Michigan Campus Visit Day

ashmoze

Hi there,

I know I saw some other people post about being accepted to the Masters Higher Ed. program at the University of Michigan, and I thought it deserved its own thread.

Is anyone else attending the Campus Visit Day this Friday?  I just got my schedule and saw I only have three interviews scheduled.  That seems a little low to me, but I'm looking forward to them.  I am also looking forward to seeing the campus and meeting some people in person.  It makes this whole process feel a bit more real.

Who's with me? :)

I will be there! I have 5 interviews scheduled and sent in 10 cover letters, if that gives you any idea. Time to start prepping I guess!

I will not be there, but they were awesome enough to set me up with three interviews via phone or skype. I am just waiting for those positions to get back to me so I can schedule interviews. I sent in 5 applications, and have interviews with two on my list and one that I did not express interest in. Hope this info helps!

They only gave me two interviews :( but then again, I only had a few hours to spare on the cover letters and only sent out eight. Excited to see all of you there!

Well on the plus side, with less interviews you can prep more for each one! I imagine it's going to be tough doing 5 interviews and keeping everything straight, especially since I'll be waking up at about 3 a.m. to get ready for the drive up. eek.

• 2 weeks later...

I heard about the scholarships too and have one internship offer.  I think I'm still not going to be able to cover the cost of out-of-state tuition though.  If I don't get more funding anywhere else, maybe I'll move to Michigan and re-apply or see if I can defer my admission to Fall 2014.  

Oh, money...

Michigan girl, you're absolutely right.  Thanks for the info.  I didn't realize it was so much harder at Michigan to get declared in-state than at other schools.  Oh well.  I would love to go through, but even with a scholarship, I would have to take out way more loans than I think I'm comfortable with.

Nicolemae, I really liked it.  My one gripe is they scheduled only one campus tour, and it was during the interviews so I couldn't go.  I realize that in grad school, you're usually limited to one or two buildings, but I would like to have seen the campus more.  However, I found everyone extremely friendly and helpful.  I've always heard nothing but good things about UM.  Also, I stayed in a Red Roof Inn with a Big Boy attached.  Does it get any fancier than that?  

Michigan girl, you're absolutely right.  Thanks for the info.  I didn't realize it was so much harder at Michigan to get declared in-state than at other schools.  Oh well.  I would love to go through, but even with a scholarship, I would have to take out way more loans than I think I'm comfortable with.

Nicolemae, I really liked it.  My one gripe is they scheduled only one campus tour, and it was during the interviews so I couldn't go.  I realize that in grad school, you're usually limited to one or two buildings, but I would like to have seen the campus more.  However, I found everyone extremely friendly and helpful.  I've always heard nothing but good things about UM.  Also, I stayed in a Red Roof Inn with a Big Boy attached.  Does it get any fancier than that?  

I loved how the faculty hung around with us all day! It really gave me a better picture of what the classroom setting would look like, and which professor I'd get along with as an informal "mentor"/networking contact. Also, the tour was just bad pIanning on their part. I think a good half of us didn't get to go, including myself... so I just ended up wandering around the area during down time between interviews. I stalked some other students/locals for a bit at a coffee shop and followed undergrad tour groups whenever I found one. It was nice! UM has some gorgeous buildings; I didn't expect that.

Nonetheless, I have some concerns about the program, like the addition of the new concentrations (seemingly without much preparation as to what they will look like) + my favorite faculty members going on sabbatical.