Worth time and money to visit the schools?

av260987

Hi,

I'm an international student and I'm wondering whether I should make a trip to the US to check out the schools that have admitted me before I make a decision.

I want to visit because I am not sure if I can make a decision just by checking the school website and talking to faculty/alumni/current students via phone/email. 

But the problem is that I am working full-time and may not get leave. Also, I'm not sure if it makes sense to spend all that money.

Any thoughts? Is it possible to decide about a school without visiting it?

I recommend it I went to school in the US for undergrad and as I studied in India it was impossible to do it (due to exam scheduling). I will not say I was disappointed and i got a great education but I would have chosen a different school! Now a days I am doing it (granted I live in Latin America, which makes it at most a 5 hour plane ride to my farthest away school) and Easter vacations plus other national holidays help. But I would say if you are going to invest a lot of money plus two years of your life, the 1k dollars and ten days off are worth it!

Hi av260987,

It sounds like you got in to some great programs -- congratulations! 

Is it possible to decide on a school without visiting it?  Sure it is (although probably not ideal), but a few additional thoughts:

(1) Will any of the programs you were accepted to provide funding to cover you attending their admitted students day?  I don't think this is very common, but I know programs like WWS do.  It might be worth checking.

(2) Some programs post webcasts of their admitted students day online (e.g. SIPA, Tufts).  It might be worth asking if the programs you're considering are intending to do the same, and if so, whether it would be possible to attend online.

Otherwise, you might just need to try and speak with as many current/former students as possible in order to make the most informed decision possible.

I wish you the best of luck!

One thing though, I was admitted to LBJ where they do give their best fellowship students money to travel (which I was) but as I am international they will not cover it, even though my flight was only 210 dollars, so you might not get it!

I recommend it I went to school in the US for undergrad and as I studied in India it was impossible to do it (due to exam scheduling). I will not say I was disappointed and i got a great education but I would have chosen a different school! Now a days I am doing it (granted I live in Latin America, which makes it at most a 5 hour plane ride to my farthest away school) and Easter vacations plus other national holidays help. But I would say if you are going to invest a lot of money plus two years of your life, the 1k dollars and ten days off are worth it!

I know you're right. That's why I'm thinking about it seriously now especially because I'm so confused. Thanks for your perspective :) 

Hi av260987,

It sounds like you got in to some great programs -- congratulations! 

Is it possible to decide on a school without visiting it?  Sure it is (although probably not ideal), but a few additional thoughts:

(1) Will any of the programs you were accepted to provide funding to cover you attending their admitted students day?  I don't think this is very common, but I know programs like WWS do.  It might be worth checking.

(2) Some programs post webcasts of their admitted students day online (e.g. SIPA, Tufts).  It might be worth asking if the programs you're considering are intending to do the same, and if so, whether it would be possible to attend online.

Otherwise, you might just need to try and speak with as many current/former students as possible in order to make the most informed decision possible.

I wish you the best of luck!

Hi gatsby8724,

Thank you!

You make some very good points. I can check with the schools about both the things you mentioned and then decide I guess :)