 hours a week on top of a regular graduate school schedule. 

Sounds very interesting!! And, isn't it quite typical for all assistantships to work 20 hours a week?? I know it doesn't sound easy, but the most common funding source is assistantships and I don't know of many schools that don't require 20 hous a week for those. Am I crazy?!

School is an investment. Think about it like this; while you're in it, it's like an enhanced incubation center where you learn, absorb information to prepare you for later. When you're out, it's time to apply your newly acquired gift(s).

My advice is to take the research oppotunity and take advantage of the 'incubation' ceremony, albeit difficult at times, it will pay you back in other ways. (I can only speak from experience...)

Good luck,

Ee.

Thanks to everyone for the responses, they have given me a lot to think about! I know 20 hours a week is normal for an assistantship, it just seems like so many hours on top of coursework and clinical hours. But I know plenty of people have assistantships and they survive haha. I did do research as an undergrad and I liked it, especially collecting data (similar to katieliz), but I didn't feel as passionate about it as I did working directly with kids (I'm a preschool teacher). I guess my next step will be to speak directly with the professor doing the research and see if I can picture myself in that environment. I will most definitely check out Sound and Fury, too! Thanks for the advice.

School is an investment. Think about it like this; while you're in it, it's like an enhanced incubation center where you learn, absorb information to prepare you for later. When you're out, it's time to apply your newly acquired gift(s).

My advice is to take the research oppotunity and take advantage of the 'incubation' ceremony, albeit difficult at times, it will pay you back in other ways. (I can only speak from experience...)

Good luck,

Ee.

Great metaphor  :)

Thanks to everyone for the responses, they have given me a lot to think about! I know 20 hours a week is normal for an assistantship, it just seems like so many hours on top of coursework and clinical hours. But I know plenty of people have assistantships and they survive haha. I did do research as an undergrad and I liked it, especially collecting data (similar to katieliz), but I didn't feel as passionate about it as I did working directly with kids (I'm a preschool teacher). I guess my next step will be to speak directly with the professor doing the research and see if I can picture myself in that environment. I will most definitely check out Sound and Fury, too! Thanks for the advice.

The reason I asked is because one of my schools has offered me an assistantship and it's going to be 20 hours a week.  I thought that would be pretty normal, but now you have me a little worried if I can handle it!!  I would be working in the clinic though, so hopefully the experiences would be well worth it!  

I did research during my first time in graduate school (I was in a clinical degree program but I thought I wanted a Ph.D., too). It wasn't an assistantship so I only had 10 required hours in the lab a week but it usually ended up being a lot more than that, especially around submission deadlines for conferences.

It's really just a matter of your priorities. It sounds like you don't want to do the research for the research itself but rather for the experience and the financial benefits. If I were you I'd try to make a list of your priorities and rank it. How important is it that you get a unique experience? How important is it that you are debt free? How important is it that you go to the higher ranked institution?

If you can figure out what your real goals are, it might help you decide whether it's worth it or not.

Edited by aucinema

I did research during my first time in graduate school (I was in a clinical degree program but I thought I wanted a Ph.D., too). It wasn't an assistantship so I only had 10 required hours in the lab a week but it usually ended up being a lot more than that, especially around submission deadlines for conferences.

It's really just a matter of your priorities. It sounds like you don't want to do the research for the research itself but rather for the experience and the financial benefits. If I were you I'd try to make a list of your priorities and rank it. How important is it that you get a unique experience? How important is it that you are debt free? How important is it that you go to the higher ranked institution?

If you can figure out what your real goals are, it might help you decide whether it's worth it or not.

Yes that is a really good point. Easier said than done though.. I can't decide what my true priorities are and I'm terrified of making the wrong decision! 

Well, just remember that there's no way to absolutely know which decision is going to be the best down the road. Each choice will have its own pros and cons! Don't stress yourself out over it too much!