CMU Masters in Software Engineering vs Cornell MEng - Computer Science

oakanji

I have been admitted to the CMU MSE program and the Cornell MEng program. Both are professional Masters programs. The Cornell offer included a $20k Scholarship and is a year long, while the Carnegie Mellon program is 16 months and more expensive (no scholarship).

Considering that CMU is rated higher than Cornell for Computer Science but the Cornell name is more recognizable, I need some opinions. Having a shorter program might also be a disadvantage in terms of securing a good job.

Is anyone familiar with either or both programs? Which would you recommend and why?

Also, I'm still awaiting a decision on Columbia MS in Computer Science but really don't think that program can compare with CMU or Cornell. Any thoughts?

Supposedly employers consider a Cornell MEng at the same level as any other Master's degree - so from an employment perspective, it is equivalent. The only caveat is that there's no time for an internship - so you pretty much have to apply for jobs straight away (or very soon after you start) - when employers starting doing their campus recruitment rounds.

Also, if I'm looking at the right course - the MSE at CMU is software engineering and not computer science? Presumably the two courses have different interests. Which of these do you prefer? 

Personally I'd pick Cornell - unless you have any particular reason to go for Carnegie Mellon (such as courses that are more relevant or more attractive to your interests). 

Edited by ssk2

I got the email on 3/11 for the Cornell MEng program. I still haven't made a decision yet, but I am leaning towards Cornell. I applied to the dual MBA/MEng program and will be waiting till the MBA admission decision before I commit.

I don't think so. If it helps, I'm waiting for an email (although I know I already have an offer - applied early and they uploaded a decision letter in November but no email yet).

Congratulations Okanji and ssk2 for your acceptance at UBC and cornell.

Can you guys please help me? so I have a question now. I'm a genetics major and am minoring in CS from Purdue. I want to apply to CS graduate school and thought maybe i should take the CS subject GRE as well. My stat's are:

Cum. GPA : 3.47

Minor GPA (CS) :4.00

Research experience: 2 years

I have three LOR's from three different professors working in bioinformatics field. One of the professor is a CS faculty memeber and the other two professors are associate professors in both biological science and computer science departments.

All three LOR's are really good. I'll be taking GRE during the summer. 

My question : Is there a really good chance I would be admitted for CS graduate program at a top tier graduate school? I wasn't sure since I'm really interested in getting a MS in CS and later working in bioinformatics and even maybe database management. 

Thanks in advance!  :)

Do you have any publications? They help massively.

Looks like you have a decent profile - if you boss the GRE (which isn't difficult to do) and write a good statement of purpose, I think you have a great shot! 

Don't worry about the CS GRE - they're discontinuing it in April (http://www.ets.org/gre/subject/about/content/computer_science).

Congratulations Okanji and ssk2 for your acceptance at UBC and cornell.

Can you guys please help me? so I have a question now. I'm a genetics major and am minoring in CS from Purdue. I want to apply to CS graduate school and thought maybe i should take the CS subject GRE as well. My stat's are:

Cum. GPA : 3.47

Minor GPA (CS) :4.00

Research experience: 2 years

I have three LOR's from three different professors working in bioinformatics field. One of the professor is a CS faculty memeber and the other two professors are associate professors in both biological science and computer science departments.

All three LOR's are really good. I'll be taking GRE during the summer. 

My question : Is there a really good chance I would be admitted for CS graduate program at a top tier graduate school? I wasn't sure since I'm really interested in getting a MS in CS and later working in bioinformatics and even maybe database management. 

Thanks in advance!  :)

3.47 GPA is on the low side. More importantly, which CS courses have you taken? If you have a 4.0 with some architecture and discrete math, then you have a better chance. You could try applying to a bioinformatics / comp bio program and take CS courses on the side. That will utilize your biology background more.

• 4 months later...
  • 9 years later...

I have knowledge about both the CMU MSE program and the Cornell MEng program in Computer Science. While CMU has been consistently highly regarded in the field, Cornell's name recognition has also held value over the years. Considering the program duration and financial aspect is still important, as a shorter program may have potential drawbacks when it comes to securing good job opportunities. Also, it's worth noting that the Columbia MS program in Computer Science has made significant advancements in recent years. So, what are your specific career goals and how do they align with the strengths of each program?