GW (Asian Studies) Vs American (Int'l Affairs - Regional and Comparative) VS UCSD (Pacific International Affairs)

Right now I have George Washington and American in the lead for their overall IR rankings and their presence in Washington, DC.  It has been harder for me to find information regarding their reputations for excellence in Asian politics / studies, and I wanted to ask your opinions.  I know this may vary regarding my plans--initially I plan on doing a terminal MA focusing on China (with a focus on either strategic thinking of Chinese policy-makers and elites; or alternatively on strategic relations between China and India).  After my MA, I would like to work at a think tank / NGO / or even a business in Asia if I am not already working for State.  I could see myself returning for a PhD after work experience.

Thank you!

After my MA, I would like to work at a think tank / NGO / or even a business in Asia if I am not already working for State.

If you're looking for terminal MA with entry into policy/think tank, GWU Elliot is one of the best places to be, period.  Elliot is right across from the state department, and they feed lots of people into internships and PMF.  It's a good place to be.

Just a word of warning, though ... State is insanely difficult to get into.  More than you think.  You and every other Elliot grad is going to want to get a job as an FAO when you graduate, so your competition will be stiff.  All the more reason to make extremely strong connections and to work as many relevant internships as possible.

Right now I have George Washington and American in the lead for their overall IR rankings and their presence in Washington, DC

AU is a decent school - it's strong for an MA; however, both GWU ranks better across the board, and has a stronger reputation here in the DC area.

I misread the notice from Georgetown.  I am actually waitlisted.  So add that to the equation.

If anything, that simplifies the equation.  A waitlist is not an acceptance, so unless you feel like rolling the dice, I'd stick with GWU.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

I'm in a similiar situation, so far I have acceptance to Georgetown Asian Studies and Elliot Asian studies, waitlisted for the MIA at SIPA. I have pretty much decided that being in DC is an important factor for career building and networking, but as to which program I am not yet totally sure. Elliot has an excellent Asian studies curriculum, and Georgetowns is just starting out, and seems somewhat less organized. The faculty might even be more impressive at Elliot, which may go against conventional wisdom. I am leaning Elliot but will have to see.