University of California Irvine (UCI)

bio0930

Anyone else going to UCI?  I just completed my SIR and will begin in the Fall for their gateway program in Mathematical, Computational and Systems Biology (MCSB).  I'm looking forward to moving to California this Fall.

Hi Bio - I will be attending UCI as well, for Psychology and Social Behavior!  I am really looking forward to moving out there.  Aside from the whole finding a place to live and moving all my stuff out there, I am ready to go there NOW because I am so excited! I have a few months of work left and then I will start visiting and will likely move out in August some time.

I'm just going to live in the guaranteed housing for graduate students to save myself the stress of finding a new house (housing.uci.edu).  Also like you I'll be heading out in the middle of August, a month before the quarter starts to try to get things situated somewhat.  Yeh I'm stuck at my regular job until the middle of August, and would love to just pick up and move but that's not an option.  Just a few more months.  I am trying to not wish the next few months to go by too quick, coz I'm sure I'll be super busy in grad school in the Fall.

• 4 weeks later...

I finally made my final decision and hit the SIR today, for the Department of Earth System Science.  I will be starting as an employee research assistant over the summer so that I can kickstart my dissertation research before a first year full of coursework.  I will most likely live in the on-campus grad student housing, at least for the first year.  I've seen it in person, and it is quite nice.  The only thing I don't like about it is it seems they do very little in the way of roommate matching.  They just ask whether you smoke or own a cat, and whether you would be willing to live with somebody who does (smoke or own a cat).  There is no way of choosing one's roommate like you can in the "real world" and no attempt to try matching people based on sleep schedule, cleanliness habits, etc.

Hi! I'll be entering the PhD in English program and moving in September. Even though I'm in the Humanities, my specialization demands that I keep close quarters with CogSci, Psych and Neuroscience people too, so maybe I will cross paths with a few of you at some point :) I'm wondering a bit more about roommate assignment as well - do they tend to group people by year, or program, or what?

I will also be attending UCI this fall for the PhD program in Sociology. I am actually from Orange County originally so I am going full circle so to speak. I am planning to live on campus but if anyone has questions about which areas to live in or where to look for affordable housing feel free to send me a PM. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well in just a week or two we'll find out our community assignments.  Now I'm in that "regret" stage as I realized I probably should've listed ALL of the options in palo verde and verano place, instead of just a couple from each...  

Did anyone get any campus housing offers yet? We decided to try our luck at a few of them, just in case. Anyway, I got an email yesterday from Vista del Campo which is grad and undergrad, so we're not too keen on it. Did anyone get offers from the grad housings?

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck to you all on housing assignments!  I turned down the guaranteed housing and plan to find an off-campus apartment close by.  Anyone else doing the same?

We got Verano Place, as I've got a wife and a kid.  My only options were that or Verano Place.  I don't think we can beat the price, and the location to the campus, so I'm just gonna stick with campus housing.

We got Verano Place, as I've got a wife and a kid.  My only options were that or Verano Place.  I don't think we can beat the price, and the location to the campus, so I'm just gonna stick with campus housing.
Yeah, I think my SO and I will be doing the same, at least for the first year. Better than commuting in Cali traffic haha

I'll be attending UCI for Physical/Atmospheric Chemistry in the fall.  I spent last summer there doing an NSF-funded REU, which may have had a SLIGHT influence on my choice ;) .  I got into Palo Verde.  Hopefully we get specific room assignments soon, as I will be coming form Minnesota, and it'd be nice to begin getting moving arrangements settled.

• 2 weeks later...

Attending the graduate programme in history. Got a housing offer for 'Campus Village', but its grad+undergrad. Does anyone know if we can move say next year? I've heard that both PV and VP are decent places to stay.

I'll be attending UCI for Organic Chemistry in the fall. I'll be living in Palo Verde, but I wish they would hurry up and tell me my room assignments and when I can move in so I can start planning. I'll be moving from NYC.

Actually, I just got mine today! Ugh, even though I ranked it so that all the expensive options were on the bottom...I still got an expensive place in PV :( I'm living with a fifth year though...kind of...unexpected.

• 3 weeks later...